Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Amazon on my iMac, the top navigation is full width with maybe 15 different items. On my Huawei phone is has 4: Deal, Prime, Video, Music and above that is a collapsed menu bar....that goes to a stacker format.

I don't want to disagree but....
With amazon I use the app on the phone you're but safari on the computer and the iPad, you have a point with phones. I'm not against stacked menus or any of that my problem is the extra work involved accessing information.

david

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
With amazon I use the app on the phone you're but safari on the computer and the iPad, you have a point with phones. I'm not against stacked menus or any of that my problem is the extra work involved accessing information.

david
David, have you looked at the current menus? I tweaked then today, and took out the New section. It has reduced the duplications we had yesterday. So possibly resolved most of your worries?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Julian

I have accessed the latest version both on my laptop and my mobile and based on what you've done seems to have ameliorated a lot of the confusion.

Thank you as well for explaining the Google influence on the way the net is going. Yes we were dead in the water with the vBulletin app. Every mobile app I see now has a collapsible menu

So hopefully we are all a step closer to making this easier because as Julian says our Media function is very powerful

One of our beta testers several weeks ago who saw the new platform suggested a forum for all members' systems where it is only a collection of photos with no posts. So far there have been but a few albums started

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Julian, count the number of clicks it takes from Home page to get to "What's new" & "Latest Activity", they're buried under multiple Tabs & Menus and when do show up it's under flashing banners in a completely different format we can be easily missed. I searched for them because I know they exist and I really dislike New Posts with it's default "Unread Posts" how's someone new going to find them? I had to look hard to notice them under the banners. Even New Post is buried under he Forums tab and not accessible from every page. With the New Post's Unread default you're forcing me to click out of that to see my posts every time I come back to that page for no good reason at all.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Julian, count the number of clicks it takes from Home page to get to "What's new" & "Latest Activity", they're buried under multiple Tabs & Menus and when do show up it's under flashing banners in a completely different format we can be easily missed. I searched for them because I know they exist and I really dislike New Posts with it's default "Unread Posts" how's someone new going to find them? I had to look hard to notice them under the banners. Even New Post is buried under he Forums tab and not accessible from every page. With the New Post's Unread default you're forcing me to click out of that to see my posts every time I come back to that page for no good reason at all.

david

David,

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your question, but why don't you have a bookmark to "Latest activity" ? https://www.whatsbestforum.com/whats-new/latest-activity

It is how I always enter in WBF - just a single click!

But yes, this button could be part of the home page.

Reactions: bonzo75

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Can we make the Activity Stream and New Posts look like the following? I am finding myself spending less than 5 minutes a day on the site, after the cutover. The look and feel is so bland as to be really uninviting and downright boring

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 4.29.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 4.29.37 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 7

Steve Williams

Julian removed the buttons under Home because many were confused. Those buttons allowed you to access the forum without having to go into forums to find New Posts

As far as I was concerned I had no problems with the buttons under Home because it got me where i want to faster.Now that the buttons are gone you must click forums which then shows all the buttons my way of thinking it should be looked at as 'Everything new" such as posts, media, newsfeed, authors sets so "Whats New" has its own set of buttons

Julian has provided a very detailed explanation severa lposts above as to how he has it now formatted.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

Apologies if I am misunderstanding your question, but why don't you have a bookmark to "Latest activity" ? https://www.whatsbestforum.com/whats-new/latest-activity

It is how I always enter in WBF - just a single click!

But yes, this button could be part of the home page.
It's not just me Francisco you can't have everyone bookmark this page and what about the newcomers? The bland looks is one thing but the navigation is the most frustrating. Look up at the menu in the thread page here, the only available option is New Posts and it's one menu that when we go to we can't see our posts! One has to know and remember that and click out of Unread box to see my own posts and then I have to repeat all those step again and again and again going in and out of threads. Personally I like What's New menu but it has it's own issues and honestly I sometimes forget if I want What's New or New Posts because they'e same title.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, can we have Latest Activity on the main menu? Now I have to click on News Feed to get the Latest Activity button? Why did that change?

As far as the mobile goes, its gone from the drop downs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's not just me Francisco you can't have everyone bookmark this page and what about the newcomers? The bland looks is one thing but the navigation is the most frustrating. Look up at the menu in the thread page here, the only available option is New Posts and it's one menu that when we go to we can't see our posts! One has to know and remember that and click out of Unread box to see my own posts and then I have to repeat all those step again and again and again going in and out of threads. Personally I like What's New menu but it has it's own issues and honestly I sometimes forget if I want What's New or New Posts because they'e same title.

david

You know too much about WBF navigation! :) I did not know there were two different "New" things! But I see your point about newcomers.

Yes, I am a lazy person. When I want to enter in WBF from a foreign computer I just google "latest activity" and "wbf"

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You know too much about WBF navigation! :) I did not know there were two different "New" things! But I see your point about newcomers.

Yes, I am a lazy person. When I want to enter in WBF from a foreign computer I just google "latest activity" and "wbf"
There actually 3 of them! Two look the same but under one you can see your own posts and under the one you need to deselect a box each time you're there to see them and you can access each one kind of randomly from different pages, the 3rd one, latest activity has a different look which some will prefer for a quicker look but also not easily accessible everyhwhere.

david

Steve Williams

Sorry, can we have Latest Activity on the main menu? Now I have to click on News Feed to get the Latest Activity button? Why did that change?

Click Forums and Latest Activity button is there

I will get it back in the mobile app

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Julian,

So is “New Posts” a subset of “Latest Activity”?

Is “New Posts” identical to the old “What’s New”?

Thank you!

Ron

Steve Williams

Hi Ron

As you and I talked earlier "whats new" IMO should be called "everything new" or something like that as it is whats new in posts, media, articles, news feeds, etc. Hence Whats new brings a whole subset of buttons of which New posts is one. This has been discussed extensively here because of all the confusion

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the category names make sense. “Latest Activity” means all activity (likes, posts, replies, photos, etc.). And “Latest Posts” means only written posts.

Steve Williams

Click Forums and Latest Activity button is there

I will get it back in the mobile app

Its

Ked

when I go to the mobile app and click on the expandable menu icon at the top I see, Home, Forums, Media, Members and Donate

If you click on the word "Forums" you are taken directly to the Forums however if you click the down chevron at the right of Forums it brings down all of the appropriate buttons of which New Posts and Latest Activity are right at the top of the dropdown.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Steve mentioned that some members are finding the new format and color scheme to be "bland." Well I sure hope so!

"Bland" means that we are looking at pleasing colors which are non-fatiguing and upon which text is easy to read. We can stare at this pleasant Financial Times light peach/off-white background color for hours and not get a headache. That is exactly what I personally want for our website!

If someone wants to see "pizazz" he should turn on the television set! :D

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Or he should just say goodbye!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Julian,

Actually I have a question/suggestion. Is there any way to separate physically the Jump to Unread / Unwatch bar?

Since those are conceptually opposite concepts it kind of makes sense to me that they should not be physically connected on the screen the way they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing