Notes from the NY Audio Show

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great traffic on Friday; crowded as hell. Very long line to get in at 3 PM. Looks like NY Metro audiophiles have been waiting a long time for the show to return. Hopefully, this turnout will encourage more manufacturers to show next year!

Good number of rooms. No exact count but must be between 40-50.

Rooms not so great sounding though hard to tell since the exhibitors only got their gear roughly three hours before the show opened :( Some didn't even have the time to put the covers back on their tube amps (Scaena). Practically all the rooms had bass issues on Friday. Hopefully that will be remedied overnight.

Room (s) of note so far (didn't get into MBL since line was extremely long): Burmester/Walker.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Great traffic on Friday; crowded as hell. Very long lline to get in at 3 PM. Looks like NY Metro audiophiles have been waiting a long time for the show to return. Hopefully, this turnout will encourage more manufacturers to show new year!

Good number of rooms. No exact count but must be between 40-50.

Rooms not so great sounding though hard to tell since the exhibitors only got their gear roughly three hours before the show opened :( Some didn't even have the time to put the covers back on their tube amps (Scaena). Practically all the rooms had bass issues on Friday. Hopefully that will be remedied overnight.

Room (s) of note so far (didn't get into MBL since line was extremely long): Burmester/Walker.

Great to hear Myles! That's 2 new shows on the circuit this year! TAVES is having their second one in September, and I know the audiophile crowd in Toronto is pumped for it! I know I am!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Great to hear Myles! That's 2 new shows on the circuit this year! TAVES is having their second one in September, and I know the audiophile crowd in Toronto is pumped for it! I know I am!

Oh and forgot had a great listening session after at my place with two WBF members, U47/Rich Brown and Bill Demarr. Some great tapes were rolling and Rich and Bill got to hear the new Opus 3 sampler tape. Think all were pretty astounded by the Opus 3 tape! :) Simply unbelievable sense of space and realism!

It was too bad that Bill only got to hear the Haniwa cartridge. After he left, put the Titan i back in and Rich was pretty impressed by what the heard on the Kenny Burrell LP :)

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Any coup de coeur Miles?
I was impress by the price of the system in the Simplifi room for what it delivered.
Tim Ryan told me the system was less than $10000.
I also noticed that the room spinning vinyl all sounded great.......

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Any coup de coeur Miles?
I was impress by the price of the system in the Simplifi room for what it delivered.
Tim Ryan told me the system was less than $10000.
I also noticed that the room spinning vinyl all sounded great.......

Not yet :) Don't want to make any judgments until second day at least given the setup issues!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone attending any of the spillover events some NYC dealers are holding? I'm sure there are good rooms and good sound there.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
I enjoyed the room with the Sasha, Pass Labs, MIT cable and DaVinci server DAC or what ever.
Sound by singer smaller system was also fun.
Big dispointment as I realy wanted to like the sound in that room was Highwater.......

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I had a great time Myles! Dinner was great and it was nice meeting Heidi.
You had some great sound at your place. The Opus 3 sampler tape was outstanding! We also heard another tape from them I believe-which one was that?
The Opus 3 website is tough to figure out for me anyway.
What were the vinyl selections that you played?
Rich did say that the Lyra sounding amazing. Next time-gives me an excuse to invite myself down again.:)

Oh and forgot had a great listening session after at my place with two WBF members, U47/Rich Brown and Bill Demarr. Some great tapes were rolling and Rich and Bill got to hear the new Opus 3 sampler tape. Think all were pretty astounded by the Opus 3 tape! :) Simply unbelievable sense of space and realism!

It was too bad that Bill only got to hear the Haniwa cartridge. After he left, put the Titan i back in and Rich was pretty impressed by what the heard on the Kenny Burrell LP :)

Last edited:

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Ny Audio show

The Lyra cartridge was pretty wonderful. It was indeed a great dinner and listening session. The Opus 3 sampler was a great 'blast from the past'. I will definitely be ordering a copy. Myles does indeed have his system sounding great, both on tape and vinyl.

Here is a short iPhone video(ultra amateur) I shot at the show during setup at one of the rooms. Note that this is the introduction of the Miyajima OTL amplifier. Charlie's preamp also got a workout on phono. I hope Charlie will give his impressions later. He is staying busy in the room and partying :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIP5sY_rO0&feature=youtu.be

Rich

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Day 2 in the book.

Outstanding sounds at the show Day 2:

Scaena/cj/Kronos/DCS
YG Amat III/Solution/Brinkman

Continued lust factor:
Audio Desk Systeme RCM :)

Had a great time meeting fellow WBF member Valerio and his friend Krystos (?sp) at the show too!

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You had some great sound at your place. The Opus 3 sampler tape was outstanding! We also heard another tape from them I believe-which one was that?

No only one Opus 3. Some of Rich's tapes plus Benny Carter: Jazz Giant and Art Pepper: +11.

Not sure about the Opus 3 site. Seems something was taken off the site. You might want to contact Opus 3 at music@opus3records.com or his US distributor Kevin Berg at berg_kevin@hotmail.com.

Kenny Burrell: Guitar Forms, Verve/Speakers Corner
Isao Suzuki Trio: Black Orpheus, TBM-63
Can't remember if we played the Lou Reed?

Think that was it :)

Rich did say that the Lyra sounding amazing. Next time-gives me an excuse to invite myself down again.:)

No need to make an excuse! You're welcome any time!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

The Lyra cartridge was pretty wonderful. It was indeed a great dinner and listening session. The Opus 3 sampler was a great 'blast from the past'. I will definitely be ordering a copy. Myles does indeed have his system sounding great, both on tape and vinyl.

Here is a short iPhone video(ultra amateur) I shot at the show during setup at one of the rooms. Note that this is the introduction of the Miyajima OTL amplifier. Charlie's preamp also got a workout on phono. I hope Charlie will give his impressions later. He is staying busy in the room and partying :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIP5sY_rO0&feature=youtu.be

Rich

Thanks Rich. Cleaning connections does wonders as does the Silver Circle 5se PLC!

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Day 2 in the book.

Outstanding sounds at the show Day 2:

Scaena/cj/Kronos/DCS
YG Amat III/Solution/Brinkman

Continued lust factor:
Audio Desk Systeme RCM :)

Had a great time meeting fellow WBF member Valerio and his friend Krystos (?sp) at the show too!

Funny how people can hear the same systems and come away with different impressions. I thought the Scaena system was OK. Sounded better when I heard them at CES in the past. The YG/Solution/Brinkmann room was a huge disappointment. My friend turned to me and said "this sucks" and I had to agree. I thought the Kipod setup in the Veloce room sounded much better.

That record cleaner is stupidly cool but my understanding is the quality control is nil. Heard first hand reports (and read) about them breaking.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Funny how people can hear the same systems and come away with different impressions. I thought the Scaena system was OK. Sounded better when I heard them at CES in the past. The YG/Solution/Brinkmann room was a huge disappointment. My friend turned to me and said "this sucks" and I had to agree. I thought the Kipod setup in the Veloce room sounded much better.

That record cleaner is stupidly cool but my understanding is the quality control is nil. Heard first hand reports (and read) about them breaking.

Did you listen with analog or digital? That makes all the difference in the world. If I listened to and rated the rooms on the basis of the digital front ends, everything would suck. Not to mention, I brought and played my own vinyl so I knew what I was listening to. Was it better than my system. Certainly some ways different. But all the rooms had bass issues and some were clearly overloading the room. One had to listen through that as you could hear that clearly in the YG room.

I'm not a YG fan and yesterday was far and away the best I've heard them.

AFAIK, there was an issue with the early machines but that problem has been fixed. So much for early adopters. Maybe you have some info I don't :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles

I was about to go to NY and would have enjoyed the show as well as meeting a few WBF fellows... Too bad I was called to another place very far from NY..

Just a little note... You have experience in music reproduction and likely a good set of ears ... Dont you think that this
Did you listen with analog or digital? That makes all the difference in the world. If I listened to and rated the rooms on the basis of the digital front ends, everything would suck.
is too strong ... Come on Man!! Back in the days, in 1985, maybe. But right today!!!??? Come on! Bowing out respectfully.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing