New SME Flagship Model 60

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But looking again at the pic i took , i see CD s but no player ?
Am i missing something here , or is that " ini mini "black box under the suitcase the transport?
probably, cause I saw the guy playing music was changing CDs. it was a big and very crowded room and I concentrated on SME 60.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
But looking again at the pic i took , i see CD s but no player ?
Am i missing something here , or is that " ini mini "black box under the suitcase the transport?
Look at rack on the left shelf under the CD suitcase!

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I heard SME 60 at Avant-garde room. I heard both CD an Vinyl playback. sound was a little bit harsh with CD but it was incredibly good with Vinyl. I generally don’t like any Avant-garde speaker at all but this time it was good and significantly better compared to prior Munich shows if my memory wasn’t misleading me.
there is a high possibility that SME 60 playing a great role on final sound which I liked. IMHO new tonearm and it’s new wiring -which is other than vdh- contributed to that positively.
cartridge was ortofon A95 but I don’t remember the phono stage.

It's interesting that the vendor would play both the new flagship WADAX DAC and the new flagship SME table in the same system. Did he go back and forth for comparisons, or was it more informal, not really comparing these two flagship digital and vinyl sources? Did the audience express any interest a comparison or a preference for one over the other?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Look at rack on the left shelf under the CD suitcase!

david

Yes i have seen that little box , but it looks more like a playstation 4 box then something to connect to a WADAX dac .

@ Micro by the way Sell the wilson keep the Lamm and try it on a Kharma Ls before you sell it

Reactions: ddk

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It's interesting that the vendor would play both the new flagship WADAX DAC and the new flagship SME table in the same system. Did he go back and forth for comparisons, or was it more informal, not really comparing these two flagship digital and vinyl sources? Did the audience express any interest a comparison or a preference for one over the other?

It was a very difficult asymmetrical room they had to work with , lots of open space / doors.
But indeed putting your new TT up to Wadax digital is a tough challenge for any source i suppose.
No when i was there , the audience was happy with either source being played

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Box appears to be a transport this is the best closeup I could find --I clicked the usual suspects/Metronome /Micro media/JMF/etc
but it alludes Moi:(--any ideas?

I 'm curious myself as to team up an apparent "insignificant" unit with those appendages portraying SOTA
Or so we are told:)!
BruceD
CDPlayer.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks Bonzo. I read that in March/April when it was released. Here is a summation of the sound by Fremer:

"Based on what I heard in the listening room the new Model 60 combines the 30's "gravity" with the Model 15's liveliness and excitement. I cannot wait to get one in for review. "

This seems like a good combination of attributes.

The model 30/2 package claims it was built to complement the SME V arm and the model 15 package claimed it was designed to complement the SME 309 arm. I wonder if a comparison of the 309 and the V arms would yield a similar contrast between gravitas vs liveliness and excitement.

Once upon a time I had two SME Vd arms and think the 'gravity' characterization suited it. Maybe sometimes its gravity was strong enough to keep it so well planted that it stole a bit of music's excitment. That was on a Teres, not an SME table.

Reactions: microstrip

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
as far as I noticed while I was there, he played 2-3 tracks from vinyl and 2-3 tracks from CD. I didn’t get a feeling that he made comparisons cause simply he did all these without saying anything and I didn’t see anybody’s expressing any interest. I haven’t seen the transport or didn’t try to but I saw him changing CDs and vinyl after 2-3 tracks being played, arranging CDs and vinyl and preparing the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Crikey - things are worse off than I thought. :D
Hmm, show the Kronos to that audiofool's wife, and she'll recoil in horror at the perfect dust trap it presents as.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I heard SME 60 at Avant-garde room. I heard both CD an Vinyl playback. sound was a little bit harsh with CD but it was incredibly good with Vinyl. I generally don’t like any Avant-garde speaker at all but this time it was good and significantly better compared to prior Munich shows if my memory wasn’t misleading me.
there is a high possibility that SME 60 playing a great role on final sound which I liked. IMHO new tonearm and it’s new wiring -which is other than vdh- contributed to that positively.

Nice to know. Did you notice if the AvantGarde's were powered by they innovative current delivering electronics?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Nice to know. Did you notice if the AvantGarde's were powered by they innovative current delivering electronics?
Yes, midbass, mid and high horns were driven by onboard amplifiers. and most probably the bass tower too but I couldn’t get close enough to be sure.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I attended the Hong Kong High-end Audio Visual Show 2022 just now.

IMG_20220807_141501.jpg

The SME 60 was paired with Kondo phono/preamp, Halcro monos and Kawero Furioso Mini loudspeakers :

IMG_20220807_120914.jpg

Good sound.
And it looked gorgeous!
:D
IMG_20220806_123515.jpg

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The SME 60 actually looks better in the flesh than in photos although the blue takes some getting used to.
I agree (not necessarily about the blue), but you can see the high quality finish, which is stunning.

Reactions: howiebrou

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Exactly my impression also. Very good room, especially with vinyl!

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing