New Berning Monos 211/845

Hello Violinist & St. Moritz skier,

Best to you,
zz.

What terrible combination of attributes to be known for ;-) especially as i hate St.Moritz, but love Samedan and Sils (the slopes are of course the same, just the people are a very different species!)

VS dpa's are fantastic, but I have the wrong speakers for them :-( (Stella Opus, an elderly Swiss studio design, I have tried them at home with the Merlins where they shine, but I cannot place them sensibly with people moving to and fro, the tubes might be endangered ;-)
They are very similar to the Berning when it comes to strings, even Jazz, but with a big Grand Piano they seem to collapse. Typical case of miscombination on my part. In mid June I will get my Berning Zotl pre back, that I had lent out, and will check if it might simply depend on the pre/power combination (I have currently only the passive Silver Rock)

So a mix of practical and soundcompatibility problems. But when heard properly, they really do sound wonderful, slightly warmer than Berning maaaybe.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing