New Magico speaker - new M5?

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
USD 63.600 with the Mpods. Don't get me wrong, I am a true believer of free market and supply/demand setting an equilibrium so I do not judge Magico or its customers. I am just sad about the change in the hifi market.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
USD 63.600 with the Mpods. Don't get me wrong, I am a true believer of free market and supply/demand setting and equilibrium so I do not judge Magico or its customers. I am just sad about the change in the hifi market.

The M2 price is not too far away from that of M3.

I heard that M2 construction-wise resembles M6 more than M3.
And that M2 is inherently a better design than M3.

Do any WBF members know about this saying? Any comments?
Thanks!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
MAGICO

M2

M2 PR rev 7.jpg
M2 PR rev 71.jpg

State of the Art Loudspeaker, Floor standing, 3-way (Four Driver) Design

HAYWARD, CA (USA) – December 7, 2018 – Magico, the Leader in High-Performance Loudspeaker Design and Manufacture, is pleased to announce the M2 which expands the M-Series product lineup and features many ground-breaking engineering designs distilled from the M6 and M3.

Our materials science research in the properties and applications of carbon allows the M2 to feature a new monocoque enclosure. Similar in construction technique introduced in the M6, it is formed using multiple layers of carbon fiber adding up to a 3/8” thickness. Similar to the external shell of an F-35 fighter jet, this enclosure construction compared to machined or extruded aluminum parts increases the structural strength-to-weight ratio by a factor of 60, while reducing overall weight by 50% and yielding outer dimensions that are 30% smaller without compromising internal volume. The curved interior and exterior walls minimize internal standing waves and eliminate external diffractions.

Magico is the world’s first audio product manufacturer to utilize graphene in the development of a radically new and advanced loudspeaker cone design. Graphene has many extraordinary properties and is rated to be 100 times stronger than the strongest steel. The newly designed Magico six-inch midrange driver and seven-inch bass driver cones found in the M2 are both manufactured using Multi-Wall carbon XG Nanographene with a new ultra-stiff proprietary carbon weave which is 20% lighter and 300% stiffer than cone materials used in previous Magico product offerings. The midrange driver features an underhung neodymium-based motor system that uses two extra-large magnets which provide an ultra-stabilized magnetic field for the pure Titanium voice coil to operate within. This radical new driver design sets a new industry benchmark for performance and the minimization of total harmonic distortion.

A purpose built sub-enclosure formed of a proprietary polymer houses the midrange driver to optimize the control and articulation of mid-band frequencies and provides protection from the massive back wave pressure of the bass drivers. Midrange sub-enclosures using different shapes, sizes and materials have been implemented throughout the history of Magico 3-way loudspeaker designs.

The dual bass drivers in the M2 are vertically aligned to achieve ideal room integration and reproduce the lowest registers of bass frequency with speed and accuracy. Combined, the bass drivers are optimized for minimal music related distortions in the frequency and time domain using the latest state-of-the-art FEA simulation of acoustics, mechanics, electromagnetic and thermal behavior. The testing process is now completed on a single platform allowing optimization levels to be taken to a higher level.

An internal three-axis matrix framework along with three tension rods running front to back internally, contribute to an extremely rigid enclosure which eliminates unwanted resonances and colorations, allowing all drivers to perform with stunning resolution and dynamics. All four drivers in the M2 are acoustically integrated using Magico’s exclusive Elliptical Symmetry Crossover topology that includes state-of-the-art components from Mundorf of Germany. The MPOD 3-Pt stand contributes to the overall sonic performance by converting mechanical energy to heat through the science of constrained layer damping, while providing ideal coupling to the floor.

The M2 incorporates a 28-mm Diamond coated Beryllium dome tweeter with optimized geometry. The Diamond coating on the Beryllium dome increases the stiffness without adding the extra weight of a pure Diamond dome and offers a near perfect stiffness to weight ratio that is unmatched in the industry. This revolutionary tweeter design provides extra-long excursion movement and uses a customized neodymium-based motor system that matches the sensitivity and power handling capabilities of the M2 while maintaining ultra-wide dispersion characteristics and ultra-low distortion measurements.

Magico M2

State of the Art Loudspeaker, Floor standing, 3-way (Four Driver) Design

Driver Complement

1” MBD5D Tweeter (x1)

6” MAG60004RTC Graphene Nano-Tec Midrange (x1)

7” MAG70008RT Graphene Nano-Tec Bass (x2)

Specifications

Sensitivity: 88dB

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Frequency Response: 26 Hz – 50 kHz

Recommended Power: Minimum 50W rms

Dimensions: 18” x 17.5” x 45” (w/ MPod Stand)

Weight: 165 lbs. (w/ MPod Stand)

M2 SRP US $ 56,000 /pair

M2 MPOD 3-Pt Stand SRP US $ 7,600 /pair (optional)

Ship date: 1st Quarter 2019

About Magico, LLC

Magico was created over a decade ago for the sole purpose of leading a no holds-barred assault on what is possible in contemporary loudspeaker design. Inspired by the unique vision of Industrial designer and accomplished musician Alon Wolf, every Magico product is designed against the true standard of perfect audio reproduction – live music. At Magico, we strive to lead in the creation, development, and manufacture of the most elegant and technologically advanced loudspeaker systems in the world. Each product expresses our passion to craft uncompromising devices that reveal the music as never before.

For more information please contact Peter Mackay, V.P. Global Sales and Marketing at Magico LLC. Telephone: 1-510-649-9700, Ext 104, E-mail: peter@magico.net, or, visit us at www.magico.net

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The M2 price is not too far away from that of M3.

I heard that M2 construction-wise resembles M6 more than M3.
And that M2 is inherently a better design than M3.

Do any WBF members know about this saying? Any comments?
Thanks!

So now M3 owners need to worry about resale value of their speakers. Oh well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
These are great looking speakers and I'm sure they will find places in smaller rooms in urban settings. Great for dealers and those who can afford to play at this level. There seems to be an increasing gap between the S and the M lines, at least in price. I wonder if they will develop a stand mounted M1. It would also be very interesting to hear the evolution from the V3 > S3 Mk2 > M2.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
These are great looking speakers and I'm sure they will find places in smaller rooms in urban settings. Great for dealers and those who can afford to play at this level. There seems to be an increasing gap between the S and the M lines, at least in price. I wonder if they will develop a stand mounted M1. It would also be very interesting to hear the evolution from the V3 > S3 Mk2 > M2.

This increasing price gap means my S3's will stick around awhile longer.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I wonder what difference that third woofer makes. The Q3 is now pretty old tech, but it seems to be an increasingly good value on the used market. This is all rather sobering.

Sobering, or simply free market economy and technical progress. Glass half full or half empty, anybody's choice.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
There seems to be an increasing gap between the S and the M lines, at least in price.
Don't worry, they will certainly close that gap soon enough :rolleyes:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have already ordered the M2/Mpods for Rhapsody demos and have two customers thinking of ordering the M2's in the next few days just from listening to both the M3s and the A3s.

Reactions: CKKeung and JimmyS

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Looks like they are going with the Morel sourced drivers for the foreseeable future. Too bad that they keep sticking with the hard Beryllium tweeter.
The ever spiraling price increase in the high end market, seems to have no limit....therefore one cannot blame AW for taking advantage of that economy.
I am still unsure how they come up with these numbers, why not multitudes of them?? IOW, wherein does price resistance become a factor, because it clearly is not at the multi tens of thousands, and apparently not at the multi hundreds of thousands either..:oops:

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Too bad that they keep sticking with the hard Beryllium tweeter.
T...
I know it is hard for you to understand the basic principle of sound reproduction, but “hard” Beryllium tweeter, is actually a very good thing. In fact the “harder" the better (and the sweeter the sound will be).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I know it is hard for you to understand the basic principle of sound reproduction, but “hard” Beryllium tweeter, is actually a very good thing. In fact the “harder" the better (and the sweeter the sound will be).
Hard for me to understand the basic principle of sound reproduction....really??:(

It's hard for me to understand how your ears fail to tell you how the hard tweeters 'ring' at very high frequencies, which i guess you don't hear! That's the only thing I find hard to understand, LOL.:p

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
New to the forum and first post. I have to say I'm really liking my A3s after reading this thread.

Reactions: steve59

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
With respect to dynamic drivers, one ideally wants true pistonic behavior in a very wide frequency range for accurate reproduction. That can only be achieved with "hard" drivers, otherwise they exhibit break-up modes where you don't want them. A hard driver is a very good thing, and beryllium + diamond dust gives pistonic behavior out to the high kHz - a great thing.

On the other hand, soft-domes like the recent Wilson or older Magico (like the Mini II, V2's, V3's, M5's etc) would tend to operate in a chaotic fashion in perhaps a large part of their operating frequencies, which may also sound pleasing but it not necessarily accurate.

+1000 on Magico's direction

PS: Metal domes are not as pistonic either

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A better solution, would be a ribbon...like the Raal driver. No possibility of ringing and able to scale the heights with ease. IME, all metal domes have a hard edged glare and tend to ring as they scale up. At the price asked for these Magico's, I would think a Raal would be a superior sounding tweeter, across the board, IMHO.
Only problem is AW has a 'relationship' with the folks at Morel.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I like YG's unique approach, a hybrid. A silk dome with an aluminum supporting frame. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

Reactions: CKKeung and DaveyF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing