New darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII owner experience

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
This past year I’ve been searching for a new integrated amplifier to replace a Devialet D-Premier (upgraded to Expert) that has been my primary amplifier for the past decade. The Devialet was a wonderful match for Harbeth speakers (C7ES3) that I previously owned, and the Phono section is really good in my opinion. The Devialet allowed me to hear changes in my system as I upgraded, and two years ago I made some substantial upgrades including Wilson Sasha DAW speakers. Thereafter, my audio system took a huge leap forward in dynamics, imaging and resolution and ultimately exposed the Devialet shortcomings. I have been interested in darTZeel after seeing and hearing their products at audio shows over the years. This past June at THE SHOW, I met Ed Sudario at the Audio Association room and set in motion a demo of the darTZeel integrated at my home, which ultimately led to my purchase.

In my opinion, The darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII integrated amplifier is an absolute gem in the world of high-fidelity audio. Its musicality is breathtaking, effortlessly translating every note into an immersive sonic experience that sounds and feels like nothing else I’ve experienced in my home system. Images just float in space, are solid, and have depth that make my speakers virtually disappear. The soundstage it creates is expansive, with a nuanced and rich sound that brings out details I never knew existed in my favorite tracks. As I primarily listen to vinyl records, I wanted an excellent built in phono preamp and I got it with the darTZeel. My records have never sounded better. There is an analog richness, along with transparency and openness that is pleasing. Voices are dynamic, realistic and beautiful, horns have the proper harmonics and bite, bass is fast and well defined, treble is never harsh, bright or veiled. Surface noise is not accentuated. There is “midrange magic” to a high degree and it just sounds “pretty” to me. I played the Nutcracker from the Royal Ballet Analogue Productions LP last night, and the strings were just beautifully rendered by the darTZeel. I am smitten and very pleased with the overall sound. In terms of build quality, the darTZeel 8550 is precision built and is a testament to darTZeel's commitment to excellence – the 8550 exudes quality, contributing to its exceptional performance and user experience.

Lastly, a shout out to Ed Sudario and The Audio Association. Ed deserves immense praise for his exceptional service and commitment to customer satisfaction. Ed's knowledge and passion for audio gear shine through in his excellent communication, guiding enthusiasts like me with expertise and genuine care. The opportunity to home demo the darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII before purchasing was a game-changer, allowing for a firsthand experience of its capabilities. The overall buying experience at Audio Association was smooth, personalized, and truly elevated by Ed's dedication to ensuring customers find their perfect match in audio equipment.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
congrats CJ on your new darTZeel! very happy for you and welcome to the darTZeel family!

the CTH8550 should be a sweet match for your Wilson's.

darTZeel get's the music right. and it's Swiss built like a tank. Ed Sudario will be there for you long term, known him for 20 years.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

Congrats!
Terrific integrated, it seems indeed.

I'm sure it must sound very good with the Sasha DAW, that I know a bit.
In Brussels, the darTZeel dealer offers excellent associations with the Harbeth M40.3, and gobsmacking associations with Swiss speakers Stenheim (cone-based speakers that are not of this world, at least for someone who attends acoustic, unamplified and dynamically uncompressed live music concerts nearly every week). Here is his webpage regarding the darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII, with overview of the amplifier's awards (including "Reference" award from a French hifi magazine, and Diapason d'Or, the award of the biggest French classical music magazine).

The darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII has been demonstrated the 14th & 15th of October 2023 in Brussels with the new Stenheim Alumine Two.Five ($26K). Musically, in terms of tonality, rythm, realism, body and transparency, the result was first class "for the prize", if I can say so.

By choosing that integrated, were you motivated mainly by system simplification, or by another goal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Hello Corey! Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure and honor to have helped you with your new DarTZeel unit! As @Mike Lavigne said... "it's Swiss built like a tank" and should offer years of wonderful musical experiences.

Happy Holidays and I look forward to a visit to wonderful Omaha in the near future!

Ed Sudario

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
congrats CJ on your new darTZeel! very happy for you and welcome to the darTZeel family!

the CTH8550 should be a sweet match for your Wilson's.

darTZeel get's the music right. and it's Swiss built like a tank. Ed Sudario will be there for you long term, known him for 20 years.
Thanks Mike! Appreciate you... has it been 20 years? Where has the time gone???? Happy Holidays!

Ed

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
Wow, great gear selection @TheAudioAssociation :
regarding Grimm Audio, don't know if you distribute also their Grimm Audio LS-1 be active speaker (BE stands for beryllium tweeter, optional). The first active speaker which convinces me completely. Sound like a genuine music instrument, with dedicated and custom nCore modules fine-tuned by Bruno Putzeys, and DSP correction - yeah, on paper, we all hate it, but wait, go listen to these. Amazing (the "bubble" is somewhat small though: for 1 or 2 persons, midfield).
I attend acoustic concert every week, the rightness of their tonality is unmistakable. For people who don't have much space, or live in a condo, rather digital-oriented, it's a terrific package.
Music, what a wonderful hobby...

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratutaltion on the new darTZeel integrated.
Thank you for sharing your journey

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
[please forgive my poor English]

Congrats!
Terrific integrated, it seems indeed.

I'm sure it must sound very good with the Sasha DAW, that I know a bit.
In Brussels, the darTZeel dealer offers excellent associations with the Harbeth M40.3, and gobsmacking associations with Swiss speakers Stenheim (cone-based speakers that are not of this world, at least for someone who attends acoustic, unamplified and dynamically uncompressed live music concerts nearly every week). Here is his webpage regarding the darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII, with overview of the amplifier's awards (including "Reference" award from a French hifi magazine, and Diapason d'Or, the award of the biggest French classical music magazine).

The darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII has been demonstrated the 14th & 15th of October 2023 in Brussels with the new Stenheim Alumine Two.Five ($26K). Musically, in terms of tonality, rythm, realism, body and transparency, the result was first class "for the prize", if I can say so.

By choosing that integrated, were you motivated mainly by system simplification, or by another goal?

Yes, system simplification was one of my goals. However, I still seem to have too many boxes, LOL. Ultimately, however, I was looking for a more musical and emotional home experience with my audio system. Thank you for your comments.

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Wow, great gear selection @TheAudioAssociation :
regarding Grimm Audio, don't know if you distribute also their Grimm Audio LS-1 be active speaker (BE stands for beryllium tweeter, optional). The first active speaker which convinces me completely. Sound like a genuine music instrument, with dedicated and custom nCore modules fine-tuned by Bruno Putzeys, and DSP correction - yeah, on paper, we all hate it, but wait, go listen to these. Amazing (the "bubble" is somewhat small though: for 1 or 2 persons, midfield).
I attend acoustic concert every week, the rightness of their tonality is unmistakable. For people who don't have much space, live a condo, rather digital-oriented, it's a terrific package.
Music, what a wonderful hobby...
Hello and thanks for the compliment. Yes, I'm in discussions regarding the LS-1 Speaker. Hoping to have one in Southern California in the near future!

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Congratulations on your newest addition! I'm sure the DarTZeel is absolutely amazing with the Sasha's! One of my favorite speakers for sure!
Enjoy!

George

Dierkx1

Jan 14, 2020
This past year I’ve been searching for a new integrated amplifier to replace a Devialet D-Premier (upgraded to Expert) that has been my primary amplifier for the past decade. The Devialet was a wonderful match for Harbeth speakers (C7ES3) that I previously owned, and the Phono section is really good in my opinion. The Devialet allowed me to hear changes in my system as I upgraded, and two years ago I made some substantial upgrades including Wilson Sasha DAW speakers. Thereafter, my audio system took a huge leap forward in dynamics, imaging and resolution and ultimately exposed the Devialet shortcomings. I have been interested in darTZeel after seeing and hearing their products at audio shows over the years. This past June at THE SHOW, I met Ed Sudario at the Audio Association room and set in motion a demo of the darTZeel integrated at my home, which ultimately led to my purchase.

In my opinion, The darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII integrated amplifier is an absolute gem in the world of high-fidelity audio. Its musicality is breathtaking, effortlessly translating every note into an immersive sonic experience that sounds and feels like nothing else I’ve experienced in my home system. Images just float in space, are solid, and have depth that make my speakers virtually disappear. The soundstage it creates is expansive, with a nuanced and rich sound that brings out details I never knew existed in my favorite tracks. As I primarily listen to vinyl records, I wanted an excellent built in phono preamp and I got it with the darTZeel. My records have never sounded better. There is an analog richness, along with transparency and openness that is pleasing. Voices are dynamic, realistic and beautiful, horns have the proper harmonics and bite, bass is fast and well defined, treble is never harsh, bright or veiled. Surface noise is not accentuated. There is “midrange magic” to a high degree and it just sounds “pretty” to me. I played the Nutcracker from the Royal Ballet Analogue Productions LP last night, and the strings were just beautifully rendered by the darTZeel. I am smitten and very pleased with the overall sound. In terms of build quality, the darTZeel 8550 is precision built and is a testament to darTZeel's commitment to excellence – the 8550 exudes quality, contributing to its exceptional performance and user experience.

Lastly, a shout out to Ed Sudario and The Audio Association. Ed deserves immense praise for his exceptional service and commitment to customer satisfaction. Ed's knowledge and passion for audio gear shine through in his excellent communication, guiding enthusiasts like me with expertise and genuine care. The opportunity to home demo the darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII before purchasing was a game-changer, allowing for a firsthand experience of its capabilities. The overall buying experience at Audio Association was smooth, personalized, and truly elevated by Ed's dedication to ensuring customers find their perfect match in audio equipment.

recent addition

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
Congratulations, and enjoy the ride!

germinal

Nov 5, 2021

Congratz

as an owner I can say the 8550 is indeed build like a tank. It’s an exquisite piece of equipment. The soundstage is wide, BUT it’s not the most revealing amp. It doesn’t show every detail that‘s in the recording. as the sonic performance goes it’s a nice sounding amp on the warm side. An amp that puts a warm euphoric blanket over most recordings and hides shortcomings. I like that, I guess you do too.

but it’s way way too expensive

buzzlulu

Jan 31, 2022
Congratz

as an owner I can say the 8550 is indeed build like a tank. It’s an exquisite piece of equipment. The soundstage is wide, BUT it’s not the most revealing amp. It doesn’t show every detail that‘s in the recording. as the sonic performance goes it’s a nice sounding amp on the warm side. An amp that puts a warm euphoric blanket over most recordings and hides shortcomings. I like that, I guess you do too.

but it’s way way too expensive
What source are you using with it? Obviously the 8550's ability to reveal will be dictated by the resolving quality of the source.

When I demoed the 8550 it was fronted by a dCS Rossini + clock - no problem revealing what this totl player is capable of giving.
I now have a new DarTZeel pre and power in my system fronted by my Rossini+clock (even though I loved the 8550 I decided to go further up the line). This combination EASILY reveals more than my previous totl Naim 552/500 system.

As for price I actually felt the 8550 was a "bargain" (if one can say that). My Naim 552/500 lists for $70k - the $42k super integrated from DarTZeel outperforms and has a lower box and cable count. It is extremely impressive imho.

Reactions: OZ996

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
What source are you using with it? Obviously the 8550's ability to reveal will be dictated by the resolving quality of the source.

When I demoed the 8550 it was fronted by a dCS Rossini + clock - no problem revealing what this totl player is capable of giving.
I now have a new DarTZeel pre and power in my system fronted by my Rossini+clock (even though I loved the 8550 I decided to go further up the line). This combination EASILY reveals more than my previous totl Naim 552/500 system.

As for price I actually felt the 8550 was a "bargain" (if one can say that). My Naim 552/500 lists for $70k - the $42k super integrated from DarTZeel outperforms and has a lower box and cable count. It is extremely impressive imho.
Actually it’s not ( in my case ) what’s in front ( DAC) because I have this cheap ( 400 euros ) ass single ended 8w EL34 tube amp and it’s more revealing than the 8550 on my speakers. And I know for a fact that Hervé uses thesame brand of speakers in his system.

The cheap tube amp clearly doesnt suger coat the sound as the 8550 does.

I even dare to say this flea tube amp 400 is better sounding than the 8550 with certain source material and worse with other material.

It’s not that I like this conclusion but it’s a fact.

germinal

Nov 5, 2021
Sounds like you may want to save some money and move the 8550 on if those are your findings.
I might. Problem with these high end hifi products is, you can be very very happy if you can recuperate 40% of the MSRP in a sale.

the one thing that strikes me most is : when the Dartzeel is connected and nothing is playing : when I put my ears to the tweeter there is a slight “hiss, on the other hand the cheap chi-fi tube amp is dead silent ?

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne

Nice one mate!
Just came across this post. I've been very keen on Dartzeel for a while. Or should I say, when the time comes to downsize from all tube monoblocks and settle for a top-end SS amplifier that can drive my CLX's optimally. I short listed down to 3 of my all time favourites:
1. Pass Labs XA60.8 monoblocks
2. Vitus Audio SS-103
3. Dartzeel stereo version mk II

I home trialled 1 & 2 not number 3. However, I did try an older version mk1 of the Dartzeel and it was quite fine with the CLX's. Then again I couldn't let go of tooobs... not just yet. Oh! For the love of tooobs.

Early this July, I auditioned the Dartzeel stereo power amp mk2 and their top of the line monoblocks driving the ML Ren15a's, superb!!! And so was the price tag!!!... dog house incoming!

The Dartzeel was just a beautiful sound and an absolute work of Art! Like a piece of jewellery... those Swiss do know how to make Art work sound good! Anyway, for that particular price range, both the Dartzeel and Vitus were right up there. The Pass Labs XA60.8's were the best match by far, driving full range stats in my particular system. So I've settled on Pass Labs when the time comes.

That time has not come as yet, so still enjoying those fine tunes on tooobs!

BTW, going from Devialet to Dartzeel... Uh? There's just no comparison at all! No chance Charlie!
Dartzeel is in a completely different league. Forget the looks and build quality, that's in a class of its own but from the first note onwards, awe-inspiring, Dartzeel it is!

Cheers, and enjoy those finest tunes.
WOOF! RJ

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
Yes, there is something compelling about the darTZeel sound, at least for me and I think others too. I've got half a dozen local audiophile buddies, and we listen to each other systems frequently. I've quietly observed every single one of them tapping their foot in time with the music when listening to my darTZeel fronted system. That is a new, subconscious thing that just happens. Fun!

Reactions: skinnyfla

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Actually it’s not ( in my case ) what’s in front ( DAC) because I have this cheap ( 400 euros ) ass single ended 8w EL34 tube amp and it’s more revealing than the 8550 on my speakers. And I know for a fact that Hervé uses thesame brand of speakers in his system.

The cheap tube amp clearly doesnt suger coat the sound as the 8550 does.

I even dare to say this flea tube amp 400 is better sounding than the 8550 with certain source material and worse with other material.

It’s not that I like this conclusion but it’s a fact.
… so you are seriously saying you have a 400€ tube amp that sounds better than the darTZeel which you also own… driving which speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing