Natural Sound

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have a very good modern version conducted by Gergiev and performed by the Marinsky orchestra.

My response was more to @beaur's notion of hearing different systems like seeing different artists'work in different rooms and Ron not having heard of the analogy. But yes, it's a classic. Try Muti with the Philadelphia Orch, MFSL 1-520

Reactions: morricab

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Excellent...I have something like 12? piano, organ, different transcriptions and the Gergiev is one of them. My favorite of all is the Sokhiev by some margin. Precision and attack drive his sweepingly romantic and dramatic interpretation of this musical tapestry.

Separately for something more purely cerebral, I do also like the original piano version by Pletnev.

1623148583380.png

Attachments

• Mussorgsky - Sokhiev.jpg
    Mussorgsky - Sokhiev.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Excellent...I have something like 12? piano, organ, different transcriptions and the Gergiev is one of them. My favorite of all is the Sokhiev by some margin. Precision and attack drive his sweepingly romantic and dramatic interpretation of this musical tapestry. I do like the original piano version by Pletnev.

View attachment 78918

For piano. Also try Byron Janis.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just experienced a live solo piano rendition of Pictures, on Sunday. Tyler Hay pianist.
SO enjoyable, and a really unique experience for us, seated at less than 3m from him.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just experienced a live solo piano rendition of Pictures, on Sunday. Tyler Hay pianist.
SO enjoyable, and a really unique experience for us, seated at less than 3m from him.
makes a difference the distance...doesn't it. You can consider that impression against most piano recordings that are also made close up.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
I made some not so close... just enough to get some room acoustics with only 2 mics.
This was nearly 30 years ago...

Attachments

• IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
makes a difference the distance...doesn't it. You can consider that impression against most piano recordings that are also made close up.

That's why I like to sit close to performers too, it gives you a more realistic perspective (including transients) of what's on recordings. I once sat about 5 meters (15 feet) from the piano during a concert of Stockhausen piano pieces.

Some of our Boston audio group were at "house" concerts with chamber strings and piano where we also sat up close, and I have sat up close on a number of other occasions.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What was fascinating was the seeming contradiction of the piano at that range being "loud", but at no point was the effect overwhelming or overloading. And because his dynamic control was so precise, your brain and body stayed relaxed until he accelerated the thrill of the ride, but even now there was total mental ease as to what you were hearing.
Imho, only horns, and only the best horns get anywhere close to this. But when they do, it's the closest direct line to the performance. And I've only heard two sets of horns that fit the bill.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lampie, I've feel super privileged to have heard the Denman Exponential Horn. A cosmic mind trip doesnt come close to summing up the sheer out of body experience of this.
Imagine being a cynical world weary adult, and for 2 hours revisiting your wide eyed super happy totally optimistic 5 year old little boy inside again, the outside world not even existing.
And then the comedown as you leave the demo...

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Imagine being a cynical world weary adult, and for 2 hours revisiting your wide eyed super happy totally optimistic 5 year old little boy inside again, the outside world not even existing.
I am with you ..... LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The Denman played rainstorm from a single mono horn point source, 6 x 5' hornmouth, 30' long horn, custom 1.46W triode, field coil, in an untreated, knocked up conference-type space w room partitions for boundaries, maybe 1500 cub meters.
You could literally point to individual drops and touch them. I've never experienced ANYTHING like it.

Reactions: Lampie519

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Lampie, I've feel super privileged to have heard the Denman Exponential Horn. A cosmic mind trip doesnt come close to summing up the sheer out of body experience of this.
Do you have the space?? Get that...

Reactions: Lampie519

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That's why I like to sit close to performers too, it gives you a more realistic perspective (including transients) of what's on recordings. I once sat about 5 meters (15 feet) from the piano during a concert of Stockhausen piano pieces.

Some of our Boston audio group were at "house" concerts with chamber strings and piano where we also sat up close, and I have sat up close on a number of other occasions.
Mid or rear of the hall live will of course allow you to understand the live experience but it is less helpful in evaluating the "realness" of most recordings, which are not recorded from that distant perspective (assuming they are even not multi miked and mixed by a "tonmeister"...like DG does most of the time), then don't make the mental translation so easy. Up close and personal fits well with a lot of recorded classical and you can evaluate realism more easily, IMO. Also, smaller works up close are a LOT easier for a stereo system to replicate than a huge Shoshtakovic symphony, for example, which is literally impossible to get right for any system I have ever heard.

I once heard the 12th symphony at Tonhalle Zurich and sat near the back...it was still so powerful my ears were pulsating...I can't even imagine the sonic torture in the front rows...

Reactions: Al M.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Denman played rainstorm from a single mono horn point source, 6 x 5' hornmouth, 30' long horn, custom 1.46W triode, field coil, in an untreated, knocked up conference-type space w room partitions for boundaries, maybe 1500 cub meters.
You could literally point to individual drops and touch them. I've never experienced ANYTHING like it.
Yeah, ok...get that!

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
The Denman played rainstorm from a single mono horn point source, 6 x 5' hornmouth, 30' long horn,
I could ask my neighbors if they wouldn't mind if i make use of their gardens....

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sir Denman got around this by routing the horn thru his chimney, out through the stack onto the roof to curl fwds as maybe the worlds first PA spkr, maybe nearly a century ago, treating the London masses to BBC Light Music and Radio 4 classical.
They really don't make eccentrics like they used to Lol.

Reactions: Bobvin

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
... your brain and body stayed relaxed until he accelerated the thrill of the ride, but even now there was total mental ease as to what you were hearing.
Perfect! This is the cornerstone of “natural sound” how close you get to this state is about different levels of natural!

Volume is also important for the natural experience but is space dependent. You can listen at the same volume you heard at the concert if the system is up to it and the room big enough to handle it.

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have you heard Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition ?

Yes, I love that piece, and I forgot about its analogy. Good point -- but I still like very much beaur's elaboration. I like Chesky's The Power of the Orchestra.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing