Octave HP 700 preamplifier: Listening impressions

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
DSC01473_cr.jpg

My system with Octave HP 700 preamp

DSC01502_cr.jpg

Upper shelf: Octave HP 700 preamp / external power supply for preamp / Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport (transmitting signal to DAC via MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable)
Lower shelf: Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Tripp Lite 1000HG isolation transformer (1000 W; only digital front end) / Super Black Box for Octave RE 320 power amp

In front: Octave RE 320 power amp

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
DSC01511_cr.jpg

DSC01493_cr.jpg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Octave Audio website:
http://www.octave.de/en/

Info on the HP 700:
http://www.octave.de/en/htdocs/verstaerker/hp700.php

Price of the Octave HP 700 preamp w/o control module, $ 12,500; with control module, $ 15,200; phono input modules optional

Background

The Pass B1 JFET buffered preamp (no gain) had been in my system for a while. Due to its low output impedance it is nominally able to drive both my amp and the subwoofers, and I had thought it did so fine. My friend Ian (Madfloyd), also from experience in his own system, had the impression that the Pass B1 introduced a slight metallic coloration into the sound on some material – he would be proven right. Thankfully, earlier this year he suggested that we should try what happens with his darTZeel active gain preamp in the system, and he brought it along. This was a brilliant move and an eye opener.

I had always thought that some residual strain on orchestral music was a limitation of the Reference 3A Reflector two-way monitors (supplemented with JL Audio Fathom 112v2 subwoofers run in parallel, without crossover). Yet it turned out that, with the darTZeel preamp in the chain, in my mid-sized room the monitor/sub system could, at a quite loud level (peaks at or slightly above 100 dB), reproduce orchestral music cleanly and effortlessly! This was incredibly welcome news since in general I loved these highly resolving monitor speakers, and this just completed the picture. There was also yet another increase in resolution with this high-quality preamp.

All things just came together nicely at that moment: I would not have been able to sufficiently appreciate the alleviation of strain with the high-quality active preamplifier, had I not a few weeks earlier installed my ASC custom ceiling diffusers (see pictures and report on my system thread) that removed a lot of room distortions, rounding off extensive room treatment that I had embarked on over the years.

So I started to think about options for an active gain preamp. There were alternatives to consider, such as TVC preamps, but there is a lack of opportunity to audition such and other no-gain designs prior to purchase. Furthermore, I already knew that my system reacted positively to the insertion of a high-quality active gain preamp.

Given that I already have an Octave RE 320 amp, a synergistic approach suggested an Octave preamp. Since Goodwin’s High End, my trusted dealer for many years, had the Octave HP 300 SE in the store (I also bought the Octave RE 320 amp from them), I decided to try it in order to get acquainted with the common sonic flavor of the Octave preamps. This would allow me to make a more informed decision about the HP 700 preamp that I had in mind, which is the natural partner for the RE 320 amp and has a tone control option that I wanted (the optional control module also includes balance control). Alan Goodwin generously gave me the opportunity to try out at home the HP 300 SE over two weekends, and I loved it. Hearing it on the second occasion thankfully helped me avoid a mistake in a DAC selection, as the Octave preamp allowed me to hear a synthetic coloration that the Pass B1 buffer masked; eventually I went for the current Yggdrasil Analog 2 upgrade since this DAC has a superior tone.

Fruitful phone conversations and email exchanges, facilitated by Alan Goodwin and involving Mike Manousselis from Dynaudio, the US importer of Octave, as well as Andreas Hofmann, the designer of Octave, addressed sonic and technical questions. Mike forwarded my technical questions to Andreas Hofmann who graciously answered them in detail and with whom later I also had direct email contact.

After all these great experiences I decided to go for the Octave HP 700. The HP 300 SE is excellent, but the HP 700 is even better. I could not be happier with my acquisition. The effortlessness on orchestral music that I first heard with Ian’s darTZeel preamp is all there as well.

Tonality and resolution of timbral detail

What struck me with the Octave HP 300 SE was the great tone, in particular on hard to reproduce timbres. The sound as a result of both the vibration of the strings and the resonances of the wooden body of violins, viola and cello in string quartets is portrayed in a convincingly natural way. On the best solo violin recordings, there is a beautifully wooden tone in lower and middle register, and silvery but really sweet and delicate tone (when the music allows) in the high register. Woodwinds sound sublime. Orchestral massed violins sound great too.

The HP 700 expands on all this with yet greater finesse, which also allows for even more subtlety of orchestral string tone, enhancing the realism. The delicate micro-detail on string quartet timbre is just stunning, I have not heard better elsewhere. Neither have I heard better tone on string quartets, other than in live performances, the sound of which is approximated to a degree that I had not thought possible from a system a few years ago.

The HP 700 (like the HP 300 SE) does not inject any obvious ‘tube warmth’ into the music and it does not thicken textures (neither does it thin them out). Rather, it does something far more meaningful, and important: it allows for an impressive depth of tonal color to be transmitted, which comes closer to the real thing. There is a rich shading and differentiation of color. Yet the differences between recordings are just as great as before. Piano is heard with a fully ‘wooden’ tone on some recordings, and on other recordings still with, now even better differentiated, metallic overtones. Warm sounding recordings with a generous lower midrange retain their warmth, but the thin iciness of the sound of, for example, the recording of Ferneyhough string quartets with the Arditti Quartet (in an excellent performance) is still there, even though also here the sound is more colorful, less bleached. Brass color between diverse recordings of a given Bruckner symphony keeps varying considerably, as before, yet is richer. On the other hand, an external addition of color would likely lead to homogenization of sound between recordings, which is not the case. Rather, it seems that the Octave HP 700 preamp better manages to preserve the original depth of color in the music, prevents it from being flattened and thus allows for a more realistic presentation of the music.

The rich tonality emerges from a quiet background. On many large scale orchestral recordings there is, with this preamp in the chain, an authoritative, spacious calmness in the sound field out of which events emerge, and if asked for, explode in a firm, incisive manner.

The preamp’s prowess with depth of color also serves early digital recordings on CD well. The 1982 digital recording (Decca) of the outstanding performance of Mahler’s Ninth Symphony by the Chicago Symphony under the direction of Solti, while featuring an impressively wide dynamic range, had always sounded somewhat thin and bleached out on my system, to the point of annoyance. When the preamp was not yet broken in I found that I preferred the reproduction with the tone control activated and the treble about 3 dB down. Yet now the recording sounds great to me as is. There is, again, a depth of color that was not there before, in any of the previous iterations of my system, and while the tonal balance is still rather light (yet not outside of what is experienced in the acoustics of some concert venues), the sound is not obviously thin as it was before. The extremely resolved string texture is sublime, other instruments also have a convincing tone, and everything sounds marvelously differentiated. Why should I dull this transparency by lowering the treble output?

After the success with Mahler 9 I turned to another early digital recording that previously had sounded problematic, to say the least. It is the 1986 recording on CD of orchestral pieces by Berg, Webern and Schoenberg with the Berlin Philhamonic / James Levine (DGG). In the past it had, with a previous digital front end in the chain as well, at certain moments sounded shrill and congested. Now the dissonant, high registered violins, woodwinds and trumpets in the climax of the first of Schoenberg’s Five Pieces for Orchestra do not congeal and continue to sound open. In fact, the sound here and overall on this recording is spectacular, again with an enormous amount of shading and depth of color. Just like with the Mahler 9 recording there is also this authoritative, spacious calmness in the sound field out of which the music arises. Nothing suggests the nervous brittleness associated with early digital sound, and experienced on these recordings in my system before I had the current digital front end and Octave HP 700 preamp in the chain.

All in all, so far I have not found it necessary to use the treble control of the preamp that I thought I might need; the tone control can be bypassed for neutral mode. For bass adjustments I use the volume control on the subwoofers which, given that I integrate them with monitors, not just influences the level of the low bass. Yet also here the frequency of adjustments has decreased drastically with the more recent improvements in bass performance of the system, including the ones provided by the new preamp (see below). However, for some recordings the ability to adjust bass via subwoofer volume still remains highly welcome – the amount of bass simply varies too much at times between recordings. I’ll save the treble control of the preamp for some nasty sounding pop recordings that eventually I may spin at some point. For several recordings I do very much need the frequency compensated balance control in the preamp’s control module (which includes the tone control).

(cont.)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
(cont.)

Separation of instruments

Last month Ian and I went to see Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring (Sacre du Printemps) with the Boston Symphony. Gustavo Dudamel was supposed to conduct, but had to cancel due to an arm injury. Instead, the assistant conductor of the BSO, Ken-David Masur, son of famous conductor Kurt Masur, led the performance. It was spectacular. So transparent was the playing under this conductor, allowing to easily discern a multitude of simultaneous musical lines, that the complex score seemed like an open book -- by just listening to the music, not reading it. The playing of the BSO was also incredibly precise; we had heard such sensational precision with the BSO under the same conductor earlier in the season in Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet. Ken-David Masur is a rising star, for sure.

On my drive home I was marveling about the performance, but also had feelings of frustration that I would not be able to experience this see-through transparency of the music at home; I knew how it had sounded a few months before.

Yet after having had the Octave HP 700 in the system for some time I decided to spin my CD of the Rite of Spring with Stravinsky conducting his own work (Columbia/Sony). I was shocked and immensely delighted that I had a rather similar experience as at the Boston Symphony: I could listen deeply into the score, with a stunning clarity of a multitude of simultaneous musical lines before me. The great differentiation of orchestral colors undoubtedly has a role in this, too. The playing of the Columbia Symphony Orchestra is not quite as phenomenally precise as that of the Boston Symphony, but still excellent as well.

The clear separation of musical lines with the Octave preamp also allows for a more encompassing appreciation of Haydn's symphonies, with which I have been infatuated again lately. Not just elaborate successive changes in the forms of musical motion, but also an intense polyphony of simultaneous different forms of motion, presented cleanly through the preamp, provide a complex and coherent listening experience. I am able to appreciate this especially in the transparent recordings on the Sony label of the powerful performances of the complete symphonies with Dennis Russell Davies conducting the Chamber Orchestra Stuttgart. By the way, Stravinsky held Haydn in high regard, see his 1939-40 lectures at Harvard, Poetics of Music.

Even with the relatively distant sound on the earlier mentioned Berg / Webern / Schoenberg CD of orchestral pieces, the separation of instruments is still excellent, allowing to listen deeply into the music.

Speed and portrayal of transients

Listening to the second movement (Scherzo) of Beethoven’s superb string quartet op. 59/1 with the Quartetto Italiano (Decca), I was struck by an even greater differentiation in transient response than I was used to. The staccato notes, up to fortissimo, were not quite as abrupt as before, but the attack had an ever so slight ‘bouncy’ rounding, more like I am used to from live performances of this kind of music. On the other hand, attacks in the String Trio by modern composer Wolfgang Rihm (label Kairos) remain just as abrupt and incisive as before, as do the sudden attacks on the keys in Stockhausen’s piano pieces – in fact, these are cleaner than ever and thus sound still faster than they used to. Trumpet blasts are coming out of nowhere just as hard as ever. On the other hand, some transients on trumpet sound softer than before, and realistically so. There is also more micro-detail in the sound.

It is incredibly difficult for a system to get the balance between softness and hardness of timbre right, and to portray in this respect each instrument and instrument group in the appropriate manner. Some systems err on the hard side, some on the soft side. A good amount of this has to do with transient response, and I have learned that, while obviously constant rounding of transients is not good and robs the music of its intrinsic impact and energy, abrupt transients are not always the fastest ones, when it comes to reproduction. Rather, the greatest transient speed is the one where a system or component tracks the actual transient most faithfully. The Octave HP 700 preamp ups the ante in transient differentiation. The superior speed is also evident in the fortissimo tremolo of the violin towards the beginning of the aforementioned Rihm String Trio. It sounds clearer and cleaner than before, without sonic confusion.

The frequency extremes

The HP 700 feeds in my system both the power amp and the line input of the subwoofers. Bass of the HP 700 preamp is as good as excellent solid state bass, there is no ‘tubey’ weakness at all. There is no trade-off to be made in this area for all the other sonic attributes, which solidifies the impression of superb engineering of this preamplifier. The bass is even tighter and better defined than with my solid state Pass B1 buffer in the chain. A friend and tube lover who heard the system told me that he had never heard a system based on all-tube amplification with such great bass as this Octave preamp/amp combo, and found it astonishing.

The rapid-fire successions of kick drum kicks in ‘Dark Prince’ from the live CD of the Trio of Doom (John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorius, Tony Williams) are cleanly delineated, and the ripe bass guitar sounds in the slow ‘Continuum’ from the same concert have lost a slight imprecise ‘halo’ around them. The bass guitar solo in ‘Miles Beyond’ from John McLaughlin ‘Live at Ronnie Scotts’ has an evenness of timbre throughout the register range from low to high that I had not yet heard in my system. On the next track, ‘Gaza City’, the bass guitar intro in low register sounds spookily controlled, and digs deep into blackness. On rock music it becomes easier in general to distinguish bass guitar playing from drums. All those little problem spots where previously I had heard an ever so slight overhang now surprise me with a tight grip on the bass sound. At the same time the bass is not artificially ‘fast’ either. Stand-up bass still sounds ‘round’ and with, often generously, resonant body, yet without bloat. The superior bass performance also heightens the sense of rhythm & timing in the music even further.

As I would have expected from Octave – given what I hear from my RE 320 power amp – the treble of the HP 700 is extended, without any ‘tube roll-off’. It is beguilingly pure sounding, without grain or undue ‘edge’, and it does not draw undue attention to itself. Yet it also has energetic bite when asked for, such as on the broad cymbal swipe at the beginning of ‘Here Come the Jiis’ on the above John McLaughlin CD. It has a palpable body that is more characteristic of tube treble than solid state treble, which more easily tends to be thin and whitish – only the best solid state amplification manages to avoid this shortcoming. The sound of well-recorded jazz cymbals has lots of ‘meat on the bones’, closer to the real thing. The weightier treble also benefits the realism of the high register of solo violin, for example. The cymbals on Chick Corea Akoustic Band ‘Alive’ (1991), which had always had a tendency to sound a bit too white and splashy on my system (as they did elsewhere), now for the first time sound unproblematic.

The above are the parameters where the Octave HP700 stands out the most for me, compared to previous experiences. Yet dynamics (immensely important to me), spatiality, depth of soundstage, and palpability of images are excellent as well. Voices can sound incredibly realistic, too. Overall, listening to music with this preamplifier in the chain is consistently addictive to me.

The low (and adjustable) output impedance of the Octave HP 700 preamp makes it compatible with a wide variety of power amps.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great in-depth review here Al, great job. Also congratulations on your new pride and joy... great your new Octave is really delivering for you. I also appreciate the really considered way you evaluate gear choice, a shotgun approach with changing gear is not always that helpful.

I also figure we can never underestimate the values brought to a system by proper gain structure at the very line level of things. A great preamp is definitely invaluable to the fundamental dynamic structure of the sound and for me this stage can do so much to help get us to the very core and essential life of the music.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great stuff Al, enjoy it!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Al. That is a very well written and comprehensive review. I'd like to read reviews of similar depth and quality in some of the popular magazines. Well done. I'm glad to read that you are so satisfied with the sound of your system.

I am curious about you needing to adjust the subwoofer level less often now with the new active preamp. Why do you think that is? Was the passive buffer exaggerating different bass levels on recordings more than does the new preamp?

I will also be curious to see if you end up using the tone control as the humidity levels change from our New England Winter to Summer seasons. Was that not one of the reasons you opted for the control module?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What a very comprehensive report, Al!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Glad it worked out for the best, Al. What kind of tubes does it use? Somehow, I didn't see this info on the website.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks to all for your positive comments!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I am curious about you needing to adjust the subwoofer level less often now with the new active preamp. Why do you think that is? Was the passive buffer exaggerating different bass levels on recordings more than does the new preamp?

Peter, as I indicated, the preamp is just the last factor in having to adjust subwoofer volume less. The high-quality stands for my monitors that I bought last year (thanks for pushing the issue!) helped make the bass tighter, the Yggdrasil 2 DAC also has tighter bass than the first version, and the new preamp tops it off. I now have a standard subwoofer volume setting, allowing an average bass amount that is quite generous, which I rarely lower. If there is more bass the system "can take it" better, and I do not have to re-adjust.

I do turn up the subwoofer volume beyond standard setting from time to time. The best speaker system in the world cannot magically conjure up bass that is lacking in the recording, and rather than taking a purist stance, I simply adjust.

I think a purist view of refusing to adjust -- if you can -- anything by recording for the reason "because that is how the recording engineer intended it to sound" is hardly defensible on a logical basis. For this, see my comments on a thread you started, and subsequent comments by others regarding Toole's "Circle of Confusion".

I will also be curious to see if you end up using the tone control as the humidity levels change from our New England Winter to Summer seasons. Was that not one of the reasons you opted for the control module?

I wanted the tone control (the balance control of the control module I need anyway) because originally I wanted to lower the treble on some recordings mostly during dry-air conditions. The summer humidity will result in a lowering of perceived treble output, but we are not there yet ;). Then it may be time to turn the corner tube traps from absorptive to reflective side.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks to all for your positive comments!

So, if anyone had given negative but constructive comments, shouldn't they be thanked more?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So, if anyone had given negative but constructive comments, shouldn't they be thanked more?

Sure, I would appreciate that as well, but nobody did comment negatively yet ;).

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Sure, I would appreciate that as well, but nobody did comment negatively yet ;).

It might be tough to comment negatively if one has not heard the system. The positive comments are basically about the great writing and content, and congratulatory because you seem so happy with the sound of your system. Whether or not negative but constructive criticism should be "thanked" more by you than positive comments would likely depend on the tone and content of the criticism and whether or not it is helpful.

I happen to find it incredibly difficult to post negative comments about someone's system when the owner is clearly so enthusiastic about his system. But, it does happen, as I was recently criticized simply because of the gear choices I've made. Beware the comment that your system does not sound like your local live orchestra or that you don't also have a vinyl source.

Perhaps I missed reading it in your write up, but I did not catch any comments about what you plan to do next with your system. Have you given any thought to the next area of investigation? Your system has changed a lot in the last year or two, so you may just want to take a break, but I'm curious about what you are thinking of doing next.

Thanks for addressing my question about the subwoofer bass level. It seems that it is more about bass quality having improved with the gear upgrades than it is about frequently adjusting the bass quantity to suit specific recordings. Your bass is now tighter, and I presume less distorted, so you are hearing more of what is on the recording and it is more to your liking than it was previously.

The purist argument about hearing what is on the recording is simply different from what you want as a listener. I think it is a perfectly valid position to hold, as is occasionally wanting the flexibility to adjust frequency response for whatever reason as you seem to prefer. I am glad that you found a preamplifier that accommodates a tone control for your needs without sonic degradation.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I happen to find it incredibly difficult to post negative comments about someone's system when the owner is clearly so enthusiastic about his system. But, it does happen, as I was recently criticized simply because of the gear choices I've made. Beware the comment that your system does not sound like your local live orchestra or that you don't also have a vinyl source.

;)
Perhaps I missed reading it in your write up, but I did not catch any comments about what you plan to do next with your system. Have you given any thought to the next area of investigation? Your system has changed a lot in the last year or two, so you may just want to take a break, but I'm curious about what you are thinking of doing next.

As for future plans with my system, I'll lay low for a while, but I am extremely happy about the current acquisition. I just didn't want to go the usual upgrade path where you tend to keep losing money. I'm glad I went all in on acquiring the natural preamp partner for my amp, apparently designed as such. The preamp is just so important.

An even better DAC would be the most natural upgrade path at this point, but with the, to my ears outstanding, quality of sound that I now have I am in no hurry for anything else. The preamp was a game changer. I guess that few people have heard the DAC in such an optimal system context of high resolution components (including the high-quality MIT digital cable feeding it), and know what it really can do. It is pretty shocking to my ears how good it is when it is allowed to play at such a level. Instead of revealing weaknesses in this context, it reveals strengths.

I am just so impressed and happy with this Octave preamp/amp combo, as I am with the rest of the system. The preamp/amp combo is so incredibly good, this may be it for me when it comes to amplification.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Al, this may be a rather difficult question to answer, but do you recall the sound of the Dartzeel preamp in your system? If so, can you confidently compare and contrast its sound relative to your new Octave preamp and share those differences with us?

I understand simply wanting to enjoy your system for a while. Yes, the DAC would be the next logical upgrade. With your new more resolving system, I bet differences between various DACS would be that much easier to hear. I would be very curious to hear both a mid level MSB and the Rossini in your system. Fun for another day.

Congratulations again, and enjoy the music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks, Peter. The darTZeel sounded great, with also beautifully resolved orchestral strings and wonderful woodwinds, but a little light in tonal balance. This could have been a mismatch with the Octave amp; it is obviously known that synergy can be important, which is also why I chose the Octave route for the preamp, and ended up staying with it. Or it could simply have been a function of suboptimal set-up. At that point we put the darTZeel on top of the CD transport, instead of a dedicated place in the rack (my fault not to prepare better, not the first time and last time ;)).

So the jury is out regarding all this. Yet it is obvious that it is a high quality preamp, and as you know it sounds great in Ian's system.

aljordan

Jan 13, 2012
Southern Maine, USA
www.alanjordan.org
Hi Al,

Regarding the your review of the Octave preamp, I had not heard your system for a while, so the ceiling treatments, version 2 of the Yggy, and the preamp were all new to me. Your system has come a long way since the last time I had listened to it. The changes make a more inviting and engaging listening experience. I found the overall sound to be more realistically smooth, have great tonal color, rich and dynamic bass, a more balanced sound-stage perspective. In particular, I was happy to hear a sweetness on certain recordings that I felt was missing the last time I was there, while still offering fine detail throughout the frequency spectrum.

I appreciated the ability to compare the Octave directly to a couple of preamps I know rather well. While I know the changes in your system performance are due to a few changes, I was still very impressed with the Octave preamp. I imagine the tone controls will be welcome during the low humidity winter days.

Reactions: MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing