Natural Sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
MadFloyd and Al M. came over today to hear my new system. We had a nice dinner outside overlooking the ocean. It was almost as if things are starting to return to normal. Ian had heard the system before, but not with my new vintage Technics MM cartridge. Al heard it for the first time and wants to come back to hear it with the vdH Colibri Grand Cru. Al sent over a list of requested LPs ahead of time. Ian brought some of his own.

Like old times but with a new system:

IMG_1436.JPG

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I did try the LP2.1 and LL1.1 Sig with my Pass amps on the Q3. It was good, but the M1.1 was better. An audio buddy who is also a drummer came to hear my system and we did that specific comparison. It was clear to both of us that the full Lamm chain was superior. It was more open, clean, and dynamic with better tone. In a word, more natural.

It is fair to say the Boston group has little experience with Lamm. That is now going to change. Ian and Al are coming over later today for music and dinner. Al requested seven specific LPs. It promises to be an interesting evening.

Thanks for the follow-up, Peter. I'll speculate that your reaction to a full Lamm chain at David's - which I assume was your first time hearing such - was not unlike your drummer friend's reaction listening at your house. Drawing on my own experience, that reaction forms easily and doesn't require extensive analysis when there are alternatives on hand to draw a contrast. Some where I described initial reaction as akin to slipping on a comfortable pair of jeans - they feel just right and you go on about your day without them drawing attention to themselves.

It will be interesting to hear from Al and Ian if they care to write about what they heard - I saw them sitting on your couch looking in a state of relaxed anticipation. You guys are fortunate to have a mutual friendship around a common hobby and love of music.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Vlad said that there is only one difference between the ML2 and ML2.1, better quality binding posts. He said it sounds the same. The ML2.2 was a new design based on findings from the ML3. He told me this at a CES show a few years ago.

to quote from post #121 in this thread...

"The ML2 came out in 1999.

The ML2.1 update (circa 2004) included a modified custom built transformer (probably Plitron), a higher quality PVC board, and an upgraded power transformer to accommodate 230V" ... and better quality binding posts.

"A perhaps more significant change came to the ML2.2 version (2012). It too included a new PVC board, a new power transformer and 3 additional chokes in the power supply. The biggest change was modification to use the input stage from Lamm's top-of-the-line ML3 Signature."

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Would you really expect a reviewer to say the newer version is not the best?

Careful... :)

From Soundstage to TAB Marc M has reviewed all 3 iterations of the ML2. He has more experience with Lamm gear than any other reviewer. I worked with him for over ten years and know he describes what he hears and doesn't make stuff up.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Another way to look at it is your system seems to have evolved as part of the same organism whereas many others are a bit Frankenstein and you can feel the tension between the parts that just don't go well together.

Ah, new terminology!

Frankensystem - a system where all the parts fit to play music, but you know something is not right.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
MadFloyd and Al M. came over today to hear my new system. We had a nice dinner outside overlooking the ocean. It was almost as if things are starting to return to normal. Ian had heard the system before, but not with my new vintage Technics MM cartridge. Al heard it for the first time and wants to come back to hear it with the vdH Colibri Grand Cru. Al sent over a list of requested LPs ahead of time. Ian brought some of his own.

Like old times but with a new system:

View attachment 77678

Have they been converted

Reactions: Folsom

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Have they been converted

Conversion is deeply personal and should matter only to those being converted.

My friends and I are all walking through the woods on our own paths converging occasionally to share a meal, listen to music, and laugh.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I like the scheherazade video the most .
Lamm gear sounds good / neutral id say a very good preamplifier .
Where is the reaction of Al and Ian ? :)

Reactions: MrC.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. An audiophile seeks to reproduce the sound of a live musical performance, typically in a room with good acoustics. It is widely agreed that reaching this goal is very difficult and that even the best-regarded recording and playback systems rarely, if ever, achieve it.Wikipedia

The problem your having has nothing to do with the equipment. All digital audio and all analog audio has linked phase rotation between the stereo channels. This creates audio on the horizontal plain. converting audio to independent phase rotation between the stereo channels creates audio on both the horizontal plain and vertical plain. this process removes the reference points of the speakers and the audio becomes transparent and now the audio surrounds you and your alpha brain waves light up like a Christmas tree and the band is playing live all around you.
I have zero clue what you’re attempting to say here.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Are pharmaceutical enhancements involved?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I would be interested in an explanation of that 2nd paragraph, but stop now and start a new thread! ;)

Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I would be interested in an explanation of that 2nd paragraph, but stop now and start a new thread! ;)
Oh he did already ! o_O

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Peter. ddk virus not only got into your lungs but to your heart now.
I am glad to hear you are very happy with the new sound presentation.

kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is good to hear from you Tang. Yes I am quite infected by the natural sound of this system.
It would be interesting if you make it easy putting up the Clara White video and Scheherazade video of your previous system vs current system for us to identify differences.

kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: christoph

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I have not posted videos of the final iteration of the former system when I had the Lamm M1.1 hybrid amps driving the Magico Q3 speakers. Those speakers never sounded that good before the full Lamm chain and I suspect I could have happily lived with that system, but I really wanted to try the SET/corner horn combination

This would make it appear there are videos he chose not to upload of the final Magico iteration.

All of his public uploads can be viewed here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing