New Q3/mini M-Pro?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am just glad they don't charge for in-store auditions. You really think a beefier faceplate, carbon-fiber sides, alleged copper O-rings, and a cup over the mid/tweet would make this worth $100K (or roughly an extra 58K over the Q3)? Especially if there really are no driver changes?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would love it if it performs better than the Q3 and sells for less. Just like the Q1 and Mini II, or M5 and Q5. But with those carbon sides and probably new technology beyond the M Pro, I think it will be priced around the Q5 at $85K. Just a guess.

It is amazing at the chat and speculation that happens when Magico releases two photos of a new product. The buzz about the Tesla Model 3 was also quite surprising. It is interesting that a few companies can garner this level of attention.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I am just glad they don't charge for in-store auditions. You really think a beefier faceplate, carbon-fiber sides, alleged copper O-rings, and a cup over the mid/tweet would make this worth $100K (or roughly an extra 58K over the Q3)? Especially if there really are no driver changes?

From what I understand, the Q3 is/was grossly under priced, and if you compare it to anything remotely close (Like the YG), you can see that. If that is a smaller MPro, there is no way it will cost $50K (look at Wilson Benesch carbon offering). But we can still hope...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

ack, why do you think that it does not have variants of the new M Pro tweeter and midrange drivers? The cabinet looks more expensive than the Q3, baffle, top, sides, and curved backplate. It should outperform the Q5 because of the newer technology, though perhaps not quite the same bass extension with the smaller looking woofers.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you think/claim the Q3 was grossly underpriced, then sure, I can see a much high sticker price - and probably goodbye and good luck from me. But if they want to stay reasonable, from my experience, carbon fiber plates of any shape are no longer expensive, there is cost savings from not having aluminum sides, the extra aluminum mass on the faceplate *might* actually mean less machining... so there you have it. But I do certainly see your point!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
ack, why do you think that it does not have variants of the new M Pro tweeter and midrange drivers? The cabinet looks more expensive than the Q3, baffle, top, sides, and curved backplate. It should outperform the Q5 because of the newer technology, though perhaps not quite the same bass extension with the smaller looking woofers.

Hmmm, I didn't say I "think", did I? But based on the LOOKS of it so far, it doesn't LOOK like.

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
Another point, I bet the the Q1 replacement will be more along the S1 vein, and not a book shelf.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
...carbon fiber plates of any shape are no longer expensive...the extra aluminum mass on the faceplate *might* actually mean less machining... so there you have it. But I do certainly see your point!

Now you're really stretching, but I don't think that is going to work. I will be looking for good deals on a Q3, you may want to start (although you have to be careful, there are a lot of fraudulent ads for Magico products).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Now you're really stretching, but I don't think that is going to work. I will be looking for good deals on a Q3, you may want to start (although you have to be careful, there are a lot of fraudulent ads for Magico products).

Oh I am no longer interested in a used Q3, because of the boxy nature, and more importantly, the lack of isolation of the midrange/tweeter - that was a huge omission.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
From what I understand, the Q3 is/was grossly under priced, and if you compare it to anything remotely close (Like the YG), you can see that. If that is a smaller MPro, there is no way it will cost $50K (look at Wilson Benesch carbon offering). But we can still hope...

Goodness gracious! As if High End companies needed more encouragements to increase prices in a brutal fashion. Why in the world can't they keep the same price or even make it lower? I know part of the answer: We are geared to accept increase in prices as better performance.
I will never ceased to marvel how flippantly, we audiophile discuss about 50% increase in price in an technology sector or is it luxury, Iyou will forgive me for forgetting. Where is the ceiling? How high does it have to get? :rolleyes:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Oh I am no longer interested in a used Q3, because of the boxy nature, and more importantly, the lack of isolation of the midrange/tweeter - that was a huge omission.

what do you mean "the lack of isolation of the midrange/tweeter"?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
what do you mean "the lack of isolation of the midrange/tweeter"?

Do you see that huge enclosure (cup) behind the mid/tweet in the new speaker (interior picture)? That's the acoustic isolation I am talking about, also present in the newer S series. The lack of it in earlier models is, to me, one of those classic speaker-engineering blunders. As a counter (good) example, look at the higher-end Wilsons, and the fact the mid/tweeter is in an entirely separate box...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Another point, I bet the the Q1 replacement will be more along the S1 vein, and not a book shelf.

Do you mean that the Q1 replacement will not likely be a stand mounted speaker? I'd love to know if they ever sold any Minis without the stands. Given the size and weight of the cabinet, it would have had to be a might strong and very deep book shelf.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Why? What would that offer? BTW, the Q1 goes deeper in the bass than the S1 does.

And no, the Q1 is not a "bookshelf". It's a monitor on stands. Apparently you haven't heard what a good monitor can do, otherwise you wouldn't use that dismissive language.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Do you mean that the Q1 replacement will not likely be a stand mounted speaker? I'd love to know if they ever sold any Minis without the stands. Given the size and weight of the cabinet, it would have had to be a might strong and very deep book shelf.

I saw you beat me to it.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Goodness gracious! As if High End companies needed more encouragements to increase prices in a brutal fashion. Why in the world can't they keep the same price or even make it lower? I know part of the answer: We are geared to accept increase in prices as better performance.
I will never ceased to marvel how flippantly, we audiophile discuss about 50% increase in price in an technology sector or is it luxury, Iyou will forgive me for forgetting. Where is the ceiling? How high does it have to get? :rolleyes:

I am simply trying to be realistic, I have no delusions about me getting a pair :(
But really, if you think about it, how much a Tesla will cost if they only made 50 or 500 of it? The problem is numbers, and as the high-end market shrink, price will most likely go up.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

All of the Magico's are grossly underpriced. So long as the target audience is willing to accept a much higher price, the price will continue to rise.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Do you see that huge enclosure (cup) behind the mid/tweet in the new speaker (interior picture)? That's the acoustic isolation I am talking about, also present in the newer S series. The lack of it in earlier models is, to me, one of those classic speaker-engineering blunders. As a counter (good) example, look at the higher-end Wilsons, and the fact the mid/tweeter is in an entirely separate box...

I may be reading you wrong, but of course the Q3 (and the Q5/S5/V3 etc) has a separate midrange compartment, they will not work properly without it, it is jut not a polymer bubble.

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012

My mistake, yes the stand is permanently attached to the speaker. The reason I opined the next Q1 replacement will be like a S1, tall and narrow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing