My (SMT) room

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Diamond cantilever of Kuzma CAR 60.

3598639C-FF25-431A-8F20-0B4C88D66EDF.jpeg 6BA82054-D1C6-48CE-991B-4220EFFF8256.jpeg 4EDE8F91-4892-4FBB-8E8F-46D0F894E217.jpeg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Diamond cantilevers seem to be making their way into more brands’ offerings. How long have you had yours and what did you have before, and what is your impression?

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
My previous cartridge was Benz LP-S which I bought in 2012, so a year ago I was faced with the decision to send it on retipping or to buy a new one. I was very satisfied with Benz but wanted something even better. Decided for the CAR 60 because I heard it in a friend’s system which I know very well, also it’s a great match for my 4Point 14. We also tried CAR 50 which is an excellent cartridge but CAR 60 is on another level. Hard to say if it’s only the diamond cantilever that makes the difference. Technical data for both are identical only the cantilever is different (CAR 50 has a boron cantilever). Both carts also look identical but the CAR 60 added something special to the reproduction. This was not subtle but a profound improvement in realism. It has that rare tape like continuity and fluidity with “magical” (sorry for using this word but cannot find a more appropriate one) feeling of reality and richer harmonic structure. It’s considerably better in retrieving details in playing techniques that add to the sensation of a live event. These two cartridges have the same basic “character” but the 60 is more refined, defined and resolving and more extended on both sides. To me it is easily worth the extra money.

CAR 60 can not be compared to the Benz LP S. It’s on a different level. If I had to do an analogy, the difference is like between the Zanden 1200 Mk3 and Signature. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zanden-1200-signature.30449/page-3#post-695144. But if you like or love Benz, you will be extremely satisfied with the CAR 60 (and CAR 50) which means, you won’t be faced with a totally different character.

789140A3-05AC-48ED-AB6B-459993A743C6.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
How many hours do you think you have played your 8 year old cartridge ?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I would say between 2.400 and 2.800 hours max.

Reactions: Lagonda

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Here’s a few photos of CAR 60 unpacking.

0A36587D-C54D-4E19-BAB9-433367034931.jpeg
06700072-5900-4DF6-B92C-5CDFDE756646.jpeg
47FF1272-9930-4790-9DF5-4469F92A6854.jpeg
E7795B85-8EFD-49BE-98ED-E783B15D0236.jpeg
4CF16AD9-EC80-419B-99D2-14624C62E331.jpeg
D54DF01E-CF3B-4BF3-9BF4-56122BEDBEED.jpeg
586D0F60-D921-4F7C-8118-EE83DA29F9D8.jpeg
0D49E178-8F8F-40FD-8CB8-4A7DED332586.jpeg
ACAC5CB9-D38F-4DA2-A4C5-ED98755E452B.jpeg
8BDD3766-6C95-48B4-BE85-06AA57E94BE3.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I would say between 2.400 and 2.800 hours max.
That is a lot of hours, something to consider in a direct comparison with your new cartridge, i have maybe 1500 hours on my LPS, and it does not have the high frequency sparkle it had when new.

Reactions: Bobvin

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I consider 6-7h hours/week as normal use but after another thought I would say my regular listening sessions last closer to 5-6 hours/week. Whatever, I had two LP S in my system, heard at least 3-4 samples in others systems and I know exactly how it sounds (new and old) and although you’re right re. high frequency sparkle, this is irrelevant in the context of my comparisons.

Reactions: Bobvin and Lagonda

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Even the CAR50 has a sapphire cantilever (nor boron, as mentioned), otherwise rally the same technic data.

Do you know the manufacturer of the bigger Kuzma CAR cartridges? Former Kuzma cartridges were made at Shelter, ZYX, and I am not sure, some of them at Benz Micro.

Reactions: Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Yes, you’re right Birdwatcher. CAR 50 has a sapphire cantilever. I apologize for my mistake. As I wrote somewhere else, I know only that CAR cartridges are made in Japan but not at Shelter or ZYX.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hard to say if it’s only the diamond cantilever that makes the difference. Technical data for both are identical only the cantilever is different (CAR 50 has a boron cantilever). Both carts also look identical but the CAR 60 added something special to the reproduction. This was not subtle but a profound improvement in realism. It has that rare tape like continuity and fluidity with “magical” (sorry for using this word but cannot find a more appropriate one) feeling of reality and richer harmonic structure. It’s considerably better in retrieving details in playing techniques that add to the sensation of a live event. These two cartridges have the same basic “character” but the 60 is more refined, defined and resolving and more extended on both sides. To me it is easily worth the extra money.
Your comments wrt the CAR60 with the diamond cantilever are very similar to the “magic” I hear from the Etsuro Gold with diamond cantilever. I predict even more mfg’s are going to be including a diamond cantilever because the speed provides, IMO, an abundance of micro-information that has remained out of reach, and that micro-info opens up to another realm entirely.

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

I stumble upon you post from a search over the brilliant SMT acoustic panels (I own 4 mid-size ans one big S-wings to remove a flutter echo with my Analysis ribbon panel in town, small modern flat, parallel walls - classical music, I attend live concerts quite often).

What a wonderful room and system you have! And the AlsyVox Botticelli are outstanding. You did not talked very much about your speaker upgrade (Avalon -> AlsyVox)...

Have you replaced your Conrad Johnson monoblock power amplifiers? If so, which amplifier did you chose?
I heard the AlsyVox Botticelli X (with external crossover) with Aries Cerat electronics (Concero? Not sure). Though on a hifi show, the demo wa very convincing. I shortly reported my experience, here, last paragraph:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...aros-maggies-and-all-others.26486/post-840585

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Back to the main thread topic, does anyone know how I can contact SMT's Matts? I'm building a dedicated basement listening room and currently shopping for diffuser solutions, evaluating the pros/cons of traditional QRDs against SMT's winged diffusers. I tried emailing matts@diffusor.com twice in May, but received no reply; I'm wondering whether there's a better way to get in touch with Matts. Thank you.

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Always comunicated with him on matts@diffusor.com, but you can also try to reach him on his telehone 070-5132221.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Awsome!!!
I also had a Benz LP (the old) and bought a CAR-30 that sounded more dramatic and better in the system I had back then. The Benz LP sounded more romantic or sophisticated, but the CAR-30 had both grunt dynamics, sweet top end yet detailed and fun.
Since then my system has gone through big changes.
I recently got my CAR-30 back from a check up, I refurbished it last year with new suspension, new MR diamond and boron cantilever, new coils.
It never sounded as it did before and eventually I send it back and the company that did the refurb adjusted something probably the damping(?) and now it sounds amazing.
I was actually prepared to buy a CAR-40 or a CAR-50, but after the adjustment I will wait a couple of years with the upgrade. Decided to move up the food chain in speakers instead. Going from Avantgarde Acoustic UNO fino edition to the UNO XD instead.
The CAR-60 is a real dream.
I don’t know why many people think Kuzma carts are boring or bland. I’ve tried several different brands at home that have really good reviews but to my ears they all sounding somewhat uneven throughout the frequencies, some frequencies are glared or pronounced in a way that sound catching but not right to my ears. The CARs always sounds perfectly balanced at least on Kuzma TT/arms ( StabiR/4-point 9”)
I also have a spare Benz mounted on another head shell, a upgraded Glider S with a Ebony house. The Benz sounds a tad more romantic and not as detailed and dynamic in the macro dynamics. Bass on the the CAR is far superior.
I also use the SMT transparent wing modules, great acoustical gear
Really love your setup, room and the TT/arm/cart.

Attachments

• 01E81530-1F49-446B-BFC9-91D62AA7A207.jpeg
    01E81530-1F49-446B-BFC9-91D62AA7A207.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 3

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Awsome!!!
I also had a Benz LP (the old) and bought a CAR-30 that sounded more dramatic and better in the system I had back then. The Benz LP sounded more romantic or sophisticated, but the CAR-30 had both grunt dynamics, sweet top end yet detailed and fun.
Since then my system has gone through big changes.
I recently got my CAR-30 back from a check up, I refurbished it last year with new suspension, new MR diamond and boron cantilever, new coils.
It never sounded as it did before and eventually I send it back and the company that did the refurb adjusted something probably the damping(?) and now it sounds amazing.
I was actually prepared to buy a CAR-40 or a CAR-50, but after the adjustment I will wait a couple of years with the upgrade. Decided to move up the food chain in speakers instead. Going from Avantgarde Acoustic UNO fino edition to the UNO XD instead.
The CAR-60 is a real dream.
I don’t know why many people think Kuzma carts are boring or bland. I’ve tried several different brands at home that have really good reviews but to my ears they all sounding somewhat uneven throughout the frequencies, some frequencies are glared or pronounced in a way that sound catching but not right to my ears. The CARs always sounds perfectly balanced at least on Kuzma TT/arms ( StabiR/4-point 9”)
I also have a spare Benz mounted on another head shell, a upgraded Glider S with a Ebony house. The Benz sounds a tad more romantic and not as detailed and dynamic in the macro dynamics. Bass on the the CAR is far superior.
I also use the SMT transparent wing modules, great acoustical gear
Really love your setup, room and the TT/arm/cart.
Thank you Adagio. I started to build a small vacation house in the mountains that will also have a dedicated listening room designed by SMT. Hope to finish it in a year. Btw, have been in Franc Kuzma new SMT listening room (very similar to the Magico) and was absolutely amazed how great it sounds and looks.

dc67e92a-40f3-4bd2-86e2-ad0cb3d78445.jpeg 116fead9-f345-48cb-b704-35480d1c1b22.jpeg

Yes, CAR-30 is a great cartridge and it also has the best price/performance ratio in the CAR line IMO. I would not say it's better than the Benz LPS but it certainly is less “romantic” and more upbeat, controlled and dynamic.

Last edited:

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Thank you Adagio. I started to build a small vacation house in the mountains that will also have a dedicated listening room designed by SMT. Hope to finish it in a year. Btw, have listened to Franc Kuzma new SMT listening room (very similar to the Magico) and was absolutely amazed how great it sounds and looks.

View attachment 113382 View attachment 113384

Yes, CAR-30 is a great cartridge and it also has the best price/performance ratio in the CAR line IMO. I would not say it's better than the Benz LPS but it certainly is less “romantic” and more upbeat, controlled and dynamic.
Just for the record, it was the original LP, not the new LPS that I suspect is much better than the old one. Benz SLR are also a candidate for me in the future. I recently tried the Hana umami Blue at home.... rich in color but a bit dull compared to the CAR, except in the area that made steel guitars pop out etc, in that frequency the Hana was to hot for my taste.
All and all t was a great sounding cart but I prefer the CAR.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you Adagio. I started to build a small vacation house in the mountains that will also have a dedicated listening room designed by SMT. Hope to finish it in a year. Btw, have listened to Franc Kuzma new SMT listening room (very similar to the Magico) and was absolutely amazed how great it sounds and looks.

View attachment 113382 View attachment 113384

Wow, what a beautiful room :cool:
But it looks HUUUUGE :eek:
Do you know the dimensions?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
It is huge! 11 x 6 x 4m.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing