Official Thread to Report Bugs, Concerns or Suggestions With The New Site Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Love the change and the new look. very refreshing.

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
Love the change and the new look. very refreshing.
Thank you! It was exhausting.

BUT we have plans:
1. Encourage members to post reviews
2. Encourage members to upload their system photos into our new Member Systems gallery
3. Write any audio journeys or stories members will be interested in for promotion to an Article.
Articles then go out to the mass member base in our Newsletter, and also feature on the home page.

Plus other facilities we have planned to offer members more customisations and personalisations.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Infinite scrolling please.

not sure I understand that.

how can you scroll below the bottom of the page
can you be more explicit

It would be nice to tailor a forum that is unique to every members' wishes but alas that is impossible. Sometimes you play your cards with the hand you are served.

These little things now are claiming hours and hours of our time as well as expending countless funds to correct to members' desires

At some point we have to say that we are where we want to be

Have a look at this post above as this is our end goal.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...he-new-site-platform.26462/page-8#post-535379

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Its a great feature. Rennlist converted to it and its awesome

Say u click on a thread u have been watching. Software takes u to where u left off last visit (like it does now) Here's the cool part: u can now scroll up and down thru the entire thread without having to click on a page button......once u experience this page buttons seem like 1950's...

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Say u click on a thread u have been watching. Software takes u to where u left off last visit (like it does now) Here's the cool part: u can now scroll up and down thru the entire thread without having to click on a page button......once u experience this page buttons seem like 1950's...
I understand now and know that can be done. Question is do we need it

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have set 'Force HTTPS' on the server. I think that might be the issue. Chrome sometimes doesn't load the page if not https or mixed content. Try it now and get back.
Thanks, unfortunately same issue is continuing. Server continues to time out?? Oddly, when I access another IP address, and utilize Explorer...no issue??

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hopefully there are plans to include all one's posts in 'Find Threads With Your Posts'. At present only threads posted under the new software are found.

Reactions: bonzo75

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
Under Inbox, it can go back to my first posts circa early 2017.

Under my account, my content it goes back as far as March 2018.

Under search box it goes back to March 2018.

I can ask Xenforo, maybe if I rebuild the Forum cashe it will go back further?

Steve Williams

Under Inbox, it can go back to my first posts circa early 2017.

Under my account, my content it goes back as far as March 2018.

Under search box it goes back to March 2018.

I can ask Xenforo, maybe if I rebuild the Forum cashe it will go back further?

Good idea. Please put in the inquiry

Steve Williams

Infinite scrolling please.

Looked into this request and here is the official response

Hi Steve
I think that can overload your server. It has to display all that data at all times, and any images have to be served. So the page clicks are a way to avoid that. Also some threads are huge i.e. they will crash the server for sure.

So this request is one we have to say "no" to

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for looking at this feature....maybe down the road

Steve Williams

Thanks for looking at this feature....maybe down the road

well we tried and the consensus was as posted above and the answer does make sense to me. Some threads are over 500 pages long

Steve Williams

Thanks, Steve and Admin. Problem seems to be fixed...:)

I say 'seems', as in the computer world...not much is permanent, LOL:rolleyes:

Anyhow, so far so good.....great job guys!

Thanks for the follow up Davey.

we seem to be slowly but surely eliminating all of the concerns

The one outstanding is from tima to see about our search not allowing us to find all of our threads prior to the launch of the new site

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Steve, I believe there is another issue outstanding: at least some of the Privacy options do not work.

Privacy Option 2018-10-18_18-21-12.jpg

This is from the Privacy page of my Preferences. Neither option is checked however my name (tima) is shown in Who's Online and my activity is shown under the Activity 'thread'.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Very minor: I suggest moving the "Post Thread" click box widget into the menu bar with all the other stuff. As it is, it is above the adverts and disconnected with the threads IMO.

Reactions: Steve Williams

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
Will look at this. I wouldn't recommend moving into the menu bar though, as that is high in the window. I'll look at the possibility to place adverts above the post button instead.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Looked into this request and here is the official response

Hi Steve
I think that can overload your server. It has to display all that data at all times, and any images have to be served. So the page clicks are a way to avoid that. Also some threads are huge i.e. they will crash the server for sure.

So this request is one we have to say "no" to

Actually, the more I think about it, this doesn't make sense unless the Rennlist server is much different. They have been around a lot longer than WBF and I'll surmise their picture libraries are even more than WBF. Also, aren't images "served" only if they are scrolled to?
In any case if WBF wants to be leading edge in substance as well as looks infinite scrolling should not just be dismissed. Maybe not for today but it should be in the near future evolution plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing