Natural Sound

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We are slowly returning my listening room into a more welcoming living room for my family and guests. The latest addition is a mahogany Butler's Tray table in front of the sofa. I am now working on better lighting and looking for two heavy brass pharmacy lamps for each side of the sofa and a task light for the audio rack.

In a room such as mine, where space is limited, the corner horns are proving to be an ideal solution. The system is in the background, but the sound and music are front and center when listening. This is an early example of a "lifestyle" system.

View attachment 80403

View attachment 80404

Great "living" room. Reading lamps and books would add charisma. The kind of room I want to spend everyday in. Good living. Peter.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang or someone remarked the recording is flat in comparison. I asked for the Reiner reissue because everyone has access to it. The second movement goes single instrument by single instrument before moving from quiet to loud multi instrument in a short time making it ideal for auditions.
I agree. This album is great for evaluating a sound system. Great performance. If you listen to tape of this performance the high in rings and bell and cymbals is so so believable. The dimension of the orchestra is better imo than other Scheherazade. Peter's sound has quite different perspective or presentation from mine. His seems quite a bit more up front than mine. My room has a sound signature. His room also has a sound signature of his own.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree. This album is great for evaluating a sound system. Great performance. If you listen to tape of this performance the high in rings and bell and cymbals is so so believable. The dimension of the orchestra is better imo than other Scheherazade. Peter's sound has quite different perspective or presentation from mine. His seems quite a bit more up front than mine. My room has a sound signature. His room also has a sound signature of his own.

Likely true. I would add that these corner horns seem to project the sound out in front of them whereas most other speakers I have heard present the music around and behind them. The perspective and presentation are quite different. Having said that, I do hear depth further back in the stage than I did with my old speakers, way behind the front wall when the recording captures perspective. The character of the venue is also more distinct between recordings with this new system because it seems more transparent and is higher in resolution.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Peter, the problem was a bad match between the high output of the Master Sig and your Lamm Phono Stage, overdriving it. The lower output of your modified cartridge is a better match. Tang uses a different phono stage with excellent result. :)

Dear Milan, would you please explain "overdriving" for me. I'm not familiar with the notion with a cartridge.

Fwiw, when I had the LP2.1 in house, I used the 40db gain MM input with a high output Master Sig (1.1mv). Going through the Jensen step-up transformers (60db) constricted attenuation.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dear Milan, would you please explain "overdriving" for me. I'm not familiar with the notion with a cartridge.

Fwiw, when I had the LP2.1 in house, I used the 40db gain MM input with a high output Master Sig (1.1mv). Going through the Jensen step-up transformers (60db) constricted attenuation.
To much output or bad match of impedance for the built in step-up transformer. Did Peter try it into the MM input ? I would have the same problem with a high output VDH and my Io Eclipse. I wish my Io had a MM option, the 0,1 mv output of my Benz Ebony TR cartridge is to low, and the 1/40 output of my step-up is to high :rolleyes: I run my second arm into the built in excellent MM input of my SS preamp, it is good, but not Io good.:)

Reactions: tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
To much output or bad match of impedance for the built in step-up transformer. Did Peter try it into the MM input ? I would have the same problem with a high output VDH and my Io Eclipse. I wish my Io had a MM option, the 0,1 mv output of my Benz Ebony TR cartridge is to low, and the 1/40 output of my step-up is to high :rolleyes: I run my second arm into the built in excellent MM input of my SS preamp, it is good, but not Io good.:)

Hi Milan, I never tried the high output GC in the MM input. I asked David about it and he suggested simply sending the cartridge back to vdH. AJ vdH was happy to modify it and said that the few windings and smaller magnet would actually increase resolution anyway, so it was a win/win. His only concern was noise level as he is not familiar with the Lamm LP2.1. I assured him that it has very low noise and it has not been an issue.

I have the Technics MM cartridge for that input anyway, but David brought an SUT for a second MC cartridge in the MM input which I am now using with Jeffrey_T's Ortofon SPU.

Reactions: Lagonda

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Peter's room is very shallow specially compared to your space Tang, most of that perspective is due to the room and his listening position from the front wall.

david

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
We are slowly returning my listening room into a more welcoming living room for my family and guests. The latest addition is a mahogany Butler's Tray table in front of the sofa. I am now working on better lighting and looking for two heavy brass pharmacy lamps for each side of the sofa and a task light for the audio rack.

In a room such as mine, where space is limited, the corner horns are proving to be an ideal solution. The system is in the background, but the sound and music are front and center when listening. This is an early example of a "lifestyle" system.

View attachment 80403

View attachment 80404
Peter,
I'm happy for you to find nirvana. Your living/listening room looks like a place I'd like to spend many hours!

As an aside you've been a bit of an inspiration to me as I have new speakers and amps incoming. A much different path than yours, but one which I think will please me for many years.

Best,
Evan

Reactions: PeterA

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Very nice setting. I personally do not like to see audio gears (trophies?) while listening to music, so I have as much equipment moved to the side away from sight as possible. You take this to new level with the speakers themselves tucked away in corners - bravo :cool:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ah hell Peter, now it looks like a place for serious folks to discuss matters of state! Just needs some glasses of scotch or bourbon and dense cigar smoke. ;-)

Honestly, kudos. What a transformation on so many levels. Good on you.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ah hell Peter, now it looks like a place for serious folks to discuss matters of state! Just needs some glasses of scotch or bourbon and dense cigar smoke. ;-)

Honestly, kudos. What a transformation on so many levels. Good on you.

Thank you Bob. Scotch is for the winter when I light the fire. I gave up cigars a while ago. I always enjoyed the sanctuary of a club room.

I don’t have your view through that window nor the wine cellar or mini bar. I sit and enjoy listening to the past. Your guests will visit you and dream of their futures.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How is the SPU sounding in your system Peter ? More forgiving on some records ? A little on the warm side ? :)

Hello Milan,

You are spot on. It is a bit more forgiving and it is a bit warmer sounding. It is also fuller and a bit more romantic. It is very nice on stings. The vdH is more resolving and more down the middle, which is great on classical. I like the A85 on vocals, some jazz, especially with hot horns, and strings. I am enjoying the different flavor but generally prefer the unvarnished truth of the vdH.

I do not know what will end up on the back arm. I may consider a mono cartridge as I have some old mono classical LPs from my grandfather, but I have not cleaned and played them yet. We will see. I really appreciate Jeff let me live with his cartridge for a while.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hello Milan,

You are spot on. It is a bit more forgiving and it is a bit warmer sounding. It is also fuller and a bit more romantic. It is very nice on stings. The vdH is more resolving and more down the middle, which is great on classical. I like the A85 on vocals, some jazz, especially with hot horns, and strings. I am enjoying the different flavor but generally prefer the unvarnished truth of the vdH.

I do not know what will end up on the back arm. I may consider a mono cartridge as I have some old mono classical LPs from my grandfather, but I have not cleaned and played them yet. We will see. I really appreciate Jeff let me live with his cartridge for a while.
I do like having a forgiving cartridge on my second arm, i play a fair share of 70's pop and rock records like early ABBA, Boney M and Dr. Hook when i am in the nostalgic mood, analog recordings, but in the need of a little prettying up !:rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do like having a forgiving cartridge on my second arm, i play a fair share of 70's pop and rock records like early ABBA, Boney M and Dr. Hook when i am in the nostalgic mood, analog recordings, but in the need of a little prettying up !:rolleyes:
You are sugar Daddy cool

Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You are sugar Daddy cool
I was good friends with Marty Cintron the lead singer of No Mercy, one of the groups invented by German producer Frank Farian. He also invented Boney M. Milli Vanilli and many more. Milli Vanilli had to give back the Grammy they received, because of lip syncing. :rolleyes: Farian was quite a character and often in Miami where he owned a house. I took him for a spin in my Lamborghini after dinner once. He was the original Daddy Cool ! :)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course, the REALLY interesting stuff happens after that smiley...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The Vdh plays Bonnie M like shit. :confused:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing