Nagra HD DAC X

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
J, afraid ever since the Nagra tt details/photos were released, I've been torturing myself over Nagra gear, and their heritage products, on their website. It takes a lot to excite me about hifi gear aesthetically, but Nagra absolutely press all the right buttons.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
J, afraid ever since the Nagra tt details/photos were released, I've been torturing myself over Nagra gear, and their heritage products, on their website. It takes a lot to excite me about hifi gear aesthetically, but Nagra absolutely press all the right buttons.
The Nagra gear is just a pleasure to use and to listen to. Open it up and see the quality. Hope you get to hear it in your system one day.

Reactions: Zeotrope

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm looking at 6 numbers on my lottery slip Lol.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I visited the showroom of Forthwise Ltd which is the Nagra dealer in Hong Kong yesterday.
The purpose was to check out the Nagra Reference Anniversary Turntable.
#96 of
IMG_20220116_063150.jpg

It so happened that the new turntable was still being fine-tuned and not ready for a serious audition yet.

I therefore turned my attention to the Nagra HD DAC X in the same room instead.

IMG_20220116_063521.jpg

It was paired with the Nagra CDP acting as the transport. The CDP/CDT have just been discontinued in 2021. Will there be a new Classic Series or HD Series transport coming?

IMG_20220116_063556.jpg

The performance of the HD DAC X was outstanding, much better than the previous HD DAC version.
The music via it was analog-like, with natural timbre and flow.
It gave an unmistakeable Swiss favour of elegance and finesse.

IMHO and my personal taste, I would like to rate this Nagra HD DAC X and CH Precision C1.1+X1 higher than the Goldmund Mimesis 20H NextGen DAC, because naturalness is my priority.
:cool:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I visited the showroom of Forthwise Ltd which is the Nagra dealer in Hong Kong yesterday.
#96 of
View attachment 88126

It so happened that the new turntable was still being fine-tuned and not ready for a serious audition yet.

View attachment 88127

It was paired with the Nagra CDP acting as the transport. The CDP/CDT have just been discontinued in 2021. Will there be a new Classic Series or HD Series transport coming?

View attachment 88128

The performance of the HD DAC X was outstanding, much better than the previous HD DAC version.

IMHO and my personal taste, I would like to rate this Nagra HD DAC X and CH Precision C1.1+X1 higher than the Goldmund Mimesis 20H NextGen DAC, because naturalness is my priority.
Come on, what we really want to know is how you rate it against the Wadax?;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Zeotrope

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The obvious enemy of Nagra HD DAC X should be Lampizator Horizon.
Let's see/listen!

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Come on, what we really want to know is how you rate it against the Wadax?;)
Nagra always prices their products very high if Nagra believes they are the best. So if they price their DAC at $60k, you should not compare it with Wadax or Msb.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Nagra always prices their products very high if Nagra believes they are the best. So if they price their DAC at $60k, you should not compare it with Wadax or Msb.
Why not...Rhetorical question. Nothing wrong with putting a lower priced DAC against a higher priced DAC. Especially with the super high end stuff. I am sure that Nagra with the right set up, against an MSB in the right set up will please all sorts of ears in different ways.

For me personally, I'd take a reference over the Nagra, but thats me. I love MSB. But I am not foolish enough to think that Nagra isn't totally fricken awesome and that I wouldn't enjoy the hell out of it as well.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
Why not...Rhetorical question. Nothing wrong with putting a lower priced DAC against a higher priced DAC. Especially with the super high end stuff. I am sure that Nagra with the right set up, against an MSB in the right set up will please all sorts of ears in different ways.

For me personally, I'd take a reference over the Nagra, but thats me. I love MSB. But I am not foolish enough to think that Nagra isn't totally fricken awesome and that I wouldn't enjoy the hell out of it as well.
Ok. If you think Nagra is better than Msb, it's up to you. The consumers have more choices. Nagra understands the level of their DAC. That is the reason for their price $60k. If not, it must be more $150k. That is what I think.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

I agree. Who cares what the MSRP is? Pitting the top model of any brand against each other is worthwhile imo. To only be willing to compare dacs at the same price point is ridiculous considering the price has zero bearing on the performance (except perhaps within the same brand`s own hierarchy).

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Ok. If you think Nagra is better than Msb, it's up to you. The consumers have more choices. Nagra understands the level of their DAC. That is the reason for their price $60k. If not, it must be more $150k. That is what I think.

I didn't say it was better than MSB...I am saying I do not measure the sound quality of any DAC (or any other component) based on what it costs. I measure hifi gear with my ears, which is how I settled on my mish-mash of components, which together sounds incredible. I believe its all about system synergy; that Nagra DAC in the right set up might be amazing with careful matching..Local friend of mine has $400k system with Wadax, Stenheim and CH Precision and to my (unacclimated) ear it sounded flabby (probably the Stenheims) and overall wasn't impressive at all. You can't buy your way out of bad sound, or into good sound, you need to system match to your own taste.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
I didn't say it was better than MSB...I am saying I do not measure the sound quality of any DAC (or any other component) based on what it costs. I measure hifi gear with my ears, which is how I settled on my mish-mash of components, which together sounds incredible. I believe its all about system synergy; that Nagra DAC in the right set up might be amazing with careful matching..Local friend of mine has $400k system with Wadax, Stenheim and CH Precision and to my (unacclimated) ear it sounded flabby (probably the Stenheims) and overall wasn't impressive at all. You can't buy your way out of bad sound, or into good sound, you need to system match to your own taste.
Ok bro. That's your feeling. Let the music tell the story.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
  • Haha
Reactions: skids929

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
#96 of
View attachment 88126

View attachment 88127

View attachment 88128

You can‘t really judge a DAC based solely on redbook CDs. It’s like putting 87 Octane in a supercar and measuring lap times.
Connect the Taiko Extreme to a DAC and then decide how it compares to other DACs!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing