New Magico Speaker ??? 12-12-22

Skanda

May 2, 2020
apologies for the multiple posts, i listen to plenty of terrible recordings and have never once felt that the magicos made them unlistenable. where i notice bad records the most is that the bass tends to sound hollow - a weak midbass punch. vocals sound artificial or even tipped up but rarely sibilant. i say rarely because im sure i could find or two that do but i can't even think of one off the top of my head. for context i use a soulution 7series pre in that system which does not hold anything back but i believe the r2r dac and symphonic line are smoothing out the sound. a friend listened to my system recently and said it sounded full and detailed - not a bad outcome!

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
apologies for the multiple posts, i listen to plenty of terrible recordings and have never once felt that the magicos made them unlistenable. where i notice bad records the most is that the bass tends to sound hollow - a weak midbass punch. vocals sound artificial or even tipped up but rarely sibilant. i say rarely because im sure i could find or two that do but i can't even think of one off the top of my head. for context i use a soulution 7series pre in that system which does not hold anything back but i believe the r2r dac and symphonic line are smoothing out the sound. a friend listened to my system recently and said it sounded full and detailed - not a bad outcome!
What dac are you using?

Skanda

May 2, 2020
rockna wavedream signature se. my whole chain for that system is listed in my profile

Reactions: TDX

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
@egradyh I currently have the Magico A5s, purchased approximately a year ago. Love 'em.

The speakers before the A5s were the Revel Studio2s. I had them for 2-3 years, using two REL T7i subs. I liked the Revels. They were smooth and well balanced and I had the room set-up well.

However, when considering a move to the Salon2s, I felt I owed it to my ears to listen to something else/new. I did listen to the Salon2s in two local systems, so I had a good idea of the delta there. And they sounded good.

Part of my decision to stray was also Revel's PR on the speakers. They were pimping their F308s (??) and new tech. I read a review with comments from a Harmon guy who said the Fs were better.

So I drove 65 miles to hear the A5s (and a couple of Wilsons) at a shop, and arranged for a demo in my home.

Frankly, IMO the A5s waaay outpaced the Revels. By comparison, the Revels...even removing the subs...sounded flabby. A5 bass was tight and articulate.

I casually listened to the S3s yesterday, and they sounded nice too, but I was there for other purposes, so was not too focussed. Little SabrinaXs sounded very nice too yesterday, FYI.

I hope that is useful info in your consideration. IMO the A5s have excellent detail, but have never sounded etched/bright to me. Front end here is Extreme and MSB Ref, fyi. Good Luck!

egradyh

Aug 19, 2018
@egradyh I currently have the Magico A5s, purchased approximately a year ago. Love 'em.

The speakers before the A5s were the Revel Studio2s. I had them for 2-3 years, using two REL T7i subs. I liked the Revels. They were smooth and well balanced and I had the room set-up well.

However, when considering a move to the Salon2s, I felt I owed it to my ears to listen to something else/new. I did listen to the Salon2s in two local systems, so I had a good idea of the delta there. And they sounded good.

Part of my decision to stray was also Revel's PR on the speakers. They were pimping their F308s (??) and new tech. I read a review with comments from a Harmon guy who said the Fs were better.

So I drove 65 miles to hear the A5s (and a couple of Wilsons) at a shop, and arranged for a demo in my home.

Frankly, IMO the A5s waaay outpaced the Revels. By comparison, the Revels...even removing the subs...sounded flabby. A5 bass was tight and articulate.

I casually listened to the S3s yesterday, and they sounded nice too, but I was there for other purposes, so was not too focussed. Little SabrinaXs sounded very nice too yesterday, FYI.

I hope that is useful info in your consideration. IMO the A5s have excellent detail, but have never sounded etched/bright to me. Front end here is Extreme and MSB Ref, fyi. Good Luck!
No question that the Studio 2's are weak in bass power and control. I couldn't believe what my pair of Revel 510's did on the low end. Not only that, but the soundstage also expanded in all directions. What got me considering Magico is I heard the M2's and they really showed me what a true low end does to music.

Still, it's not the low end I'm concerned about. I'll use Mozart's 36th Symphony, 4th movement, conducted by Bruno Walter, as my example. I have spent year's trying to get the massed strings on that piece from driving me out of the room. While not exactly sweet, with my current system it is listenable. Shunyata conditioning and cables have helped remove glare/grain from this piece and other classical recordings where the massed strings are edgy. If Magico's don't spotlight flaws, like the Revel's, then I'm in. Did you hear the new S3 or the S3 Mk2?

One last thing. How in the world did you get a home demo?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I believe it was MkII. By demo, if you mean A5s, I listened in the shop and liked them, but thought my room would be better. So I struck a deal: I'm serious, but I won't be sure until I hear them in situ. I paid for the speakers and 350 bucks for the guys to deliver them 65miles (one way). If for some reason they sound less than stellar here, the guys take them back, shop refunds my money, but keeps the 350 bucks. Seemed reasonable. Worked out great!

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I've been living with Revel Studio's 2's and REL 510 subs for many years. The Revel's are a good match as they are very smooth and easy to listen too. That is very important to me as I have a number of problematical recordings that demand a speaker that is grain free. If the speaker spotlights a microphone with a tipped up upper midrange, on massed strings, it isn't for me. It's the old dilemma, I want the detail, but not the edge.

The Revel's are a very old design and speakers have come a long way since 2007. The new Magico S3 or A5 look interesting. How do Magico's balance providing the detail they do without making less than perfect recordings impossible to listen too?
I drive Magico A5s with Audionet Humboldt. Source is Oladra via MSB Reference DAC.
Great recordings are sensational, even crappy 80s ones sound good. The detail is there, and no edge at all.
No idea what you would hear with lower-grade amps, though.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I drive Magico A5s with Audionet Humboldt. Source is Oladra via MSB Reference DAC.
Great recordings are sensational, even crappy 80s ones sound good. The detail is there, and no edge at all.
No idea what you would hear with lower-grade amps, though.
Yup. It’s about the whole chain.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Magico new S3 2023 landed on UK :

:cool:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Alon will be in London answering questions before going to Munich.
:D

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Magico measures & treats their room in Munich HighEnd 2023 meticulously :

magico_at_munich_high_end_show_2023_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile...jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing