CTH-8550 and a matching cartridge.

Seldon

Jun 5, 2022
Hi everyone,

Currently, I'm in search of a new cartridge for my system and have been considering the Hana Umami Red and Lyra Kleos. I'm curious to know if any other owners of the CTH have experience with how the built-in RIAA interacts with these cartridges. My turntable setup is a Brinkmann Bardo + Rönt III with the Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm.

//John

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I used the same TT with the CTH (sans Ront) so am familiar. I tried a Lyra Delos and didn't like it at all as it sounded sorta digital and analytical biased. The loading is fixed/set at 1khz iirc, so keep that in mind for cartridges. I don't believe low output carts would be a good match. My current EMT HSD006 would probably be excellent.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
EMT Novel might fit.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I have Oasis with Ront and 10.5, was advised away from Umami Red by two experienced users, good not great. Phasemation PP2000 was recommended over and above Red & Lyra Etna/Atlas pre Lambda. Not necessarily better in all areas than those Lyra but better balance was the opinion I got. Very happy with it. Don’t see any reason why it would work with the Dart, works well at 100ohm or thereabouts. Etsuro Cobolt/Bordeaux we’re also recommended by users as a notable step up from the Red. Good luck, end of the day, expect all could produce satisfying results

Reactions: Seldon and shakti

Seldon

Jun 5, 2022
Thanks for your suggestions and insights. I will visit a nearby dealer who stocks EMT cartridges and check if they have any demos available. What output level do you guys consider as low output? Is it anything less than 0.3mV?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing