New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Interesting review. “ The outlines of the acoustical images were super fine and vivid”. And later “The acoustical outlines are sharp and clear.”

Stereophonic, is this what you hear from this DAC and also in real life?
This reviewer might be just as likely to describe a vinyl playback system with the same words. It's probably just the reviewer's way of describing a resolving playback. A thousand other adjectives could probably be used by a reviewer to describe the same sound (like clear, or natural, or vivid). I think reviews of how something like a DAC sounds is meaningless unless done in the context of comparing to another DAC in the same system.

Reactions: howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Is WBF in a decade's time gonna be populated by vastly more recorded snippets and less and less wordsmithing?
If so, you guys are SO gonna miss me Lol.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
In all my years in audio I never remember three major reviews from three top reviewers agreeing on one component. Robert Harley, Roy Gregory and Lincoln Cheng .

Reactions: SCAudiophile

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is WBF in a decade's time gonna be populated by vastly more recorded snippets and less and less wordsmithing?
If so, you guys are SO gonna miss me Lol.

No we won't, your posts will retain the same value

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This reviewer might be just as likely to describe a vinyl playback system with the same words. It's probably just the reviewer's way of describing a resolving playback. A thousand other adjectives could probably be used by a reviewer to describe the same sound (like clear, or natural, or vivid). I think reviews of how something like a DAC sounds is meaningless unless done in the context of comparing to another DAC in the same system.

I asked about a very specific description of one very particular aspect of the sound. This is nothing like using the word natural or clear.

I can see this is going nowhere so the discussion and the review of what it says I guess is pretty much meaningless. What is the point of writing such a review and then sharing it if we can’t discuss what it says? The pictures are pretty.

Reactions: sbnx

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked about a very specific description of one very particular aspect of the sound. This is nothing like using the word natural or clear.

I can see this is going nowhere so the discussion and the review of what it says I guess is pretty much meaningless. What is the point of writing such a review and then sharing it if we can’t discuss what it says? The pictures are pretty.

It is a data point. Many reviews then get people you know curious enough to explore it, then the product soon comes to a location near you.

Maybe Ian will get it one day, even though Al will say Schitt yggy is better

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

wil

Jul 22, 2015

He also said it “sounded extremely musical and elevated the listeners to the heaven of music“. Lol

Reactions: PeterA

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: SCAudiophile

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Reactions: nirodha

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain

You can ask whatever you want and discuss about anything.
That is WBF and we like to see components that we never will listen, pictures that keep we dreaming, reading reviews that says nothing and other ones which we discover something new, sharing opinions even having different rooms, components, taste, etc…
I don’t like Lincoln’s Tidal speakers, room seems small, tube amps aren’t my cup of tea…
So, to me, it is imposible to have an objective opinion about his review as other forum member opinion.
But it is funny, because we are audiophiles and we love to read, write and see every theme about audio…
Wadax Ref. Dac is new, different and technical superb. It is the perfect item to be analized in this crazy hobbie were nobody knows the true and everybody is looking for to improve their systems…

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Peter,

The reviewer gives us some detailed comments on a few recordings - Licoln Cheng is not a newcomer to the audio scene, he has been around for many years writing many reviews, you can easily find about his preferences and systems in the net.

His opinion is just a data point, but IMHO the technical discussion about the Wadax is the best part of the review - it clearly explains that the Wadax Reference is a different type of DAC, using correction techniques based in high speed processing to generate an error signal that is subtracted from the raw signal. It would be great if we could listen to raw digital signal going directly to the DAC with and without correction!

The only thing that does not seem clear to me is the reference to feedforward techniques - what is the point of referring to feedforward with digital signals, that can be easily delayed?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Interesting review. “ The outlines of the acoustical images were super fine and vivid”. And later “The acoustical outlines are sharp and clear.”

Imo it is silly to think we can understand the sound of the unit from a writer you have no familiarity listening with, no matter what his description of the component

I agree about the disconnect and not understanding the sound of a unit from an unfamiliar (to me) writer. However, as I understood him, Peter was not asking about the sound of the unit en large, but about a very specific description. I don't feel I need familiarity with Lincoln Cheng or his other writings to know what 'super fine, vivid image outlines" intends to convey - seems pretty straightforward. Even if Mr. Cheng's personal experience finds image outlines even finer or more vivid (or less) than my personal experience of components about which I would say similar, I get what that particular description conveys. Even though a translation, it was in English.

This is the 'problem' of using one medium (words) to describe another medium (sound). Absent personal listening experience, all we have are words. Even if Stereophonic had heard the unit and did concur with Cheng's account, I agree it would not tell one about the sound of the component, but it might tell Peter enough for him to pursue or to pass further interest. Which is about the best a review can hope to accomplish. The tell was the end of Peter's sentence: "is this what you hear from this DAC and also in real life?"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My point is super fine vivid images used by Lincoln, is not necessarily used in the same context that Peter uses them. He might use them to describe just resolution you will then we then used for everything from vdh, Lyra, micro seiki 8000, dCS, American sound, Magico, etc.

It is a way of describing I see real life images. Which you do see in real life.

Peter might use it differently, but Lincoln is not tuned to his wavelength

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
My point is super fine vivid images used by Lincoln, is not necessarily used in the same context that Peter uses them. He might use them to describe just resolution you will then we then used for everything from vdh, Lyra, micro seiki 8000, dCS, American sound, Magico, etc.

It is a way of describing I see real life images. Which you do see in real life.
Peter might use it differently, but Lincoln is not tuned to his wavelength.

But the words were not super fine vivid images, but the outlines of images were super fine and vivid. I don't know how it can be more explicit or be misunderstood. What context differences could make the meaning of that different?

And it's not about seeing - it is about the images had when hearing. Hearing in the audio room and hearing in real life - in the concert hall. If I close my eyes in the concert hall, there are no super fine vivid image outlines. In the audio room, some gear will produce that.

My point is that we can still communicate about what we hear despite the fact we cannot hear what others hear - particularly when the communication is well constructed. One does not have to be "tuned to his wavelength" to have clear communication. If that possibility does not obtain, all the yip-yap we do online is just that. Some guy posts a question "how does the ABC compare to the XYZ?" and he will get answers from people he does not know but still, information is exchanged.

Reactions: PeterA and Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But he might not be listening with his eyes closed. He might be describing what he sees. The outlines are super fine when you are looking at them. There are so many ways to describe this'll

Now, if he tells me which of Magico pass or a set up I like has that description, and which doesn't, I might understand him better. Without a reference I have no idea what his wavelength is.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
But he might not be listening with his eyes closed. He might be describing what he sees. The outlines are super fine when you are looking at them. There are so many ways to describe this'll

Now, if he tells me which of Magico pass or a set up I like has that description, and which doesn't, I might understand him better. Without a reference I have no idea what his wavelength is.

Thr reviewer said what he said, and it's clear. Let's not pretend that it isn't.

Or have we arrived at a "post-truth" moment?

• Haha

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thr reviewer said what he said, and it's clear. Let's not pretend that it isn't.

Or have we arrived at a "post-truth" moment?

Well since you have decided where everyone is at

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing