Need help with Melco S100 PF clock SJ dc4

b345t

May 10, 2020
So I'm not able to boot my S100 switch properly. Let me explain the story:

I purchased a Sean Jacobs DC4 Arc6 Dual Rail, Melco S100 Pink faun clock upgrade and 2 JSSG360 cables on the used market.

I received the units about 3 weeks ago. On the first day receiving them I tried connecting everything like I was advised to. First to connect the RJ45 coming from the modem into the switch, along with the RJ45 going to my Innuos Zen MK3 server. Then connect the 5v to power the clock, wait 30 seconds, then connect the 12v. I tried many configurations but none booted the switch properly and the light in the front stayed red.

On one of my attempts, I accidentally connected the wrong dc cables into the switch, the 12v in the 5v input and 5v to the 12v input.. I contacted Jord at Pink Faun and he told me to try some things which didn't result in anything and had to ship the switch to him. After checking it out at their premises, he informed me the fuses were blown; so he replaced them and told me everything is good now.

Yesterday I received the switch and have tried many times with pretty much all possible combinations I can think of to boot the switch properly; without any success. So the only thing left I can think of is possibly the 5v power is not working properly? The problem is I can't test that it is functioning; with the 12v I can see the Melco getting power and the back LEDs turn on. Any help would be great right now..

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
... @b345t it seems (to me) that the PF guys wouldn't have sent it back if it wasn't working correctly. Here is what I would do:
1) disconnect *all* cables from switch.
2) check the fuses. If not ok, replace fuse(s). If ok...
3) power up the 5v clock connection. Let it warm up for about 5 minutes.
4) power up the 12v main board connection.
5) ck power LED indicators, if applicable. Are they good to go?
6) if good, connect network cabling.

It would be helpful if you had even a cheap VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the voltage output of each rail of the power supply, 5 and 12.

Presumably, you sent PF the switch and not the switch *and* your power supply; if so the variable is power at your end. Or a bad connector.

I have not powered up my modded PF Buffalo switch in a long time (it's always on), but when I did, I recall waiting a bit for the clock before connecting the 12v leg. Good Luck!

Reactions: Armsan

b345t

May 10, 2020
... @b345t it seems (to me) that the PF guys wouldn't have sent it back if it wasn't working correctly. Here is what I would do:
1) disconnect *all* cables from switch.
2) check the fuses. If not ok, replace fuse(s). If ok...
3) power up the 5v clock connection. Let it warm up for about 5 minutes.
4) power up the 12v main board connection.
5) ck power LED indicators, if applicable. Are they good to go?
6) if good, connect network cabling.

It would be helpful if you had even a cheap VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) to check the voltage output of each rail of the power supply, 5 and 12.

Presumably, you sent PF the switch and not the switch *and* your power supply; if so the variable is power at your end. Or a bad connector.

I have not powered up my modded PF Buffalo switch in a long time (it's always on), but when I did, I recall waiting a bit for the clock before connecting the 12v leg. Good Luck!
Hi thanks for your reply. I don't really know how to check the fuses, they are inside and not the easy type you can just check. I waited 5 mins before connecting the 12v and still nothing. I'll go and get a cheap VOM tomorrow and see maybe its the power supply. I didn't send that over to Pink Faun because its a big and heavy unit..

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...oh I get why you wouldn't send the supply, for sure. That VOM would also allow you to check continuity on the connectors, which might end up being a test to try if you don't get the expected voltages output. I guess maybe check output at the supply itself if you find an issue with voltage at the fittings that connect to the switch. I think you already know this, sounds like to me, but I think you are left needing to know:
1) supply rails are good
2) cables are good/bad.

BTW: not sure exactly what connectors you have, but be careful not to short pins if space is tight.

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
...oh I get why you wouldn't send the supply, for sure. That VOM would also allow you to check continuity on the connectors, which might end up being a test to try if you don't get the expected voltages output. I guess maybe check output at the supply itself if you find an issue with voltage at the fittings that connect to the switch. I think you already know this, sounds like to me, but I think you are left needing to know:
1) supply rails are good
2) cables are good/bad.

BTW: not sure exactly what connectors you have, but be careful not to short pins if space is tight.
Yes tomorrow things will be clearer. Short pins how? By touching each other?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Did you got it to work?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing