Natural Sound

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry, why is leading edge always being interpreted as the hard edge purposefully added for attention? The discussion started w.r.t Al's report on roll off. A few seem to be taking the view that opposite of roll off and deemphasis is the hard emphasized leading edge
Obviously a component can go unnaturally the other direction but it is generally less egregious.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
I think most engineers just don’t hear worth a damn. They design to specs...they hit them and say, “well done with that one”.
Then i am not one of those... i always try to improve my designs to get better audio results and measure only to check if what i hear is distortion and if so, it is within reasonable tolerances.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Then why are "tube rolling" if we do not hear any difference anyway?
If some can hear differences in cables etc.and claim that these sound better then others, then i can hear differences as well and can claim the same ;-)

Plus i do not even compare my stuff against commercial available equipment as i just can not do that if i have not had the chance to compare it. Funny though is that companies do that all the time (claiming to have the best out there not even having heard everything, and so do their followers).
So when i compare my stuff against something else i build i think i can make that statement LOL...

Last edited:

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
I don't know if this is a fair question... what counts as 'better audio results' ?
That is a fair question....
Let me answer this with some pictures and you do not even need to listen to the differences to understand ... LOL

I am just teasing , but i think i made my point...

Attachments

• 550x504.jpg
    550x504.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 21
  • mcintosh-mt2_2.jpg
    mcintosh-mt2_2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 21

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Then i am not one of those... i always try to improve my designs to get better audio results and measure only to check if what i hear is distortion and if so, it is within reasonable tolerances.

I think many designers do. Some of them are musicians, a number of them seem to be concert goers. I don't think the situation is that bad. You might still argue that at the end of the day some of them don't hear right, but that's a different story.

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Some of them even admid that they never listen to other gear then their own (Rob Whatts stated that in an interview). That is why his filter works but his dac doesn’t... lol

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't know if this is a fair question... what counts as 'better audio results' ?
Are we allowed to debate it is this thread? :oops:

In very subjective matters, ranking always needs statistical analysis and an exact definition of the population being sampled.

Reactions: Lampie519

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
My neanderthal sensibilities don't have a clue what you are trying to communicate wrt what counts as better audio results
Sometimes it just gets lost in translation ! The Dutch are known for their tulips, drugs and special sense of humor !;) 5EEDFA40-3FCE-43FE-B95D-8147FDAAB225.jpeg

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
It is in English, it is not even meant to be funny ....;)

Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, I can't think of anything that so simply asks not to give offence, to basically offend so many who read it Lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing