Neumann U67 for recording at home

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There ARE NO Audiophile approved tube mic preamps. That's the thing... Audiophiles don't know about professional equipment. That's the gap that folks like us try to bridge.

That being said... for a tube mic pre, I'd go with a Manley Core (only 1 channel), TAB/Telefunken V72A (Vintage 1 channel as well), Mercury M76m - CSV (2-channel), Thermionic Culture Earlybird 4 or the Tube-Tech MEC 1A (1 channel only).

You can find these at either Vintage King Audio or Sweetwater.

Thank you, Bruce. I was looking at the Manley equipment. I saw the Manley Dual (2 preamps) and the Force (4 preamps).

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Dpa

Looking for outrageously good mics which don't look it: DPA 4061 or the likes.
They are not the quietest, for size reasons, but they are ultra clear..
Egidius

GuitarGreg81

Jun 18, 2016
I love the Neumann U67. What put me over the edge to actually pull the trigger and order one is this review.

As far as pre-amps go - I really like my Focusrite ISA One

Put the U67 with the ISA One and you'll be able to record just about anything beautifully. If you don't get a good sound out of those two, look for the problem somewhere else cause it ain't them.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Greg,

But that is a review of the U87. Is your point that the U87 is so close to the U67 that they are effectively substitutes?

Where did you find the U67 your purchased?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Or the very versatile (selectable polar patterns) and extremely low self-noise AKG C 414 XLS or XLII MATCHED PAIR. The XLS has a more linear frequency response. An excellent all-rounder.

Cheers, Kostas.

I can also recommend the AKG414 series. We use BULS version of the mic for our Atlanta Symphony musician projects.

GuitarGreg81

Jun 18, 2016
Dear Greg,

But that is a review of the U87. Is your point that the U87 is so close to the U67 that they are effectively substitutes?

Where did you find the U67 your purchased?

No, sorry. I had a brain fart and did mean the U87. I have never used a U67, but I would really like to. They're hard to find.

I still stand behind my recommendation for the U87 though. It's a great mic.

GuitarGreg81

Jun 18, 2016

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing