OLED TVs (LG, Sony); They Always Win Shootouts As The Very Top Best

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks Tasos. The A8Fis considerably less pricey at the moment than the newer A9F, question is whether the A9F is worth the difference, which is about 50% more! From what you just stated , I would seriously doubt it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: DaveyF

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bob, thanks for posting that. It seems that the two links you posted are to the Canadian site. The difference between the two Sony AF’s is quite considerable in price, not so much in features or ability.
The price difference here in the US is about the same...with the newer model A9F being about 50% more. The older model A1E is the same price as the newer A8F. Therefore,I’m going with the A8F.
I don’t like the LG picture quite as much, the Sony processor seems more advanced on motion. Same price for the LG 65” here as the Sony 65”.

Reactions: assessor43

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Davey - the A8F is significantly cheaper cause its on "old" model & on "runout". Given we are likely to see microled TV's in 2019 I reckon the A8F is a very smart buy.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, thanks for posting that. It seems that the two links you posted are to the Canadian site. The difference between the two Sony’s is quite considerable in price, not so much in features or ability.
The price difference here in the US is about the same...with the newer model A9F being about 50% more. Therefore,I’m going with the A8f.

Yes Davey, Best Buy Canada. I have been waiting...

The Best thing; Best Buy USA is even better! But Canada has finally gained some considerable ground price wise.

For both Canadians and Americans (North America), the LG C8, LG B8 and Sony A1E OLED TVs are the best performance and value wise; they are the smartest buys in my opinion for people who are looking for an OLED TV right now. ...Below $3,000 and ranked #1, #4 and #6 respectively.
* In the USA the Sony A8F, yes @ $3,000 it's a wise purchase (excellent).

Then the LG E8 (#3) and Sony A8F (#5), for Canada. But why pay more, unless you prefer their design, because performance wise they are no better than the lesser expensive ones (among the top six).

The LG C8 (2018 model) is the big winner for the end of the year 2018. ..And the Sony A1E (for $200 less - 2017 model).

_____

One day perhaps, in the year 2020 I will start a Canadian section of the forums; with French class immersion. :D

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey - the A8F is significantly cheaper cause its on "old" model & on "runout". Given we are likely to see microled TV's in 2019 I reckon the A8F is a very smart buy.
I think it is very possible that we will see microled in ‘19. Problem is that the price with be anything BUT micro, lol. Not sure that microled will have a better picture than OLED, but it won’t have the burn-in issue. I’m not concerned with burn-in, as I’m coming from a plasma with the same risk, and after 13 years...no burn-in issues.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

MicroLED is indeed next. But it won't be cheap.

The difference with OLED? ...Organic (OLED), non-organic (MicroLED).
Advantage of MicroLED? ...Much brighter picture (best for HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG).

The Best is yet to come . . . 2019 and beyond.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yes Davey, Best Buy Canada. I have been waiting...

The Best thing; Best Buy USA is even better! But Canada has finally gained some considerable ground price wise.

For both Canadians and Americans (North America), the LG C8, LG B8 and Sony A1E OLED TVs are the best performance and value wise; they are the smartest buys in my opinion for people who are looking for an OLED TV right now. ...Below $3,000 and ranked #1, #4 and #6 respectively.

Then the LG E8 (#3) and Sony A8F (#5). But why pay more, unless you prefer their design, because performance wise they are no better than the lesser expensive ones (among the top six).

The LG C8 (2018 model) is the big winner for the end of the year 2018. ..And the Sony A1E (for $200 less - 2017 model).

Bob, like I said, the Sony A1E is the exact same price as the newer A8F here in the states, at the moment. Therefore, I think the newer model is the better buy.
I actually think the picture quality is also very slightly better on the newer model.
I also don’t think the LG C8’s processor is quite as good as the A8F...and it’s the same price as the Sony.( in the states).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting, Bob. I still don’t think the $200 difference that is now posted makes up for the difference in processor quality. Looking at both sets in the store, I thought with motion the Sony was better. Certainly worth the extra $200 in my mind.
OTOH, the newer A9F was certainly not worth the large difference.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I agree, in the USA either the Sony A8F and LG C8 are both numero uno Best, $$ value.
Just toss a coin or let the wife (girlfriend) have the final last word. :)
Bob, are you crazy!! If you toss a coin and let the wife or the girlfriend have the final last word and make the choice, she will choose the lowly 42” model that is the most basic low cost TV in the store, LOL. :eek:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congrats on the A8F you will be getting. My pro calibration is scheduled for next week, but in the interim, I have been slowly calibrating it with the eye; I will post my final settings next week, and then the pro's. Out of the box, only Cinema Home is worth a dime - all others, and especially Standard, are junk. The good news is that you can calibrate by input and application (TV, input or apps) and likely, also by resolution. I'll say again, even HD blu-ray on the manually calibrated A8F is stunning, and 4K is extra-ordinary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing