My Tube Collection, Welcome to share yours

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
I know collecting is fun, but do you have any idea of the price for one square-getter these days? I think I paid $300 for a true NOS about 3 years ago (Vintage Tube Services).
Yes, they are getting expensive now especially the 1600 version. Don't think you can get a quad for $300 now :(

Reactions: plasmod3

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Yes, they've been at it for a few years now. I admire their ambition.
They were selling "NOS" tubes and branding them as Brimar, I see they've stopped due to the current worldwide mess.
https://brimaruk.com/
I don't think so. For the price of £28.25, this may be a chinese or russian GZ34, but it wouldn't make sense to sell NOS tubes, rebrand them and sell them for a lower price compared to what they are worth as true NOS. A NOS Mullard, for example, will sell far above 100 GBP. So this Brimar GZ34 has to be something of an el cheapo electron tube.
Brimar-GZ34-Pic.png

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Do we have any experts on Brimar novals here? I’m trying to get some insights into how their different model ranges (regular v industrial 13dx v Trustworthy 60xx ) and generations compare sonically on the ‘at‘ and ‘au’ types.
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I have long been a big fan of the White Brimar 6060 T. The general consensus is that the Yellow version is the better tube, but I am not convinced - certainly not in my system. To me, the Yellow sounds very smooth, too smooth for my taste. I was recently comparing 12AT7's in my power amps (working with Svetlana EL34s and fed from Mullard M8137's in the preamp). The tubes that came a close second to the white 6060s were Philips 12AT7WA's. I actually put the yellow 6060's behind the Philips. Where the 6060 really scores for me, compared to others, is the soundstage. I haven't heard anything that re-crates the same overall "picture", in my set up. I also compared std. Brimar 12AT7's, good tubes, but sound a little coarse and certainly less three-dimensional. There were some RFT ECC81's too, very precise, but these sounded rather cold (sterile) and not as three dimensional, again in my set up and to my ears.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Having posted above, I thought I should post my collection of tubes (as this is what the thread is about!). I've gathered these over a period of time and solely for the purpose of ensuring I had sufficient quantities of my preferred tubes - I think I may have got carried away with some :confused: (white Brimar 6060 and winged C Svetlana EL34).

Attachments

• Tube Stash 007.JPG
    Tube Stash 007.JPG
    713.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Tube Stash 002.JPG
    Tube Stash 002.JPG
    740.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Tube Stash 010.JPG
    Tube Stash 010.JPG
    758.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Tube Stash 006.JPG
    Tube Stash 006.JPG
    741.4 KB · Views: 14

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@new2Krell - thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’m going to be doing some rolling later this week - am presently using philips 5965 but also have gec a2900 / brimar 6060 yellow / valvo 6201 in my stash. The following tubes below just arrived today and a friend will be bringing around some further exotica.

B385DE30-2259-4018-A06A-F40E25A1D29C.jpeg

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
Do we have any experts on Brimar novals here? I’m trying to get some insights into how their different model ranges (regular v industrial 13dx v Trustworthy 60xx ) and generations compare sonically on the ‘at‘ and ‘au’ types.
Not sure if I posted this before.
I use a Brimar 13d5 in my preamp. I prefer them over 12AU7 and CV variants. More detail, neutral/warm, and a deeper image. However, it's hard to find quiet tubes.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Sounds like you are going to have an interesting week SA. I don't have much in the way of exotica in my collection, just a few well regarded tubes. Always interesting to hear how alternatives sound. I do also think it comes down to the combination - having the right, or wrong, combination can impact how well another tube performs / sounds down the line.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Earliest Brimar 12AT7 Made in 1951 and 1952 View attachment 100978
I can see I might learn a thing or two here! Thanks for posting the pics Adrian. The most obvious difference between those and the few I have are the getters (square), mine are all round. The plates look pretty much the same, other than mine look a bit darker (could just have been light when the picture was taken). I am sure I could probably find some chart on the net somewhere, to decipher my codes, but being as I am here, I have 1J3, 4K3 and 2I0, all have 1565 after the slash (where still visible). Any idea when and where these would have been made?

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
I can see I might learn a thing or two here! Thanks for posting the pics Adrian. The most obvious difference between those and the few I have are the getters (square), mine are all round. The plates look pretty much the same, other than mine look a bit darker (could just have been light when the picture was taken). I am sure I could probably find some chart on the net somewhere, to decipher my codes, but being as I am here, I have 1J3, 4K3 and 2I0, all have 1565 after the slash (where still visible). Any idea when and where these would have been made?
Your's are round getter black plate two hole version. The earliest version have grey plate single hole horseshoe getter,the second version start with square getter grey plate single hole.Third version with black plate single hole square getter. Forth version with black plate two holes square getter.1J3 indicated made in 1963 October First week. IMG_20221130_105647 (2).jpg

Reactions: Lowrider75

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Thanks Adrian. Surpised how many variations there have been on this one tube! Also beginning to understand why some people are into collecting. Collecting is not something for me. Yes, try different tubes by all means (so you can be happy you have a sound that satisfies), but once you have discovered that, I say listen to and enjoy the music. That's my approach at least, but I appreciate everyone is different and it's great there are so many different facets to enjoy this great hobby. You have an incredible collection, by the way! :)

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
Thanks Adrian. Surpised how many variations there have been on this one tube! Also beginning to understand why some people are into collecting. Collecting is not something for me. Yes, try different tubes by all means (so you can be happy you have a sound that satisfies), but once you have discovered that, I say listen to and enjoy the music. That's my approach at least, but I appreciate everyone is different and it's great there are so many different facets to enjoy this great hobby. You have an incredible collection, by the way! :)
Thank you and you are very welcome. Brimar's latest 12AT7 black plate three mica I5xhZSG.jpg

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
I would be interested in trying some of those :) I was taking a close look for differences between my 6060 Whte and Yellow T's. To be honest I couldn't see very much other than the "crimping hole" was slightly longer and narrower on the whites and the box edge on the yellow T's seemed to be more even (perfect) along the edge, ie. both sheets of metal ended at the same place. On the whites, the two sheets didn't appear to be quite so well aligned (no doubt cheaper!) There is no telling, of course, what's going on inside out of view either. The thing is, it all comes down to the sound and there I am more than happy with the whites (less so the yellows).
A question, what is the reason of the "engraved" writing on the plates (all mine have it too) - is it the "artist" who created it simply leaving his (or her) mark, or something more meaningful?

Reactions: adrian cheng

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Well following my earlier post, further reinforcements arrived from my friend (top half of photo) and I dug out some more of my stash in the lower half. Unfortunately never was the adage about man planning and God laughing more true as the protection circuit of my Riviera amp was getting very upset with my attempts at tube rolling. What I can say though is that the A2900 was lacklustre but the Tilburg Tungsram ecc81 are mighty impressive, cold from their 66 year slumber. Appreciably better than the well used Philips pw D foil 5965, so in effect a similar result to my e80cc comparisons. Much more ‘work’ still to do but will let these settle first.

327F1B15-C22B-4B64-8609-8D86DE7286EB.jpeg

Last edited:

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
I would be interested in trying some of those :) I was taking a close look for differences between my 6060 Whte and Yellow T's. To be honest I couldn't see very much other than the "crimping hole" was slightly longer and narrower on the whites and the box edge on the yellow T's seemed to be more even (perfect) along the edge, ie. both sheets of metal ended at the same place. On the whites, the two sheets didn't appear to be quite so well aligned (no doubt cheaper!) There is no telling, of course, what's going on inside out of view either. The thing is, it all comes down to the sound and there I am more than happy with the whites (less so the yellows).
A question, what is the reason of the "engraved" writing on the plates (all mine have it too) - is it the "artist" who created it simply leaving his (or her) mark, or something more meaningful?
I think they are only manufacture marks,doesn't meaning anything :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Adrian

forgive me if this has already been asked and answered. I’m interested to know how many tubes you have in this magnificent collection. And finally do you know what percent are New and what percent are NOS

Reactions: adrian cheng

adrian cheng

Mar 2, 2022
UK
Hi Adrian

forgive me if this has already been asked and answered. I’m interested to know how many tubes you have in this magnificent collection. And finally do you know what percent are New and what percent are NOS
Hi Steve, yes, it has been asked and answer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing