Outstanding Sound Improvement with Videos before-after/ VYDA Cables

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al where it is true it is not offensive... just where it is not true.

I believe most everyone has mixed drivers for doing things... and where does this place people who have a system thread where they put multiple images of their systems and written self reviews extolling their achievements... some over 50 pages and with over a thousand posts of self involvement... would it be true if I strongly believe posters who have system threads simply want to show off and are the typical insecure audiophiles who want constant affirmation. I bet they are fully aware how inflated and wrong their self assessments are.

Hehe, good one, Graham. I readily admitted above (# 152) that I am self-absorbed as well, and I am keenly aware of it. So yes, I am more than happy to concede that you have a point!! :D

Yet I am not insecure. I was always the first one to point out shortcomings of my system, on my system thread and elsewhere. If friends criticize my system upon hearing it I don't usually go into defensive mode. Often they do have a point that is easy to see and very helpful, therefore much appreciated; other times I simply don't care about their criticism. In some cases of course there are legitimate disagreements where I refuse to yield. Yet even in some of those instances I happen to change my mind over the years as well.

At the same time I am equally glad to report when system shortcomings diminish or some of them even disappear. And yes, after all the improvements my system still has considerable shortcomings, which however I am happy to live with. No system is perfect, but I love mine.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe if the listener moves, he has to settle down for 30 mins before any judgements can be valid. Too bad if you're altering things more than twice, it's gonna be a VERY long day.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I believe if the listener moves, he has to settle down for 30 mins before any judgements can be valid. Too bad if you're altering things more than twice, it's gonna be a VERY long day.

ROFL!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hehe, good one, Graham. I readily admitted above (# 152) that I am self-absorbed as well, and I am keenly aware of it. So yes, I am more than happy to concede that you have a point!! :D

Yet I am not insecure. I was always the first one to point out shortcomings of my system, on my system thread and elsewhere. If friends criticize my system upon hearing it I don't usually go into defensive mode. Often they do have a point that is easy to see and very helpful, therefore much appreciated; other times I simply don't care about their criticism. In some cases of course there are legitimate disagreements where I refuse to yield. Yet even in some of those instances I happen to change my mind over the years as well.

At the same time I am equally glad to report when system shortcomings diminish or some of them even disappear. And yes, after all the improvements my system still has considerable shortcomings, which however I am happy to live with. No system is perfect, but I love mine.
I think it’s all in the love of what we are doing... busting to share the joy, a dispassionate audiophile, there never has been one that has the fuel to keep it going. Enthusiasm is the fuel... it comes with the heart.

Reactions: howiebrou and Al M.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Cables need to "settle" now. That's just the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

There are real reasons why cables need to "settle". Exactly why do you think this isn't the case?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think it’s all in the love of what we are doing... busting to share the joy, a dispassionate audiophile, there never has been one that has the fuel to keep it going. Enthusiasm is the fuel... it comes with the heart.

Yes, enthusiasm is the fuel!

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Al where it is true it is not offensive... just where it is not true.

I believe most everyone have mixed drivers for doing things... and where does this place people who have a system thread where they put multiple images of their systems and written giant self reviews extolling their considered achievements... some over 50 pages and with over a thousand posts of self involvement... would it be true if I strongly believe posters who have system threads simply want to show off and are the typical insecure audiophiles who want constant affirmation. I bet they are fully aware how inflated and wrong their self assessments are.

... and ofcourse I wouldn’t because I genuinely don’t believe that is the principal driver for all (or hardly any) that do it. To cast a very personal negative sling at a whole group when I believe many/most people come here in a genuine attitude of sharing and not just to defame and belittle. Sorry that Ack thinks so little of so many.
How do you feel about print reviews? (hint: I found your post rather poor. Can you tell the difference between description, opinion and attempted "positive proof"?)

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
But a general comparison between videos that last at least a few minutes each does not require exact synchronization to get a sense of differences between them - assuming of course that the recordings largely cover the same passage of music . We're not comparing video A at mark 1:08 with video B at mark 1:08. If you want (pedantically) equivalent conditions the odds of that approach zero simply because the world is different by the time video B is made.

Assuming gain is left the same for both videos, that is largely irrelevant to your first paragraph argument based on starting to record at the exact same moment for each video. I assume you don't believe Vienna was trying to be dishonest. I don't.
Vienna is known for being to honest, not dishonest ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That’s why I wear a nappy during listening sessions...
Oh, I think you'll find most of the hobby is screaming babies waiting to be potty trained.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I strongly believe video posters simply want to show off and are the typical insecure audiophiles who want constant affirmation. I bet they are fully aware how bad the sound is in their videos.
And i believe non video poster are just insecure about their system, and don't want to be called out on their potential bad sound/hearing ;) And i am one of them. And then there is Marc who would post 5 videos a day, but just does not know how ! Thank god !:rolleyes:

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Have just realised that i haven’t uploaded photos of these amazing cables

View attachment 73842 View attachment 73843
They look beautifully made Vienna, was there any insights into what metals, gauge and geometry of the cables and the cores they have used. The only thing I could find was that either silver or rhodium plating is on the connectors, would be great to know their design approach. Also very glad that they are working so well for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna and Lagonda

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Please give me the scientific reasons that cables need to settle referencing non-audio scientific articles.

Thanks Dave.

No. As Ack said, it's been gone over here many times. Your response says it all. I ask you for the reason for your claim and you just repeat back what I said and ignore my request, while expecting me to honor yours? No, no and... no.

I've said cables need to settle countless times and gave reasons for it. You just said it's the stupidest thing you've ever heard. IMO, what's worse is having a strong opinion about things you don't understand.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Plus the fact that this video is an additional data point to other videos which Vienna will put up which might validate or not findings from the first video, and that these cables are used by the general, Gian, and Rhapsody. So, even if there is a gain difference, so what? Even if there wasn't, had that been the only data point, it wouldn't have amounted to much. As data points grow, they amount to something even if the gain for that video was different

Sure, okay . I did not mean to validate perceptions as much as push back on micro's general assertion that video comparison is flawed without precise gain matching with instruments. As for the cables at hand, endorsement from experienced end-users whose judgement is valued has considerable weight - at least for me - more so than a pair of videos. Here he videos were relative comparisons showing remarkable difference. If hypothetically Vienna had a different brand than Wirewold, (say, Bew's LFD) then the comparative difference might not have been as great. I have not thought much on this but speculate different data points take on different importance for different people. I agree they accumulate, eventually tipping the scale.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Please give me the scientific reasons that cables need to settle referencing non-audio scientific articles.

Thanks Dave.
Shunyata also talk about this; see https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/shunyata-research-sigma-phono-cable/ among other links

While all electronics, including cables, usually require a few days to acclimate themselves from travel to their new environment, new position, room temperature, etc., you can consider the Sigma Phono Cable broken-in after that settling period. You'll know its true character almost out of the box. To my knowledge that's an industry first for phono cables, or any cable for that matter.
Not sure what sort of scientific proof you need here. Dielectrics settle, metals settle, meats cure, rubber tires harden...

Reactions: tima

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave,
I'm asking you to show me an article from a scientific journal so I can understand. I have a strong opinion that I would like to see proof.

Am I'm assuming too much to ask a person that sells something to provide proof of the recommendations that they are making? We are moving back into a world where facts and proof matter, are you ready? Or do you also sell pillows?

Absolutely NO.

You just said what I've claimed on here many times is the "stupidest thing I've ever heard". And you want me to engage? Lol...

I don't think it's worth my time. You are free to look up my previous posts on the subject, which include instrumented testing of burn-in complete with graphs of how frequency response changed and explanations for why it happens. But I'm not going to spoon feed you.

And your last paragraph is just projection. You're the one who has a strong opinion with no understanding of facts. Your beliefs are based on your own internal fantasies and logical fallacies, not real research into the subject.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
And i believe non video poster are just insecure about their system, and don't want to be called out on their potential bad sound/hearing ;) And i am one of them. And then there is Marc who would post 5 videos a day, but just does not know how ! Thank god !:rolleyes:

Hehe, good ones.

I have always been eager to show off my system to anyone who wants to listen to it in person -- my audiophile friends can attest to that! No insecurity when it comes to this.

Yet I don't think that iPhone videos can do the dynamics, tone and presence of a good system in any way justice. I look forward to hear what Ron can do with more professional equipment, that should be so much better, even though still not sufficient in absolute terms.

While the digital compression of the YouTube format is still a problem for sound quality, I must say that many videos of classical concerts on YouTube sound so much better than any system video that I have heard. It's simply no comparison. It's professional equipment and engineering vs iPhone.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Absolutely NO.

You just said what I've claimed on here many times is the "stupidest thing I've ever heard". And you want me to engage? Lol...

I don't think it's worth my time. You are free to look up my previous posts on the subject, which include instrumented testing of burn-in complete with graphs of how frequency response changed and explanations for why it happens. But I'm not going to spoon feed you.

And your last paragraph is just projection. You're the one who has a strong opinion with no understanding of facts. Your beliefs are based on your own internal fantasies and logical fallacies, not real research into the subject.
Dave would be showing Jeffrey a clip showing the effect of cable settle and Ack would disapprove the video also. It has to be their way or the high way

Vienna

VIP/Donor
They look beautifully made Vienna, was there any insights into what metals, gauge and geometry of the cables and the cores they have used. The only thing I could find was that either silver or rhodium plating is on the connectors, would be great to know their design approach. Also very glad that they are working so well for you.
Hi what I know for VYDA ICs is that high attention is given to the insulation again EMI/RFI, they are made of OFC silver posted treated in low temperatures and that each conductor is separately insulated with cotton fibres. I also know that air is used as part of the dielectric.

For the power cables, the designer has written to me that they are of enough size to safely conduct 60 Amperes. He has also stated that the alloy used is copper silver infused and double cotton insulation is used as dielectric.

Jeff, I will leave it to those who know more than I.

It might be interesting for Vienna to comment on this as he gets his cables in and starts to listen to them. I wrote it above, part in jest, but also as a potential criticism because I was told by a manufacturer to allow his power cord to fully settle before doing any serious listening and certainly before reaching any conclusions. I don't know if the VYDA manufacture gives such advice.

On the other hand, I was told by DDK to simply plug in my five Ching Cheng power cords and enjoy. He told me I would hear the improvement immediately. I did. I barely noticed any change over time, either because of the wire breaking in process or the cord remaining motionless over time. Some footers need days/weeks to settle. I have heard my electronics improve over the first few days out of the box.

Vienna, do you have any information about this from VYDA?
Peter I am speaking very often with Jorn Janczak the Owner and designer of Tidal Audio, he is my friend.
At the time he had shipped my speakers, i remember that he told me to leave them to settle at my space for 24 hours before connecting them, for them to settle at the conditions of my home. He repeated the same when he sent me my cables. On my question for the reason, his response was, that during transportation the speakers and cables are undergone through excessive temperature and pressure variations which are apparently affecting their performance.

Some years ago a mature audiophile had advised that cables doesn’t like to be moved around. It sounded very funny to me, so I was surprised to listen a similar advise form Jorn Janczak.

P.S. It’s amusing to read funny theories about videos and sound from certain users with their specific equipment. I used to own components of their system and I know first hand how they measure, how they sound and their inherited design issues. The words ‘Confidence ‘ and ‘confident’ are used very Lightly here.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing