Natural Sound

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Here is a video demonstrating the American Sound AS 2000 platter free spinning. I hand rotated the platter to about 40 RPM and waited for it to slow to 33.33 RPM and then started to record. The video shows the platter speed slowing and then eventually stopping.

This is the result of a very high mass platter on a very unique baring designed and executed to an exceptional standard. The result is superb speed control and silence.

Feel free to skip to the end. The video is long but one can see the effect of the changing light as the sun sets outside.

What impressed me the most was that you had the patience to stand there and record it for 30 minutes! :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
What impressed me the most was that you had the patience to stand there and record it for 30 minutes! :)
Yes Peter, that is 30 minutes without music ! ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That's a very impressive demonstration, Peter, of the AS-2000's amazing design and build quality!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Well? How's the Aleph sound?

Like the title says. It isthe first of six Pass amplifiers and the only one I kept. It has been in storage for 15 years but after three days of being on it’s starting to come into its own. I had never realized the potential of this wonderful little amplifier.

Headbanging and wild playing Black Sabbath, and delicate with nuance playing Bach cello and Schnittke. It lacks ultimate resolution and dynamics but is very natural sounding.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Like the title says. It isthe first of six Pass amplifiers and the only one I kept. It has been in storage for 15 years but after three days of being on it’s starting to come into its own. I had never realized the potential of this wonderful little amplifier.

Headbanging and wild playing Black Sabbath, and delicate with nuance playing Bach cello and Schnittke. It lacks ultimate resolution and dynamics but is very natural sounding.
I had a few Alephs as well and had the same results. Sometimes the aesthetic wins though. The whole Aleph line of amps and preamps are lovely.

Reactions: PeterA

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

SlapEcho

Dec 15, 2021
If you desire ultimate resolution and are a bit daring I recommend updating the input coupling and feedback capacitors on the Aleph. I love the simplicity behind the 2 stage circuit, but the use of electrolytic caps on the input and biasing completely held this series back. A completely different beast after the upgrade. Still has that Aleph sweetness and body but with resolution and lots of PRAT.

Attachments

• 20220126_183009.jpg
    20220126_183009.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220217_221031.jpg
    20220217_221031.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220126_164511.jpg
    20220126_164511.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 28

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I had Aleph 2's and they were awesome. Big regret selling them....
Same here--those superb little sweeties drove my SoundLabs oh so well--surprising the doubters

Agree Classic Amps--Kudos for the reminisce Peter --bought a joyous tear to my eye:)!

BruceD

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here is a video demonstrating the American Sound AS 2000 platter free spinning. I hand rotated the platter to about 40 RPM and waited for it to slow to 33.33 RPM and then started to record. The video shows the platter speed slowing and then eventually stopping.

This is the result of a very high mass platter on a very unique baring designed and executed to an exceptional standard. The result is superb speed control and silence.

Feel free to skip to the end. The video is long but one can see the effect of the changing light as the sun sets outside.

Horning SATI TT (also a high mass, non-suspended design) has a different view on this:

"Bearings design like air, magnetic and Teflon bearings was every time beaten by the old GROUNDED ball bearing design.

The Sati with massive GROUNDED bearing design went deeper in the bas, had much more body and all decays been easier to hear. All the Exotic bearings design just sounded THINNER, lighter and brighter.

The high- end industry has been seduced by the friction of the bearing itself instead of the bearings influence of the turntables overall sound. If you measure the Sati with a Statoscope has it more noise than air, magnetic or Teflon bearing, but it is a completely stupid measurement because why make a bearing which in the end has lower sound quality."

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Brad. That is interesting. Here is an impressive description. I would like to hear this table one day, With what they describe as an ungrounded bearing design, I wonder why then the mass, shape, and dimensions of the AS2000 base makes such an audible difference. These designs make for an interesting comparison. This sonic impression of the Sati is very much how I would describe what I am hearing from my table, though I have not compared it to many turntable so can not make such a declaration. Do you have a video of this table playing music?

“The reward was total control for every aspect od the sound spectrum. The first you will hear is that goes down further in the bas than any other turntable. Next you will hear ultimate dynamic and body to the sound, next comes its noticeably clear rendering of Decaying in the music. To hear the Sati will be an exploring of new details in the music but it will never loose its grip on the wholeness of the music it is presented.”

Audiophile Bill’s table:

1678881937432.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Horning SATI TT (also a high mass, non-suspended design) has a different view on this:

"Bearings design like air, magnetic and Teflon bearings was every time beaten by the old GROUNDED ball bearing design.

The Sati with massive GROUNDED bearing design went deeper in the bas, had much more body and all decays been easier to hear. All the Exotic bearings design just sounded THINNER, lighter and brighter.

The high- end industry has been seduced by the friction of the bearing itself instead of the bearings influence of the turntables overall sound. If you measure the Sati with a Statoscope has it more noise than air, magnetic or Teflon bearing, but it is a completely stupid measurement because why make a bearing which in the end has lower sound quality."

Bill has owned both Vyger and Horning Sati, there is no comparison the Vyger was far superior. I won't generalize on the air bearings as the Bergmann is quite the opposite of Vyger so there are other elements to the sound

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing