Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Mp3s being louder is most likely the dynamic range has been compressed to give a perceived increase in detail. The upper limit of 0db should not be reached in any case.

To do so is a break away form the hard rules any decent recording studio has to adhere to. And if it is clipping, going beyond 0db, reducing the levels will not 'fill in' the data. If you open up the file in sound software, and view the wave form, you will see the louder elements going above 0db are sliced off, so flat, no extra data is there to 'complete' the detail. So reducing levels in Room or whatever will not repair the missing or truncated data.

Pop music is often compressed in dynamic range anyway, regardless of bit rate or file format. But it should NOT go above 0db.

So what I am saying is, you shouldn't need to cap the levels on your DAC no matter which format or file types you are playing. Just reduce the volume on your pre-amp.

On digital volume capping, I need to be convinced there is no loss, I can hear it in all the software I have used to date.

I remember s big backlash when Metallica recorded Death Metallic, as it had obvious digital clipping and sounded hideous. Apparently the mixing engineer has a big argument with the band, and refused to do it, but they threatened to walk out. So he did it anyway. You can't get any louder than 0db on a digital file. The only way to increase perceived loudness is compass the dynamic range. so the mid level sound comes up to nearer the high level sounds.

On your Lampi DAC, if you do hear a better most balanced sound by reducing levels, I would say that you are overloading your pre-amp input. This is nothing to do with clipping in the data file, and is probably an issue with your DAC, not a universal issue. Maybe try different tubes to reduce the output?
It's not about loss it's an obvious clipping at the input of any dac I have tried 5 in total
It's real now of there ages losses I can't hear any and i used software to show me bit depth to know when it's getting a loss
My system is so transparent I can easily know a MP3 from red book and above
I can tell formats as well.
Flac even at no compression and not enabled is a bit glazed compared to AIFF or wav.
They have many more layers and seem a bit softer for it.
I know what I hear I just sound like others to try as asked them comment please

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
A test for you. Get a music track in both AIFF and MP3 format (same track). Open both in a sound software program, and look at the amount of clipped samples. There should be no more in one version than the other. The track you are hearing probably sounds louder as the dynamic range has been reduced by the studio on that mp3 version to sound better / louder on portables. It will sound louder, but the peaks should not go beyond 0db. That is my point.

If what you are saying applies to all DACs, then everyone who has a digital system needs to use software volume reduction to make it 'sound right' which I disagree on.

Anyone else shime in?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
It is common knowledge pop music producers / studios are reducing the dynamic range to cheat, make their music sound louder than the other bands. It is suprising how much extra volume can be generated by doing this. But is is a cheat, and does not go into clipping (0db).

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Still not the point here and more software does not Prove what we hear
Ill get a link to share one file. Also this is not one song or album it's a cross all

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Here is a fascinating write-up by the esteemed Myles Astor where he details his recent visit to our own AlRainbow's reference room:

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/...E9G5CcAwJ8fBrA2Ul-Lj167T5Qo1mfDue3egSy5OcrgHU

Al has worked extremely hard in getting his system and room to the level it has reached and it is a wonderful affirmation of his efforts to to read this kind of feedback from such a seasoned vet with a penchant for analog!

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While i very lucky to have him there I got to watch how he does does his work. It's an amazing process that I came to realize at the end of our visit. I my self have been to many setups and yes there is things one can pickup fast. But not nearly to his degree nor his findings.
My setup is complex and it's size is a bit intimidating too. But Myles cut things down to size and put things into perspective and was a really cool thing to see happen.
My outlook on some reviewers has moved up and down over the years. It was great to see and read of someone I always had a high regard for do there work.

Reactions: abeidrov and Golum

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Lucky indeed. I think it's great that your system got the recognition it deserved. Your rig is among the most special I've ever experienced.

Speaking of, I've gotta make it back over to you when you've got some free time--especially now that your Pacific is fully burned in.

Reactions: Alrainbow and Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
And don't forget the GG2 coming in soon. I loved the sound of yours so much I bought one as well.
The pair will Be a great varied view like we do with more than one TT or tone arm etc. When I can I'll be posting pics and comments on each and both side by side.
All I can say is this is an amazing dac to hear at my place and to roll tubes gives many perspectives to make my music new AGAIN !!!

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Great stuff Al great stuff. I know what you’re talking about GG2 as really is special..enjoy your toys!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
And don't forget the GG2 coming in soon. I loved the sound of yours so much I bought one as well.
The pair will Be a great varied view like we do with more than one TT or tone arm etc. When I can I'll be posting pics and comments on each and both side by side.
All I can say is this is an amazing dac to hear at my place and to roll tubes gives many perspectives to make my music new AGAIN !!!

You can become a dealer now, Al

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Does anyone know if the ethernet input/Roon endpoint functionality on the Pacific has been made available as a GG2 upgrade yet?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Does anyone know if the ethernet input/Roon endpoint functionality on the Pacific has been made available as a GG2 upgrade yet?
Not that I know of...I believe it will not be available on GG2.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Not that I know of...I believe it will not be available on GG2.

Hmm, that is a shame. Getting rid of all my ancillary streaming hardware would be a good excuse for me to upgrade to the GG2.

Just as an aside, what is the Golden Gate 2.5 listed in your signature (as in what is the .5)?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hmm, that is a shame. Getting rid of all my ancillary streaming hardware would be a good excuse for me to upgrade to the GG2.

Just as an aside, what is the Golden Gate 2.5 listed in your signature (as in what is the .5)?
What is your ancillary streaming HW? I don't have any - music server - USB - DAC...very simple.
It is just at this present day regular GG2...back then when I got it as it was a beta testing unit with several new things we called it GG2.5 as an internal joke...
BTW - GG2 vs GG1 -> there is a significant improvement in sound...guess Al owning a Pacific and ordering additional GG2 to have both of them speaks for itself ;-)

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
What is your ancillary streaming HW? I don't have any - music server - USB - DAC...very simple.
It is just at this present day regular GG2...back then when I got it as it was a beta testing unit with several new things we called it GG2.5 as an internal joke...
BTW - GG2 vs GG1 -> there is a significant improvement in sound...guess Al owning a Pacific and ordering additional GG2 to have both of them speaks for itself ;-)

"ancillary streaming hardware" for me is SoTM SMS200Ultra > SoTM txUSBUltra plus external clock, plus power supplies for all three. I've had enough of all the boxes, I just want to go ethernet directly in to the DAC.

Incidentally I don't have a GG1, but a B7.

I loaned a SE B7 years ago, one of the original versions with the point-to-point wiring, and it was magical in the three dimensional image it created in my system. Three years later, and the balanced B7 I have now (a more updated version with the printed circuit board), whilst nice, delivers nowhere near the magic of that first unit. I'm kind of hoping that if I eventually move to a GG2, I can recapture some of that magic. Who knows, maybe it was just exclusive to that point-to-point wired version. It is a bit annoying that Lukasz doesn't keep a consistent design within the same model.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
"ancillary streaming hardware" for me is SoTM SMS200Ultra > SoTM txUSBUltra plus external clock, plus power supplies for all three. I've had enough of all the boxes, I just want to go ethernet directly in to the DAC.

Incidentally I don't have a GG1, but a B7.

I loaned a SE B7 years ago, one of the original versions with the point-to-point wiring, and it was magical in the three dimensional image it created in my system. Three years later, and the balanced B7 I have now (a more updated version with the printed circuit board), whilst nice, delivers nowhere near the magic of that first unit. I'm kind of hoping that if I eventually move to a GG2, I can recapture some of that magic. Who knows, maybe it was just exclusive to that point-to-point wired version. It is a bit annoying that Lukasz doesn't keep a consistent design within the same model.
This just stroke me what I bolded...I had the same feeling - I tested SE DerSiebener (Lite7 for German market) and I loved it and had exactly the same feeling as you had. Than I ordered GG1 Bal and I did not have that magic. But with GG2.(5) all the magic was back and even so much more that I feel I'm in heaven.
On top, I decided never again to go with Bal due to the fuss with quad of tubes (despite I have Bal system). With SE you can play easily...
Regarding consistent design - as we speak this is a thing of the past (confirmed)...but if you can stretch Pacific is something special...

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, dunno why so many people (even with SE system) were so hot for Bal Dacs.

Wookii, check out the GA TRP, GG2 and Pac. Try to get an in home demo...
ALWAYS, get the Vol Ctrl option too (a must in my books) as you will be able to optimize with ANY amp setup that way.

If you definitely want the Ethernet, then Pac is the way to go...ask for ex-demo or used units.

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Yes, dunno why so many people (even with SE system) were so hot for Bal Dacs.

Wookii, check out the GA TRP, GG2 and Pac. Try to get an in home demo...
ALWAYS, get the Vol Ctrl option too (a must in my books) as you will be able to optimize with ANY amp setup that way.

If you definitely want the Ethernet, then Pac is the way to go...ask for ex-demo or used units.

Hey Norman, funny you say that - the magical SE B7 that I home trialled way back, also had a volume control, but my current B7 doesn't - though on the loaner unit, I always set volume to max, and controlled it via my preamp.

So the lack of 'magic' with my current unit could be the balanced vs SE issue, or the lack of a volume control (or both).

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Wooky

What tubes did you use in the demo big7 back then and what tubes are you using now?

Wookii

Jan 7, 2015
Hi Wooky

What tubes did you use in the demo big7 back then and what tubes are you using now?

Hey Christoph,

Back with the p2p wired B7 it had Psvane 101D's and some EML 45 mesh tubes I think. The EML's sounded dreadful at the time (flat and lifeless), but the 101D's sounded amazing. Can't remember the recti - whatever was stock back then (5U4G perhaps?). All I remember was the palpable three dimensionality of the thing, it was awesome - the best my system has ever sounded.

With my current unit I have the 101D's, 242's, Psvane UK 300B, KR-300B RK versions and KR 45's, and a bunch of recti's including the Tak 274B, KR 5U4G Anni, Chatham 5R4WGA, EML Mesh 5U4G, a cheap Shuguang 274B, and a big ugly USAF 596 thing with wires coming out of it that I've not really used much.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing