OLED TVs (LG, Sony); They Always Win Shootouts As The Very Top Best

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Check everywhere, read anywhere, ...LG OLED TVs are always ranked the best for overall performance and value, then SONY OLED (they cost more and don't offer much more over LG).

From the most respected online publications LG OLED TVs are always the winner.
I cannot disagree with that, I've seen them enough in person to have my jaws licking the floor.
...Same for Sony OLED.

Are you still with me? How many of you dear WBF members own an OLED TV long enough to confirm what everyone, experts are saying?

We all live in different regions of the world; USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Alaska, France, Ireland, Germany, China, Russia, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Finland, Norway, Abu Dhabi, Africa, ...etc.
And the OLED TVs we buy in each country reflect the economy of that country and in comparison with other brands of TVs and technologies...LCD LED, QLED, ...

The supreme advantage of OLED is:
1. The best blacks
2, The widest viewing angle
3. The best looking picture for HDR movies

Nobody watch TV the same. Is OLED earning its laurels fairly and squarely and deservingly so?
Is it a question of strictly now, or is time entering the equation?
How long the winning streak will last for OLED?

If you have been reading this far it's because watching movies @ home, etc., matters.
It's the same thing with music listening.

Here's an informative article for your interest in the best:
? Forbes | OLED Screen Burn - Is There Really A Ticking Time Bomb Inside Your TV? | by John Archer

There is no denying that OLED TVs look deliciously gorgeous, the picture is to die for, the deep blacks are like black molasses. For your eyes only, a licence to kill, with extreme prejudice.

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Totally agree - I got an LG OLED (OLED65E8PUA) after my Pioneer plasma died and have been very happy with it. I used to do video design so I'm familiar with this area of technology and I can say that I'm blown away by the blacks on the LG OLED - what a difference it makes! Also viewing angle performance is another nice point.

In addition, the per-pixel contrast (dimming) capability of an OLED is also something that should not be left out of these comparisons. I have some UHD HDR discs that are simply stunning on the LG - a true, theatre like experience!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I got an 4K OLED for Santa Cruz, and it was a bit of a paradigm shifter for me. TV's do train the way you view things. Technicolor Expert looked strange for a bit, until I realized my perceptions were just oriented to my previous TV and needed to be re-trained to appreciate the advantages and beauty of the picture.

I have had similar paradigm shifts with certain kinds of audio improvements.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Check everywhere, read anywhere, ...LG OLED TVs are always ranked the best for overall performance and value, then SONY OLED (they cost more and don't offer much more over LG).

From the most respected online publications LG OLED TVs are always the winner.
I cannot disagree with that, I've seen them enough in person to have my jaws licking the floor.
...Same for Sony OLED.

Are you still with me? How many of you dear WBF members own an OLED TV long enough to confirm what everyone, experts are saying?

We all live in different regions of the world; USA, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Alaska, France, Ireland, Germany, China, Russia, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Finland, Norway, Abu Dhabi, Africa, ...etc.
And the OLED TVs we buy in each country reflect the economy of that country and in comparison with other brands of TVs and technologies...LCD LED, QLED, ...

The supreme advantage of OLED is:
1. The best blacks
2, The widest viewing angle
3. The best looking picture for HDR movies

Nobody watch TV the same. Is OLED earning its laurels fairly and squarely and deservingly so?
Is it a question of strictly now, or is time entering the equation?
How long the winning streak will last for OLED?

If you have been reading this far it's because watching movies @ home, etc., matters.
It's the same thing with music listening.

Here's an informative article for your interest in the best:
? Forbes | OLED Screen Burn - Is There Really A Ticking Time Bomb Inside Your TV? | by John Archer

There is no denying that OLED TVs look deliciously gorgeous, the picture is to die for, the deep blacks are like black molasses. For your eyes only, a licence to kill, with extreme prejudice.
I just bought a new Samsung QLED together with its soundBar. Is OLED the same as QLED? Samsung is more popular than LG in Thailand. People here buy Samsung also because their good reputation, popularity and connectivity in mobile phone bring cross sales to TV and other home appliances. Of course none of this is about picture quality.

Kind regards,
Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Remember this thread about two to three years from now.
Me I will, and I will keep it alive, because watching TV @ home matters; be it 4K HDR Blu-ray movies, documentaries, streaming 4K content, watching 4K sports, 4K news, playing 4K games, upscaling everything normal Blu-ray (1080p), DVD (480p) to 4K, any 4K content with or Dolby Vision or HDR10(+).

The Sony LED TVs (Z9F & Z9D) they just can't top the OLED TVs, except only when the OLED TV is experiencing the fatal coup-de-grâce...permanent burn-in. That's where LED leads, and they are brighter, great for HDR.

Then Samsung QLED third.

I dont know if you read the article or not, but I sure did.
HDR is always pushing the limit for more light, more brightness, better contrast, and that, is the race we're on, today and tomorrow. Time should be the revelator.
_____

An audiophile is normally a hi-fi stereo type of person, analog music sources, tubes, ...all that Coltrane jazz.

A videophile is normally a front projector type of person, Blu-ray and 4K HDR movie/documentary sources, hi-end video processor, ...all that Casablanca classic.

When it comes to TVs everything goes, including 3D and permanent burn-in.
With time everything changes; 3D is dead, 4K OLED is in, Burn-in becomes more reality.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just bought a new Samsung QLED together with its soundBar. Is OLED the same as QLED? Samsung is more popular than LG in Thailand. People here buy Samsung also because their good reputation, popularity and connectivity in mobile phone bring cross sales to TV and other home appliances. Of course none of this is about picture quality.

Kind regards,
Tang

I compared all of the big 3 OLED 4K TV's

LG
Sony
Samsung

and for my observations, LG was simply superior. I know many say the blacks are blacker with Sony than they are with LG but not to my eyes.

Mine is a 55"

I wish I had room for a larger screen

To Tang

I have 10 TV's in my house all of which are Samsung except one and that's my 55" 4k Dolby Vision with HDR which is LG

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango, you make a good point that I mentioned in my first post; depending of where we live everything changes; watching habits, TV brands popularity, cultures, values, economies, etc.

No, OLED is an emissive technology...like plasma. QLED is not, it's a variation of LED.
In USA TV shootouts Samsung never wins; it arrives last the most often.
I'm talking now, not in the past when we had plasma TVs. Then it was Pioneer Kuro first, and Panasonic and Samsung second.

The main reason why I created this thread is because of the article on OLED Screen Burn.
It is a reality, and with time even more so because we are in a race for HDR, and the best HDR requires more brightness, which LED and QLED technologies have better than OLED.
And the more brightness added to OLED the more potential for burn-in.
3D is dead in North America because one of the reasons is in order to get more brightness and compete in the financial business 3D had to go...it was slowing down the 4K UHD HDR progress.

In Canada we have Panasonic OLED, which is not available in the USA.
We also have LG OLED, which are the most affordable hi-end TVs for Canadians.
Sony OLED and LED they simply overcharge us Canadians, I'm talking their top guns best here, so they are not competitive and lost the educated customer business segment. Money counts.

Samsung QLED are also quite expensive, their Quantum Dot top class guns.
That's in Canada.

On the other hand, in the USA, the Sony and Samsung TVs are cheaper (less expensive than LG).

And one panel is not necessarily the same as the exact same model TV sporting them.
There are often slight variations from one panel to another. And from one country to the next.
It is not that easy, the same with hi-end audio components.

The best is not always the most expensive in TVs, depending of where we live, the business strategies, the viewing habits, the reliability, the endurance.

What is best for you has not necessary to be best for me; of course not, I'm Canadian.
LG over Samsung and Sony here in Canada...more affordable, better value, nicer picture, best blacks, best contrast, best viewing angle for all the family...Mom, Dad and the seven kids.

* Many families buy a soundbar now, or use the TV's own speakers.
If you are serious about movies you go to the theater first.
If your theater has a sticky floor, spilled Coca-Cola and orange Fanta, bubble gum sticking to your sandals, or runners or black leather Italian shoes, you stay home with a front projector.
For casual TV watching; CNN, MSNBC, FOX, Disney cartoons, YouTube, Netflix, VHS tapes, DVD, Blu-ray...2K & 4K, etc., with the kids in the living room, a soundbar is perfect.

Do you guys have Netflix in Thailand? If you can find a way to watch the film 'Roma' on your Samsung QLED TV, I recommend.
And, surprisingly or not for many people, the audio soundtrack from that film was professionally recorded with high quality sound in mind. A soundbar is nice, a subwoofer too, and couple surround speakers tambien. It just adds a little more realism that's all.

Anyway OLED always win, but with one major potential handicap lurking on the horizon...permanent burn-in. And for some people it matters. That is the main reason of this thread.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
To Tang

I have 10 TV's in my house all of which are Samsung except one and that's my 55" 4k Dolby Vision with HDR which is LG

I will try a LG for the bed room. Too bad I just bought a 65" Samsung last week for the living rm. The price of LG here seems less than Samsung too.

kind regards,
Tang

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Guys. Samsung QLED is not a LED TV. no such thing. It's a LCD TV with LED back lighting.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i continue to be wow'd by my Sony OLED A1E 65" now almost 2 years old i use to watch sports and occasional TV upstairs in the barn. love the speakers built into the screen for ease of use. seeing 4K w/HDR movies on it caused me to upgrade my Home Theater for movies. Standard Definition HD sports and other TV has color depth and 'pop' that draws you in too. i do admit to not really looking at this year's TV's as i'm totally satisfied.....i'm sure they are a little better yet.

and last summer i added a new JVC 'laser' front projector, the RS4500 + Lumagen Pro processor + Paladin Lens (adds light and pixels), to my Home Theater in my house. it brings HDR and real 4K to my 'big-boy' 124" diag scope sceeen movies. got it calibrated by Kris Deering (well known projector reviewer). amazing picture. been buying and watching lots of 4k HDR movies.

it's a great time for a (long term closet) vidiot like me. can't wait for main stream sports (NFL-NCAA football and BB) to be full 4k and HDR.

even though the JVC is pretty much top level for front projector (except one over 6 figure new choice), the 65" Sony OLED is still better if we are just talking objective picture quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: assessor43

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
i continue to be wow'd by my Sony OLED A1E 65" now almost 2 years old .

I feel the same way with my Sony 75" Z9D. I only watch Blue Rays on it, regular and 4K, and just continue to be amazed at the picture quality. I retire next April, and will get it calibrated after that. I am sure new technology will be better, but have other things to do than chase TV technology.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I feel the same way with my Sony 75" Z9D. I only watch Blue Rays on it, regular and 4K, and just continue to be amazed at the picture quality. I retire next April, and will get it calibrated after that. I am sure new technology will be better, but have other things to do than chase TV technology.

It’s pretty easy to calibrate it yourself. Usually YouTube has videos for the calibration of all TV’s

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
My buddy just got a Samsung QLED 75".
Although the picture is nice, I have noticed a lot of the new HD pictures on TV's have that weird 3D soap opera effect, where it looks like it is filmed on a stage. Not very movie-like.
I've seen the Tom Cruise YouTube abut turning off the motion sensor, but I feel its more than that.
I have the same KURO plasma for 10 years and love it!
Would love to upgrade to OLED some day, but this weird soap opera effect has me disappointed!
Does OLED have this plaguing problem??

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyone have any thoughts about the Sony A8F vs the new A9F? The new A9F has the faster processor, but I'm not sure if it has the better picture?
Thoughts?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
My A8F has proven over the last month or so to be absolutely superb but have not compared with the bigger brother. The latter turned me off because it sits tilted back.

The calibrated picture with 4K and HD blu Ray is exceptional. Even with HD, it is so clear that one can actually see where the make up is thicker, and where it tapers off around the neck of newscasters. Watching 4K YouTube videos from around the world is an eye opener.

Get either one

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing