Neumann U67 for recording at home

Millennia was on my short list. :)

Go Stereo! Two omnis, the vocal mic, three pres, a mixer......... hehehehehe. I think we are both Neve guys Bruce. ;)

I was thinking minimalist stereo: two mics, no mixer.

Why do I need a separate preamp? I thought each U67 comes with its own preamp?

If I'm not mistaken the U67 comes with it's own power supply but not a preamp. If I'm right that means you won't need a preamp with phantom power but you'll still need a preamp.

Bruce? I've been out of pro audio for over a decade and a half. Help a brother out :)

For some reason I thought I could plug the microphones directly into mic inputs on the Studer.

No I don't think so. You will need the NU 67 Power Supply at a minimum. See the manual attached

I am sorry - that is what I meant. I know the U67 requires the power supply.

I meant that for some reason I thought no additional preamplification of the microphone signal was required before it goes into the tape deck.

I am sorry - that is what I meant. I know the U67 requires the power supply.

I meant that for some reason I thought no additional preamplification of the microphone signal was required before it goes into the tape deck.

You can run it direct...power supply into the Tape deck if it has mic inputs. Good Mic pre's give you more adjustments and more flexibility with the mic. It also boosts the signal to line level voltage. If the Studer deck has mic inputs...it already has a mic preamp built in. It just won't be as good as a pro stand alone unit. That is how I understand it. If the studer does not have a mic input...you will need an outboard mic pre to get the weak signal strength up to line level. You would then run the line outs of the preamp into the line in of the studer.

Bruce? I've been out of pro audio for over a decade and a half. Help a brother out :)

That is correct. Think of the mic as a cartridge. 98% of the mics available today need a mic pre. The only one's not needing one are the ones with either onboard pre or A/D converter.

So Ron, a mic pre is mandatory!! I know several prosumer decks that have a built-in mic pre, but I can't recall any Studers that have one.

As has already been mentioned, Rupert Neve is a towering figure in the recording industry. His boards are legendary and very expensive. Fortunately, he has a new company, Portico, that makes Neve designed mic preamps at affordable prices. One of their basic mic preamps might be all you need.

Thank you, Bruce and Marty!

I use the MILLENNIA HV-3C, predominantly with a matched pair of AKG C414 XLS. At the time of direct comparisons, I had found the Millennia cleaner and more linear than the Neve.

That is correct. Think of the mic as a cartridge. 98% of the mics available today need a mic pre. The only one's not needing one are the ones with either onboard pre or A/D converter.

So Ron, a mic pre is mandatory!! I know several prosumer decks that have a built-in mic pre, but I can't recall any Studers that have one.

Eeesh! So who makes an audiophile–approved, all-tube mic preamp?

For some reason I thought I could plug the microphones directly into mic inputs on the Studer.

Unlikely, you'll need to amplify to mic signal. The ins on the Studer are "line level".
Sort of like needing a phono stage to amplify the cart's signal before it can be used by a preamp's line level inputs.

Eeesh! So who makes an audiophile–approved, all-tube mic preamp?

There ARE NO Audiophile approved tube mic preamps. That's the thing... Audiophiles don't know about professional equipment. That's the gap that folks like us try to bridge.

That being said... for a tube mic pre, I'd go with a Manley Core (only 1 channel), TAB/Telefunken V72A (Vintage 1 channel as well), Mercury M76m - CSV (2-channel), Thermionic Culture Earlybird 4 or the Tube-Tech MEC 1A (1 channel only).

You can find these at either Vintage King Audio or Sweetwater.

Maybe it's just me but this discussion seems like it's starting from the wrong end of the horse.

I'd want to know some good reference books on simple basic recording techniques and how I could learn them before I dropped any serious money on equipment that I won't know how to use.

Any advice for me?

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but this discussion seems like it's starting from the wrong end of the horse.

I'd want to know some good reference books on simple basic recording techniques and how I could learn them before I dropped any serious money on equipment that I won't know how to use.

Any advice for me?

Have fun!
:D

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-university

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing