New Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G3

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
IIRC, Mezzo G3 without iTron is about $65K (actually about the same price as my Duo Mezzo when I purchased it).
This is very unlikely. The Mezzo without iTron is about 87k in euro here. Including taxes of course. Or do you mean one ;)? And you know the two certainties in life

Last edited:

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello,

To add som clarity, in the US the retail prices for the speakers are:
DuoGT: $60,050 with passive crossover and standard finish options
Mezzo G3: $108,600 with passive crossover and standard finish options

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
For those interested, I set up the Mezzo G3's at AXPONA and the DuoGT's at the South West AudioFest. The Mezzo's are the better speaker as they should be. Here are some observations:

The bass cabinet is much more rigid. It has thick aluminum plates on both the top and bottom as well as the thick aluminum "wings" for the bass horn. the cabinet is also angular making the sides more sturdy and resistive to large vibrational modes. The speaker weighs about 65 pounds more.

The speaker has a knob on the top of the bass cabinet that allows the tweeter to move in and out. This allows the user some adjustability for variation in seated listening height and distance. I found it extremely useful in time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.

Of course the bass cabinet has the side flares that horn loads the bass down farther in frequency. This is occuring right in the critical crossover frequency range (170 Hz). When setting up the DuoGT I had to work to get the 100-200Hz frequency range to sound good. I managed and it did sound good at the show. That range for the Mezzo just happened. After roughly placing the left speaker (Mezzo) I quickly switched over to a track I use for the 100-200 Hz range expecting it to not sound good yet. But to my surprise it just worked right out of the gate.

At AXPONA we used the iTRON on Friday. For Saturday and Sunday we switched over to use the Phasemation MA-5000. This is a twin 211 SET with 45W of output. I really do love the iTRON. But I can also see why tube afficianatos love them. The Phasemation was really something.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
For those interested, I set up the Mezzo G3's at AXPONA and the DuoGT's at the South West AudioFest. The Mezzo's are the better speaker as they should be. Here are some observations:

The bass cabinet is much more rigid. It has thick aluminum plates on both the top and bottom as well as the thick aluminum "wings" for the bass horn. the cabinet is also angular making the sides more sturdy and resistive to large vibrational modes. The speaker weighs about 65 pounds more.

The speaker has a knob on the top of the bass cabinet that allows the tweeter to move in and out. This allows the user some adjustability for variation in seated listening height and distance. I found it extremely useful in time aligning the tweeter to the midrange.

Of course the bass cabinet has the side flares that horn loads the bass down farther in frequency. This is occuring right in the critical crossover frequency range (170 Hz). When setting up the DuoGT I had to work to get the 100-200Hz frequency range to sound good. I managed and it did sound good at the show. That range for the Mezzo just happened. After roughly placing the left speaker (Mezzo) I quickly switched over to a track I use for the 100-200 Hz range expecting it to not sound good yet. But to my surprise it just worked right out of the gate.

At AXPONA we used the iTRON on Friday. For Saturday and Sunday we switched over to use the Phasemation MA-5000. This is a twin 211 SET with 45W of output. I really do love the iTRON. But I can also see why tube afficianatos love them. The Phasemation was really something.
Thank you Todd!

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
FB_IMG_1713807231415.jpg
This is what the Mezzo looks like at the factory atm. Avantgarde invited listeners on 5 and 19 April for introduction of the new Mezzo (unfortunately I was not able to attend)
It looks insane! This is a special version with brass application.

From what I have heard, the Mezzo sounds very very good.

Reactions: Kozak170 and hogen

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Nice Gilding. It would be hard to get it down into the throat of the horn. If they say brass then this is what is called Dutch metal or imitation gold. It is mostly brass but with a little more zinc. They had similar horns last year on the DuoGT. Definitely an attention grabber.

Reactions: remdeck

Kozak170

Aug 8, 2019
we switched over to use the Phasemation MA-5000. This is a twin 211 SET with 45W of output. I really do love the iTRON. But I can also see why tube afficianatos love them. The Phasemation was really something.
In fact, they are 45 watts PSETs in Kondo's price range with tag of 120K, and I don't think they are the best choice of tube amps for AGs.

AFAIK, more pure SETs such as 45 or 2A3/300b are smarter choices for that efficiency and show more nuances with more agility and better overall musical performance which can be achieved at much lower prices, such as Triode Lab 45M or Viva Classico 300b in the range of 8K and 16K.

Reactions: Blue58

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
In fact, they are 45 watts PSETs in Kondo's price range with tag of 120K, and I don't think they are the best choice of tube amps for AGs.

AFAIK, more pure SETs such as 45 or 2A3/300b are smarter choices for that efficiency and show more nuances with more agility and better overall musical performance which can be achieved at much lower prices, such as Triode Lab 45M or Viva Classico 300b in the range of 8K and 16K.
I think they are $140K for the pair, but at that price point who's counting. I agree with you that 45W is probably a little extreme for AG's 107-109 dB efficiency. The distributor actuallly uses these amps to drive her Rockport Lyra's. We use the phasemation 300B amp on the Uno's. 10 Watts is more than enough. My point really was that I am not generally a tube person and the MA-5000's did sound quite nice. Supposedly the Berning amps sound really great on AG speakers. I will have to check that out and see how they sound.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I think they are $140K for the pair, but at that price point who's counting. I agree with you that 45W is probably a little extreme for AG's 107-109 dB efficiency. The distributor actuallly uses these amps to drive her Rockport Lyra's. We use the phasemation 300B amp on the Uno's. 10 Watts is more than enough. My point really was that I am not generally a tube person and the MA-5000's did sound quite nice. Supposedly the Berning amps sound really great on AG speakers. I will have to check that out and see how they sound.
I don’t think it is about ‘enough’ Watts but about the silence of an amp. Avantgarde may not manufacture amps anymore but when they did it were no small powered tube amps

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don’t think it is about ‘enough’ Watts but about the silence of an amp. Avantgarde may not manufacture amps anymore but when they did it were no small powered tube amps
The worst demos of Avantgarde Horns that I heard were alsmost always with AA's own amps :eek:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The worst demos of Avantgarde Horns that I heard were alsmost always with AA's own amps :eek:
Maybe.. but this has nothing to do with the ’enough Watts‘ remark. Or more precise: the enough vs too much discussion

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe.. but this has nothing to do with the ’enough Watts‘ remark. Or more precise: the enough vs too much discussion
Where did I say that? :rolleyes:

I just gave a statement about my many personal experiences ;)

I'm very cusious to listen to the G3 series to form my own opinion :D

Reactions: nirodha

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
To make Avantgarde succesful the electronics needs to be low noise and the speaker placement needs to be spot on.

This is true for all speakers but AG's will show you all the deficiencies in the system or setup.

I hope you get to hear them setup well.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing