NORTH AMERICAN PUBLIC DEBUT OF TECHDAS AIR FORCE ZERO AND WILSON AUDIO MASTER CHRONOSONIC/SUBSONIC

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fortunately we have opinions of people who managed to listen when the neighbors were not playing loud!

There were many instances when that was possible. You should go listen sometimes yourself. Though possibly you do not realize that sound is also escaping the other way. It does not travel only one way. Brad said the room had issues. This was one of them.

MrAudioFederation

Yes, IMO, the CH + Vivid was not helping matters. So, to me it was impossible to tell if the TT was a world killer because I thought the overall sound signature of the system was not good (and it sounded compressed a lot of the time). There were many rooms with CH precision this year and I thought they all had a similar character, which leads me to believe that it was at least in part due to that choice of electronics.

Interestingly, the Goebbel room with the smaller Divin speakers was using tubes this year (Engstrom amps as opposed to CH last year) and sounded about the best I heard at the show from a more or less conventional speaker. I think this Kronos TT system is very good and rooms that had one also had nice analog sound.

This was more or less my take on these two rooms as well. Hearing the CH + Vivid system with and without the TT over a few days led me to believe the TT did a heckuva lot of things right. It seems very even-handed: not especially musical, not especially authoritative, etc. it just did everything very very well. Well enough that the 'warts' on the sound of the system itself took a backseat to the music. World killer TT? There are a few great TTs. The Zero seems to be competitive with them, which is awesome.

Agree - this was the best I've heard Goebbel sound. And the Engstrom amps look cool :) Disagree about the Kronos - they do seem to appear in high-quality rooms but I believe coincidence, not causation. I think the AF Zero [high bar, I know :)] can save a bad sounding room, but the Kronos cannot, for instance.

Reactions: TLi

MrAudioFederation

A recording of the TechDAS / Vivid / CH room at Munich 2019 - the music recorded in 24bit 96kHz audio [near the middle / rear of the very full room].

Reactions: amadeus

MrAudioFederation

It does not appear as though there is an LP on the Zero. Is the audio recorded separately from the video?

Yes, the audio is recorded as close to the sweet spot as possible and is mounted on top of the camera / videocam - so they are recorded separately. I think I will try something different next show.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A recording of the TechDAS / Vivid / CH room at Munich 2019 - the music recorded in 24bit 96kHz audio [near the middle / rear of the very full room].

What are you using to record, Tascam?

MrAudioFederation

No. A Sony PCM-D100. Mounted on a soft MOVO suspension to reduce vibrations. Could have recorded in higher res, even DSD, but seemed like they would be problematic if we wanted to make videos with the audio - and would have to instead allow people to download the hires audio files directly off our website [still an idea for the future].

IMG_20190516_091330.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No. A Sony PCM-D100. Mounted on a soft MOVO suspension to reduce vibrations. Could have recorded in higher res, even DSD, but seemed like they would be problematic if we wanted to make videos with the audio - and would have to instead allow people to download the hires audio files directly off our website [still an idea for the future].

View attachment 54049
I was making 24/96 recordings st Munich with a TASCAM DR-100 MkIII. Very similar to your Sony machine. Gives a good impression on what the room was like.

Reactions: KeithR

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That video of Vivid Ch system sounded great on the special recorded trumpet and drum but not as great on the cello recording. Hearing different sound quality from two different recording could reflect a good trait of the tt. A better tt will let you hear difference and contrast from recordings more.

Tang :)

Reactions: amadeus

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen demo in Munich and i can tell this,was my idea,

I understood very well AF0 because my system was similar to Munich for CH,L1 P1 M1,they had A1.5 but are similar and for cart,i have Opus 1 and in Munich techdas cart,both made by MSL

I know well Giya 1 because my friend has both Montagna and Giya 1,so i know the difference well,Giya sound well but Montagna has much more energy,fast and dynamic and also higher efficiency

I have Vyger that has sound very fast and dynamic,and is sure among the top TT in the world

But listening demo with AF0 i listen a full sound,presence,dynamic better and bigger than in my room,so with Giya that are slower and less dynamic than mine,it means that AF0 is much better than my Vyger Atlantis

Reactions: Lagonda

TLi

May 27, 2016
There were five shows last year for Air Force Zero world tour. I attended everyone except the North America one. I was not invited.

The Munich Show was no doubt the worst one. The room acoustic was not good and the speaker was not the same level as others. All other shows used Wilson Audio, they were MAXX, WAMM, XLF and XVX in that order. Gian60 and I were in the Munich room when the recording was done. It still sounded good but not as outstanding as other shows. It was a pity I could not attend WAMM show, it must be excellent.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree the Munich room wasn't good. At one point they had to stop the demo because the sound from the next door room was too loud and coming through the walls. What bothers me though is the people who go to these demos and report back on how the AF0 or some other equipment is based on such a demo

Reactions: sujay

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I agree the Munich room wasn't good. At one point they had to stop the demo because the sound from the next door room was too loud and coming through the walls. What bothers me though is the people who go to these demos and report back on how the AF0 or some other equipment is based on such a demo
It would sounded better if SAT was on in all events.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing