Feb 2, 2011

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I run an Oppo 83 that has been modd'd a bit thru a Valhalla BNC cable into my Zanden DAC. a lot of people think i'm crazy...but i get to play movies thru Zanden, etc and it works blooy well while i wait for SOTA transports to come down in price, or music servers to improve in quality/ease of use. And if/when i do go SOTA transport or server...i've still got an Oppo that can play movies thru my zanden DAC. i like the flexibility.

the question is...has anyone actually compared the Oppo transport (via digital out) to higher-end transports? believe it or not, i have not done this yet. I have been told categorically, this is a big weakness in my system.

Yes, I did this last night. I played Tony Bennett/Bill Evens on my Oppo 93, my Oppo 93 and Wadia S7i as DAC, and S7i as CDP. It really was not a fair fight. The Austrian transport in the Wadia is simply quite superior to the 93's transport, and by a large margin. But, if I would not of heard the S7i as CDP, I could easily live with, and be very happy, with the 93 as transport into the S7i's DAC.

Sorry rbbert- did not mean to come off so negative.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I did this last night. I played Tony Bennett/Bill Evens on my Oppo 93, my Oppo 93 and Wadia S7i as DAC, and S7i as CDP. It really was not a fair fight. The Austrian transport in the Wadia is simply quite superior to the 93's transport, and by a large margin. But, if I would not of heard the S7i as CDP, I could easily live with, and be very happy, with the 93 as transport into the S7i's DAC.

Great!!! Thanks for that...very good to know. it seems silly...just have not ever done it. But i am seriously considering upgrading my transport to the transport that matches my DAC. If you dont mind...what were the big differences? i would imagine detail, image 'density'/signal 'strength'?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Organic wholeness, a fullness to the presentation in front of me,an emotional connection that I can perceive right away. Those are my feelings when I hear the Wadia. Now objectively, the images are more full, more fleshed out, if you will. There is more depth and girth the instruments/vocals. It is like going from Julia Roberts to the new S.I. swim suit model.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for that! Must be one good-looking digital system you've got! ;) I will say, i continue to be torn whether to stick with my Zanden DAC which i love, and finally get the Zanden transport (second hand)...or upgrade to the Stahl-Tek Vekian DAC (suppposedly even greater depth of tone)...but also hi-res. Problem is i can only do the DAC at this stage...which means i am going to be 'stuck' with Oppo only as transport for a little while longer.

Having read, re-read and re-read articles, reviews and personal emails from people...i think both are good options, but i remain very intrigued about finally having a complete digital system.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
^ Good luck, you have some great options. And remember, trying to find the rainbow is almost as exciting as finding the "pot of gold" at the end of it!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Marinjim,

Having also read/re-read posts regarding hi-res v 16/44 remasters and also NOS DACs, i am leaning towards speaking with Zanden about 'touching up' my current DAC and going with the Transport...stay tuned! Thanks again for the advice on transports.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Marinjim,

Having also read/re-read posts regarding hi-res v 16/44 remasters and also NOS DACs, i am leaning towards speaking with Zanden about 'touching up' my current DAC and going with the Transport...stay tuned! Thanks again for the advice on transports.

I have had excellent results years back with my heavily modded CJ Premier 9 DAC and the belt drive CEC and Audiomecca transports, heavenly synergistic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing