S3 M-Cast
IMG_20221214_053251.jpg

S3 M-Coat
IMG_20221214_054706.jpg

Reactions: J117 and Rhapsody

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Has Stereophile received their review copy yet? What's the line on it making the cover and becoming/speaker component of the year?:cool:

I can't wait for the " even at the high asking price, this speaker is a relative bargin " :p

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Especially when it comes to Magico, it seems to push all the right buttons ;)
I can't wait for the " even at the high asking price, this speaker is a relative bargin " :p
I'm already there as a predictiono_O Because with the A5/A9 mid "type" drivers, the M series tweeter and the new driver versions of the bass drivers, I will bet that they compete sonically with the M series, which are $30K- $50K more - sans the CF cabinets.

The more we discuss this the new S3's seem more and more of a bargain, of course imho:p But then I'm a dealer so ignore my opinions!!!

I should add that the mid driver in the new S3 has the same cone so it is similar to the A5 mid-driver, BUT it even has a much better motor system. Makes it even more of a bargain;)

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Regarding whether or not the new S3 (can we call it the MKIII?) is a bargain, we need to compare how it sounds relative to the other speakers available around the same price, including other Magicos. Value has meaning in relative terms, not in isolation.

My former Q3 ended up with a final price around mid $40Ks. If this is similarly priced but sound much better, that would be quite impressive. I do like the anodized finish of the Q series more than the gloss paint finish. I just wish Magico would start to design much more efficient speakers, say 100 dB, 8 or 16 ohm loads, so that there was more of a choice for amplifiers. With all of the new designs and improvements, they remain very difficult speakers to drive.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Since I posted the new S3 information, I’ve had three or four emails and two phone calls, already asking me to let them know when they come in as they want to come in and hear them.
Yes of course, I would like to listen to this new S3 asap too.
Hope that Magico can keep their promise of delivery to dealers within 1Q2023.

When Alon was interviewed by Jay Audio a few months ago, he hinted that there would be a new loudspeaker announced before 2023.
At that time I wondered whether it would be a new M3, because it's quite long in tooth.

When I knew that it's a new S3, I was initially a bit disappointed but was happy again after reading about the new drivers, particularly the new graphene-sandwiched honeycomb aluminium woofers.

My guess is also that it may be close to the similarly sized M2 in terms of sonic performance.

Reactions: ecwl and Rhapsody

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'm already there as a predictiono_O Because with the A5/A9 mid "type" drivers, the M series tweeter and the new driver versions of the bass drivers, I will bet that they compete sonically with the M series, which are $30K- $50K more - sans the CF cabinets.

The more we discuss this the new S3's seem more and more of a bargain, of course imho:p But then I'm a dealer so ignore my opinions!!!

I should add that the mid driver in the new S3 has the same cone so it is similar to the A5 mid-driver, BUT it even has a much better motor system. Makes it even more of a bargain;)

Perhaps it should have been called a S4 ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Regarding whether or not the new S3 (can we call it the MKIII?) is a bargain, we need to compare how it sounds relative to the other speakers available around the same price, including other Magicos. Value has meaning in relative terms, not in isolation.

My former Q3 ended up with a final price around mid $40Ks. If this is similarly priced but sound much better, that would be quite impressive. I do like the anodized finish of the Q series more than the gloss paint finish. I just wish Magico would start to design much more efficient speakers, say 100 dB, 8 or 16 ohm loads, so that there was more of a choice for amplifiers. With all of the new designs and improvements, they remain very difficult speakers to drive.
I did a demo this afternoon for the A5s using the VAC 170 IQ integrated amp at 80 watts. Way more than enough power. From my experience 50 watts push poll does the trick.

My bet would be that Magico will not be building 100 DB efficient speakers to drive with low wattage tube amps. I personally don’t see any reason why they would do that. They have a charted their course and are doing quite well in the direction that they have chosen.

Reactions: CKKeung

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Perhaps it should have been called a S4 ;)
I don’t disagree with that at all. I don’t see it having much to do with the original S3 or the II other than a vague similarity of shape.

Edit- Although you could not call it a S4 as in several Asian countries the number 4 is an unlucky number.

Last edited:
Reactions: J117

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I did a demo this afternoon for the A5s using the VAC 170 IQ integrated amp at 80 watts. Way more than enough power. From my experience 50 watts push poll does the trick.

My bet would be that Magico will not be building 100 DB efficient speakers to drive with low wattage tube amps. I personally don’t see any reason why they would do that. They have a charted their course and are doing quite well in the direction that they have chosen.

Bob, I don’t think Magico will change direction either. I expressed it as a wish of mine. I think the audience and the dealerships are very comfortable with the established medium to high powered expensive amplification that we see with most Magico speakers.

My Q3s sounded phenomenal with the LAMMM 1.1 100 watt solid-state amplifiers. But when I hooked up the ML2 SETs with 18 W there was a magic there. They just couldn’t provide the drive. Magico speakers allow you to hear what is upstream. That’s the only reason I would like a broader choice of amplification. I understand it will not happen and that is fine. They are a very successful brand.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Bob, I don’t think Magico will change direction either. I expressed it as a wish of mine. I think the audience and the dealerships are very comfortable with the established medium to high powered expensive amplification that we see with most Magico speakers.

My Q3s sounded phenomenal with the LAMMM 1.1 100 watt solid-state amplifiers. But when I hooked up the ML2 SETs with 18 W there was a magic there. They just couldn’t provide the drive. Magico speakers allow you to hear what is upstream. That’s the only reason I would like a broader choice of amplification. I understand it will not happen and that is fine. They are a very successful brand.
It would be interesting! Like they say "ya never know".

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I recently saw the older design at a dealer in Las Vegas. My view is the painted finish is much more refined than the black anodized ones. The old finish reminds me of an old MIG fighter jet:) Kudos to Magico for updating their design and technology. IMHO the M series are among the most elegant looking ultra-performance speakers on the market.

Reactions: Bobvin

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Some say Devialet Gear is the very best gear for Magico speakers
It depends what a person is looking for. If you want a lifestyle type system, that sounds great and is easy to use and doesn’t take much space the expert pro integrated amplifiers are a great choice. They definitely have some type of synergy going on with Magico speakers.

Although, as soon as you put on a higher level either tube or solid state set of electronics It is very noticeable, but usually comes with a larger footprint, higher cost, and not as lifestyle friendly to live with on daily basis.

Reactions: CKKeung

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

but outside of the old Ultimate, that's not their design theory. you can't do that in sealed boxes with the kind of drivers they choose. said another way, it wouldn't be a Magico if they used light paper drivers, a small # of drivers, and ported cabinets. their whole selling point is we use the most advanced drivers, materials, and cabinets out there as certified by millions of $ on measuring devices and designed on fancy computer programs. efficiency has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Each watt of my ML3 costs $2266 , the same watt of the Siegfried II costs $58. We need a 16dB difference in efficiency to compensate for the difference of the price per watt! :)

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Some say Devialet Gear is the very best gear for Magico speakers

We enjoy both Vitus and EMM gear with our Magico M3s. I won’t call it the best - as there is no best - but it is so very satisfying that I don’t need to look at anything else, except maybe some M6 Mk IIs, if they ever make a set.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Why does he prefer a sealed enclosure?
I am paraphrasing of course. He felt that an open baffle was too room dependent. He could make a speaker sound a certain way in his factory that is sealed and be reasonably assured it will sound similar in his customer's room.

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I am still aiting for

I am paraphrasing of course. He felt that an open baffle was too room dependent. He could make a speaker sound a certain way in his factory that is sealed and be reasonably assured it will sound similar in his customer's room.
Make sense!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing