November meeting at Madrona Digital!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Madrona Digital is pleased to host the Pacific Northwest Audio Society on November 10th. During the event, company founder Amir Majidimehr will start the session with a presentation titled, “Video for Audiophiles”.

Having managed the development of many video technologies in use today, including some mandatory in Blu-ray Disc format, in addition to years of managing the development of high-end equipment for editing/effects in TV Broadcast/Editing industry, Amir will not only explain the key aspects of video reproduction, but also share rare insight into limitations and design challenges of the different components. Topics covered will include video digitization, transmission and storage, Blu-ray Disc format, video compression and formats, 3-D video, projector technologies, measurement gear, audio for movies and everything in between. Where appropriate, comparisons will be made to equivalent process for audio and how the two are the same or different. The goal of the presentation is to teach you the most important fundamentals about video which sadly, vast numbers of people including many in the industry don’t understand.

After a slide presentation, there will be hands on demos utilizing the showroom facilities. Included are the following:
1. A world-class reference home theater designed by Keith Yates using computational fluid dynamics, sporting 14 channels of audio and extremely wide field of view 3-D projection system. Audio equipment consists of JBL Synthesis which includes DSP room EQ, JBL speakers and subwoofers. Video is provided by the new Sim2 3-D Solo projector. Both 2-D and 3-D material will be presented which key aspects of system performance are pointed out.

2. A lower-tier theater powered by JVC and Sim2 projectors showing what can be done at price points much lower than #1 and also contrasting performance as the price goes down.

3. Video servers and libraries. The Kaleidescape system will be used to showcase its operation but importantly, the challenges of building a video server both from technical and business points of view. Its method of video distribution will be contrasted with HDMI switching.

4. Show-and-tell of measurement gear for video equipment (Minolta CS-200) and HDMI diagnostics (Quantum Data).

5. Architectural products allowing completely invisible installations for home theater audio applications in living rooms and such.
We will be rotating groups of people through the theaters so during the waiting time, you can feel free to enjoy the rest of the showroom facilities including our Mark Levinson and Revel audio set up.
So come for an enjoyable and educational event!

November 10th @ 7:30pm

14210 NE 20th St
Bellevue, WA 98007
Phone: (425) 440-6206

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sorry I'm going to miss this guys, but I have a good excuse...going to hear Sharon Jones and the DapKings at the Showbox! Have fun.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes. I already talked to the sign guy so that the next day it reads "Madrona Analog" on the building. :D

Can't wait to hear some of your tapes Bruce!

Better count you tapes before you leave Bruce! :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Just another plug to get this thread into What's New? and to up my post count :)

If you're in the Pacific Northwest, come visit Madrona tonight. You don't even have to be a member of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. Visitors are always welcome!

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I wish to thank Amir, Isaiah and his staff for the most phenomenal presentation I have seen on video. I think everyone in the room learned a little something. Amir and his crew run a top notch business and in this economy, that's saying something.
I have to say a 3-D clip of Yogi Bear just totally blew me away!! Great job guys....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been waiting to hear some reports about last night's gathering...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Yes indeed...let's hear it boys!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It was GREAT! Amir is the real deal. In his 40mins presentation, I learned more about video than I did in the past 20 years. I ended up with a jitter headache as the clock in my brain was designed for audio couldn't assimilate fast enough for Amir's output video clocking brain.

The pre-event music was also wonderful. Bruce brought a tape and played on Madrona's background music system - Otari tape deck, Levinson Electronics, Revel Salons. Thanks, for bringing the tape Bruce. And no, it's still not tempting me enough to acquire a R2R.

Amir, if you would post the presentation you made (with all the great jokes, please) I think that the forum could learn a lot.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Mark, me too. Amir, please, next time, schedule your seminar(s) for a Saturday and I'll fly up to attend.

In his 40mins presentation, I learned more about video than I did in the past 20 years. I ended up with a jitter headache as the clock in my brain was designed for audio couldn't assimilate fast enough for Amir's output video clocking brain.
LOL!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, what a great night! You guys were such a good group of people! It was truly a pleasure to present the bit I know about video to you all.

I will work on getting a version of the slides published. The original presentation is a whopping 150 megabytes due to embedded room simulations and such! So I have to figure out a way to shrink it without losing those topics.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The original presentation is a whopping 150 megabytes due to embedded room simulations and such! So I have to figure out a way to shrink it without losing those topics.

"Only" 150MB??? That's just a couple tracks of music...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing