New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

I am impressed that Wadax uses a cable that in it's standard version cost over £600, customized version is most likely even more, ! If all parts are of similar high/expensive quality it would be one of the explanations for the high cost of their products.
Hi Lagonda.
Interconnects are one of the keys to reach optimal component level.
I’m currently using Siltech Universal Crown USB cable from Atlantis Server to Atlantis Dac.
894E483D-2A34-40A5-8EFA-268E2112A7F9.jpeg
It is a very expensive cable but your system will be always as good as the worst component it has. Worst from synergy perspective. Money doesn’t assure you best synergy.
From my point of view, Akasa cable is a bargain. Every Ref. Dac user reports that optical connection betters USB one by a wide margin.
And it is logical.
There are good Dac designs and Servers too but one of the key of Wadax success is that they are designers of both Dacs and Servers.
So they can match their technology in both components with a clear final point and best synergy between them.
I asked about to implement its proprietary optical hardware on my Atlantis but it isn’t possible.
The hardware fiber box is bigger than half Atlantis volume.
You can see it inside right flight case.
7DD9AAB5-268E-4525-97C6-F216F3EBB1E6.jpeg

Hi Lagonda.
I’m currently using Siltech Universal Crown USB cable from Atlantis Server to Atlantis Dac.
View attachment 80852
It is a very expensive cable but your system will be always as good as the worst component it has. Worst from synergy perspective. Money doesn’t assure you best synergy.
From my point of view, Akasa cable is a bargain. Every Ref. Dac user reports that optical connection betters USB one by a wide margin.
And it is logical.
There are good Dac designs and Servers too but one of the key of Wadax success is that they are designers of both Dacs and Servers.
So they can match their technology in both components with a clear final point and best synergy between them.
I asked about to implement its proprietary optical hardware on my Atlantis but it isn’t possible.
View attachment 80853
Very impressive ! :)

Haha, well, we're not married, but as good as. The chapel has taken over as major removal of my funds over audiophilia. I salute anyone who has a fantastic home AND can stretch to the likes of Wadax Ref.
well it seems in Australia at least you need a superyatch too!

(...) Almost 500 posts about a product that a handful have heard or will likely hear - kinda bizarre, but it's August, Jake, things are slow.

Well, I do not think it is bizarre. This thread is about a top DAC that is said to rank with the best existing, coming from a known company and got excellent reviews and very positive word of mouth from people who are really interested in digital sources. Javier Guadalajara was present at the Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac presentation at our local distributor some months ago, I only missed it because during the Covid times I gave up attempting public audio sessions. Now that things are somewhat settled I will not miss listening to it after the holidays.

My main concern when listening to digital sources is that when I listened to the Wilson Audio WAMM's with the DCS Vivaldi the overall sound quality was so much better then any thing else I have listened that probably the absence of the WAMM's will not give the Wadax a totally fair opportunity.

Given the degree of interest for Wadax about its design and manufacturing process, in the next few days, there will be an official post in the website with some interesting insight info on the company to share with all followers.
You are very well informed for just a fanboy

• Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao
Hi Lagonda.
View attachment 80852
And it is logical.
View attachment 80853
Interesting...I have to say after owning the Zanden 4-box digital for 13 years (2 versions, the second being the latest spec)...I NEVER found a replacement for the i2s cable designed by Zanden for the system. Until the Z:Axis Audio Reference i2s cable came along unexpectedly for a trial. It really (as you say) showed me that the cable was holding back the main design of the Zanden.

I was aware that Zanden themselves a few years ago had changed the I2S cable to another one of their design but never thought it would be worth investigating (difficult to audition, expensive...and know 1 owner who has both and recognized the technical improvements but still used the original more often).

But the Z:Axis dramatically changed all that for me. So I could imagine if your Siltech is everything you suggest...it could indeed open the floodgates to great music inbetween your components.

Hi Lagonda.
View attachment 80852
And it is logical.
View attachment 80853
Very nice indeed.

Interesting...I have to say after owning the Zanden 4-box digital for 13 years (2 versions, the second being the latest spec)...I NEVER found a replacement for the i2s cable designed by Zanden for the system. Until the Z:Axis Audio Reference i2s cable came along unexpectedly for a trial. It really (as you say) showed me that the cable was holding back the main design of the Zanden.

I was aware that Zanden themselves a few years ago had changed the I2S cable to another one of their design but never thought it would be worth investigating (difficult to audition, expensive...and know 1 owner who has both and recognized the technical improvements but still used the original more often).

But the Z:Axis dramatically changed all that for me. So I could imagine if your Siltech is everything you suggest...it could indeed open the floodgates to great music inbetween your components.
well i have that siltech cable for the last few yrs now. have compared it with a goebel usb cable and the goebel captures me any day. cheaper as well. oh if anyone want to buy the siltech cable pm me - might be happy to sell it at the right price:)

problem with that siltech cable as well being also that it cannot fit the taiko extreme with its new usb card. the vent slots at the end are too small to allow the siltech to fit in.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda and tima
well i have that siltech cable for the last few yrs now. have compared it with a goebel usb cable and the goebel captures me any day. cheaper as well. oh if anyone want to buy the siltech cable pm me - might be happy to sell it at the right price:)

problem with that siltech cable as well being also that it cannot fit the taiko extreme with its new usb card. the vent slots at the end are too small to allow the siltech to fit in.
I had both Goebel’s USB and Ethernet. I bought them when i had an Esoteric D02X Dac.
Very good cables for thin sounding components from my experience.
Too much energy, colored and lack of focus in my Atlantis system. They have soundstage bigger than life and they have a very strong sound but it sounds slow and a bit dark.
That translate you a sensation of more bass but it doesn’t have deep low. You listen a lot of bass but is the result of the distortion it generates although i liked very much its depth.
It has very spectacular sound because you listen full sound but too much to my taste. When i changed to Atlantis, i had to sell them.
Siltech sounds more controlled and faster.
It is more neutral and lets sound your system as it is… bass goes lower with better tonality and layering. Soundstage is better balanced and it has no distortion.
As always, cables are system dependent.
If you like Goebel USB i encourage you to try Ethernet one. It is even better than USB one.
It is a heavy cable as you know so i recommend you a base to prevent bendind connector.

About Taiko USB Card it is a pity because your USB cable choice is limited by its design...

Goebel USB cable connected to my Wadax Arcadia Dac before changing to Atlantis.

734318D5-177A-469F-8FE6-B3D09DEC5F71.jpeg

Last edited:
Had a nice listen to the Wadax Reference Dac and Server at the HK Audio Show.

The word "nice" is doing some extremely heavy lifting.

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

Have heard great things about Goebel cables.

I had both Goebel’s USB and Ethernet. I bought them when i had an Esoteric D02X Dac.
Very good cables for thin sounding components from my experience.
Too much energy, colored and lack of focus in my Atlantis system. They have soundstage bigger than life and they have a very strong sound but it sounds slow and a bit dark.
That translate you a sensation of more bass but it doesn’t have deep low. You listen a lot of bass but is the result of the distortion it generates although i liked very much its depth.
It has very spectacular sound because you listen full sound but too much to my taste. When i changed to Atlantis, i had to sell them.
Siltech sounds more controlled and faster.
It is more neutral and lets sound your system as it is… bass goes lower with better tonality and layering. Soundstage is better balanced and it has no distortion.
As always, cables are system dependent.
If you like Goebel USB i encourage you to try Ethernet one. It is even better than USB one.
It is a heavy cable as you know so i recommend you a base to prevent bendind connector.

About Taiko USB Card it is a pity because your USB cable choice is limited by its design...

Goebel USB cable connected to my Wadax Arcadia Dac before changing to Atlantis.
Interesting feedback...have heard good things about Goebel, but as always YMMV! I have comparatively little experience in signal cables and even less in digital cables having heard not even a handful of them (few are configured for Zanden i2s).

If you ever get a chance to listen to Z:Axis (the importer of Concert Fidelity here in UK), I would appreciate your experienced ear on that. I have been impressed by attention to detail, focus on parts/materials and quality of his results. I perceived minimal change to the 'voice of the Zanden'...but suddenly, there was clarity, nuance and a sense of resolve from bass to treble. But its organic nature had not changed.

I'm in the mood for, oh, some spaghetti or linguine Lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing