New Monster Audio Research Amplifier

Myles,

Care to elaborate?
Do you really think if a system plays "real world" music well, it's not a good system? I guess mine is a POS then, as it plays my 70s prog brilliantly :D

alexandre

Hey Alex!

I think a system has to play everything - but I was thinking more of current crop of music - not the '70s. I have some amazing rock on LP and tape from that period. If you're ever out my way, would be glad to play it for you. Stupified the audience in Philip O' Hanlon's room at RMAF last year :)

But the point was more that how can you judge something solely with electronic music because one really doesn't have a frame of reference?

My personal favorite is a direct to disc of flamenco dancing. The cover art shows the dancer on a table top; the microphones have to be situated directly beneath the table. If it sounds like a hammer hitting you in the head, you know the system is spot on.

You know, I think my dad that LP years ago. Can you post the album cover?

My personal favorite is a direct to disc of flamenco dancing. The cover art shows the dancer on a table top; the microphones have to be situated directly beneath the table. If it sounds like a hammer hitting you in the head, you know the system is spot on.

I think you're referring to Flamenco Fever on Crystal Clear. One of the few CC don't have and it goes for a couple hundred on ePay now.

Well there's lots of well recorded and great music out there.

But if much of this "real world" music sounds good on a system, I'd run the other way.

Could not disagree more. If my Bad Company, Who, Police, U2, Zep, Ryan Adams, or Hendrix albums can tell you much about a system, the plot is totally
lost I am afraid.

Hey Alex!

I think a system has to play everything - but I was thinking more of current crop of music - not the '70s. I have some amazing rock on LP and tape from that period. If you're ever out my way, would be glad to play it for you. Stupified the audience in Philip O' Hanlon's room at RMAF last year :)

But the point was more that how can you judge something solely with electronic music because one really doesn't have a frame of reference?

I love being baffled! I usually am :)

Maybe we should all use Zither music like Valin.

Could not disagree more. If my Bad Company, Who, Police, U2, Zep, Ryan Adams, or Hendrix albums can tell you much about a system, the plot is totally
lost I am afraid.

What does badly recorded music tell you except that it is badly recorded?

I think you're referring to Flamenco Fever on Crystal Clear. One of the few CC don't have and it goes for a couple hundred on ePay now.

I'm rich!
I think I stole it under George Stanwick's nose at the old Tower Annex when he worked there - paid, dunno, a buck 99? Remember when they sent all the vinyl over to the store that faced Lafayette street?

lost I am afraid.

Wasn't Free the predecessor band to Bad Company with Paul whatisname (died young) on guitar? (like Cossack?- loved his playing). You know, I love mainstream 70's pop sometimes over the system, but some of it does just sound pretty disappointing sonically. I bought a copy of a Gerry Rafferty album that had Baker St. on it, just cause I wanted to her that wailing sax. Played it once. It sounded like ****. Bummer.

PS the recent reissue of Hendrix in the West with that killer rendition of Red House sounds pretty good. Man, I love that cut.
I occasionally play the Gary Moore record with him sitting on the bed in the hotel room with his famous Peter Green lester.

:( Sounds a bit snobby to me.

Well what does it tell you about important musical qualities such as frequency response/extension, dynamics, timbre, resolution, etc? Most rock albums really doesn't have much low end - that is other than a hump around 100 Hz.

I'm rich!
I think I stole it under George Stanwick's nose at the old Tower Annex when he worked there - paid, dunno, a buck 99? Remember when they sent all the vinyl over to the store that faced Lafayette street?

Ha! Yes sure do. George was Wes Phillips replacement at Tower :)

Last edited:
Wasn't Free the predecessor band to Bad Company with Paul whatisname (died young) on guitar? (like Cossack?- loved his playing). You know, I love mainstream 70's pop sometimes over the system, but some of it does just sound pretty disappointing sonically. I bought a copy of a Gerry Rafferty album that had Baker St. on it, just cause I wanted to her that wailing sax. Played it once. It sounded like ****. Bummer.

PS the recent reissue of Hendrix in the West with that killer rendition of Red House sounds pretty good. Man, I love that cut.
I occasionally play the Gary Moore record with him sitting on the bed in the hotel room with his famous Peter Green lester.

Yes, Free was the pre cursor to Bad Company. They kicked royal ass. The CDs were all remastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road superbly.

I dunno, I never really get disappointed listening to my old classics...Cat Stevens, Rod Stewart, John Martyn, Santana, even Bee Gees, Parliament, Yes, you name it.

Gary Moore was a bad ass too.

Well what does it tell you about important musical qualities such as frequency response/extension, dynamics, timbre, resolution, etc? Most rock albums really doesn't have much low end - that is other than a hump around 100 Hz.

I guess I am looking for something different. I want to trip. I want to connect to the music. For me to listen for frequency response, timbre, etc I would need to put on a white lab coat. :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing