Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Quite majestic!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
All that glass behind the speakers gives me the creeps!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

LOL!

Hopefully, metaphacts will comment.

Since there are no speaker cables or other equipment shown in the photo, IMO, this an “Architectural Digest” beauty shot to showcase the speaker in a large living environment rather than an actual listening room installation.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
LOL!

Since there are no speaker cables or other equipment shown in the photo, IMO, this an “Architectural Digest” beauty shot to showcase the speaker in a large living environment rather than an actual listening room installation.

can't be an optimized listening space, which is not to say it might not sound good anyway. a shame if most of these WAMM's end up as audio jewelry and not given the context they deserve.

I agree

This is a photo of the speaker and nothing more. If you look back at WA website and search their brochures you will always see a photo of a single speaker sitting in an elegant house

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Personally i dont see a difficult acoustic encvironment , i see (opportunities ) a great room ,id rather listen in that then listen in some dark dead hole environment ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Personally i dont see a difficult acoustic encvironment , i see (opportunities ) a great room ,id rather listen in that then listen in some dark dead hole environment ;)

I fully agree with you - I have listened to great sound in untreated rooms that should not let the systems play so good and most of the treated rooms I have been in were horrible sounding - too absorbent, tuned just to play drums at very high sound levels, something I do not care about. Surely we all have our own preferences.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I fully agree with you - I have listened to great sound in untreated rooms that should not let the systems play so good and most of the treated rooms I have been in were horrible sounding - too absorbent, tuned just to play drums at very high sound levels, something I do not care about. Surely we all have our own preferences.

accidents happen.

but large glass walls and tall live surfaces mostly spell disaster for sound. the music gets lost in the reflective hash.

I have large speakers, a large space, and a very live room. so I know the dark side of how that might be.

my point was whether most WAMM's will end up optimized or used like most exotic cars, as babbles/jewelry for their owners and not as musical tools.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont know they might just go to wilson fanatics , or to european /north american hard ware fanatics (a lot also in asia ) , Mercedes /bmw ..ferrari / luis vuitton/ chanel /swiss watches ( and amplifiers lol ) ... whatever , mostly european luxury products .
I think you can dampen/make lively a llistening room . glass will distract but can still sound good , curtains/ diffusors whatever

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
accidents happen.

but large glass walls and tall live surfaces mostly spell disaster for sound. the music gets lost in the reflective hash.

I have large speakers, a large space, and a very live room. so I know the dark side of how that might be.

my point was whether most WAMM's will end up optimized or used like most exotic cars, as babbles/jewelry for their owners and not as musical tools.

If I was filthy rich I'd buy a pair and put them somewhere on display but not hook them up. ;)

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
accidents happen.

Hi Mike,

With anything high-performance there will always be some who question the ownership of such devices if not stretched to their real-world limits. Ownership is a complex relationship between subject and object, and the reasons for ownership vary tremendously. Not everyone who owns an exotic either has the desire nor the skill set to track their car, despite the car's ability to excel there.

It’s difficult to know whether the more interesting question is, “will WAMM’s end up in systems and rooms that are optimised specifically for them?”, or whether it’s “will WAMM’s end up in systems in which the owner plays something other than Famous Blue Raincoat and All For You?”. In both cases, the sensibilities of the owner lie beyond the reproach of anyone other than themselves. Their money, their choice.

In terms of the photo, purely for promotional purposes, I find a single speaker lit well in a sizeable, architecturally designed home disconnected (literally) from the context many would consider real-world use to be preferable to the reality of what many rooms look like once filled with the accoutrements of modern audiophilia. I mean, they could have shot at Fremer's place.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Mike,

With anything high-performance there will always be some who question the ownership of such devices if not stretched to their real-world limits. Ownership is a complex relationship between subject and object, and the reasons for ownership vary tremendously. Not everyone who owns an exotic either has the desire nor the skill set to track their car, despite the car's ability to excel there.

It’s difficult to know whether the more interesting question is, “will WAMM’s end up in systems and rooms that are optimised specifically for them?”, or whether it’s “will WAMM’s end up in systems in which the owner plays something other than Famous Blue Raincoat and All For You?”. In both cases, the sensibilities of the owner lie beyond the reproach of anyone other than themselves. Their money, their choice.

In terms of the photo, purely for promotional purposes, I find a single speaker lit well in a sizeable, architecturally designed home disconnected (literally) from the context many would consider real-world use to be preferable to the reality of what many rooms look like once filled with the accoutrements of modern audiophilia. I mean, they could have shot at Fremer's place.

Totally agree

It's no one's business however if I were to guess I would bet they will all be played

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IIRC The Acura NSX was purchased in advance for resale. It never panned out. Maybe the WAMM will suffer a similar fate.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
New picture from WA FB page:

View attachment 30967

Wow...this is a lesson of all there is not to do with a speaker for placement. It is VERY striking and VERY cool looking (note this is something I admittedly have never said about any other WA speaker).
Very impressive...
All the mega-buck owners are going to be very fortunate to have them in their rooms!

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
LOL!

You are correct Dan. It's the "hero" shot as John likes to call it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is kind of like a strip tease.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Sexy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing