My Pinkfaun 2.16 ultra experience

Mikeg1

Aug 17, 2020
Bacch is between pinky and your dac. I had it, and it was terrible, worst hifi experience happened to me.
I had decent stereo imaging prior to the BACCH but not perfect. The room measurement by the BACCH showed four major room nodes. The BACCH ORC (room correction) addressed the room nodes and I couldn't be happier. I had a well treated room with six Stillpoint Aperatures on the front wall, two GIK panels (fout total) at each side wall reflection, and three GIK ceiling panels prior to the BACCH. The Cube Nenuphars totally disappear now, when there is extreme dynamics the sound doesn't become congested since implementing the BACCH, the center fill of the soundstage is significantly improved and my system is more natural sounding. Each system is different.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.jpeg
    IMG_2614.jpeg
    760.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: aangen

Goetzfam

Jun 20, 2023
I'm a headphone guy with a BHSE driving Stax 9000 headphones. My plan is to first put my money into the upcoming Headamp Grand Cayman with the upgraded Pink Faun USB bridge. The Bacch system sounds so intriguing, but I guess I'll wait a bit.

Reactions: Legolas

Pink Faun

Dec 2, 2019
www.pinkfaun.com
I had a question for the group. I‘m interested the Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra. I am currently using the BACCH4MAC Roon End Point processor that provides loudspeaker crosstalk and room correction. It's an excellent product and has won the Absolute Sound Product of the Year. The BACCH4MAC requires an Ethernet input so I think since the Pink Faun has two Ethernet ports (one for the input from my Router and Modem and a second for the output to the BACCH4MAC) it should work together. Can someone confirm that PK 2.16 Ultra would work in this configuratio?
I have no experience with the BACCH4MAC Roon endpoint. But when it is equipped with a RJ45 network input to function as a Roon endpoint, it can be seamlessly integrated directly with our 2.16 ultra. Our music server features two RJ45 ports on the rear panel: LAN 1 is designated for connection to your switch/router, while LAN 2 is intended for direct connection to your Roon endpoint (or BACCH4MAC Roon End Point).

Reactions: Audio Addict

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
I had a question for the group. I‘m interested the Pink Faun 2.16 Ultra. I am currently using the BACCH4MAC Roon End Point processor that provides loudspeaker crosstalk and room correction. It's an excellent product and has won the Absolute Sound Product of the Year. The BACCH4MAC requires an Ethernet input so I think since the Pink Faun has two Ethernet ports (one for the input from my Router and Modem and a second for the output to the BACCH4MAC) it should work together. Can someone confirm that PK 2.16 Ultra would work in this configuratio?

This BACCH is an interesting product - fancy being able to remove crosstalk between speakers!

Do I understand correctly that there is a version called the BACCH SP which allow connections via USB (in and out). So the connections would be say a Pink Faun streamer -> BACCH SP -> DAC?

Can you describe the effect with this device in play and whether it changes the character of the system - do the speakers still have the same character (tonal balance, texture, details etc) as before or does it sound totally different?

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Finally the long awaited Pink Faun Ultra USB bridge is complete and just about to be delivered to their first owners next week.

Last year 2023 when I found out about it, I visited Pink Faun in Rhenen to have a first look and wrote up about that visit is here. Being a long time Pink Faun user, I am fortunate to be in this first pre-production batch of 10 units.

It’s taken a little longer than planned but the team has taken the time to revise the locking lip of the USB Ultra’s aluminium case so it can fit both the current 2.16 Ultra streamer, which was what it was designed for, and the older 2.16x cases where full height cards usually needs some adjustment to fit. The Ultra card is 1.5x the width of a PCIe slot due to the new case which serves as an EMI shield and heat sink for the new super-capacitor power components and Ultra OCXO clock inside and so it will need 2 free full sized PCIe slots to fit. External power will be 5V/2A through what will probably be a 2.5mm barrel plug but there seems to also be an internal 4-pin Molex power socket too. It will be interesting to compare the internal Molex supply buffered by the super capacitors to a good external DC supply. This is significant since good DC supplies and their associated audiophile cables are not cheap.

1 (18).jpeg 1 (19).jpeg 1 (20).jpeg

Jord informs me that the card will be officially launched on their website before the Munich show in May. The 2nd batch is sold out with units ready later this month and production of the 3rd batch is on the way. I’m told the current plan is to sell only to existing Pink Faun owners for €3250 ex. VAT making this probably the highest price USB card in existence!

Once I get my unit and have sometime with it, I will write my impressions about how it sounds. At this price, it is not a trivial purchase and it would have to out perform the existing v2 card substantially to make it worth the asking price. I recently found that the existing v2 card already outperformed the older v1/ultraOCXO card so this will be a difficult target to reach indeed. Let’s see soon!

Regards to all, Kin

Mikeg1

Aug 17, 2020
This BACCH is an interesting product - fancy being able to remove crosstalk between speakers!

Do I understand correctly that there is a version called the BACCH SP which allow connections via USB (in and out). So the connections would be say a Pink Faun streamer -> BACCH SP -> DAC?

Can you describe the effect with this device in play and whether it changes the character of the system - do the speakers still have the same character (tonal balance, texture, details etc) as before or does it sound totally different?
The connections would be Roon end point—BACCH-SP—DAC. The tonal balance doesn’t change when the loudspeaker crosstalk cancellation is done but the tonal balance is improved by the room correction. The room correction address the room nodes. All I can say is previously complex dynamic tracks sounded compressed and distorted prior to the BACCH implementation. The soundstage is wider and deeper. Loudspeakers completely disapear.

Reactions: flkin

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Finally the long awaited Pink Faun Ultra USB bridge is complete and just about to be delivered to their first owners next week.

Last year 2023 when I found out about it, I visited Pink Faun in Rhenen to have a first look and wrote up about that visit is here. Being a long time Pink Faun user, I am fortunate to be in this first pre-production batch of 10 units.

It’s taken a little longer than planned but the team has taken the time to revise the locking lip of the USB Ultra’s aluminium case so it can fit both the current 2.16 Ultra streamer, which was what it was designed for, and the older 2.16x cases where full height cards usually needs some adjustment to fit. The Ultra card is 1.5x the width of a PCIe slot due to the new case which serves as an EMI shield and heat sink for the new super-capacitor power components and Ultra OCXO clock inside and so it will need 2 free full sized PCIe slots to fit. External power will be 5V/2A through what will probably be a 2.5mm barrel plug but there seems to also be an internal 4-pin Molex power socket too. It will be interesting to compare the internal Molex supply buffered by the super capacitors to a good external DC supply. This is significant since good DC supplies and their associated audiophile cables are not cheap.

View attachment 128168 View attachment 128169 View attachment 128170

Jord informs me that the card will be officially launched on their website before the Munich show in May. The 2nd batch is sold out with units ready later this month and production of the 3rd batch is on the way. I’m told the current plan is to sell only to existing Pink Faun owners for €3250 ex. VAT making this probably the highest price USB card in existence!

Once I get my unit and have sometime with it, I will write my impressions about how it sounds. At this price, it is not a trivial purchase and it would have to out perform the existing v2 card substantially to make it worth the asking price. I recently found that the existing v2 card already outperformed the older v1/ultraOCXO card so this will be a difficult target to reach indeed. Let’s see soon!

Regards to all, Kin
Looking forward to your reports !
Phil

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
At this price, it is not a trivial purchase and it would have to out perform the existing v2 card substantially to make it worth the asking price. I recently found that the existing v2 card already outperformed the older v1/ultraOCXO card so this will be a difficult target to reach indeed.
Comparing the approach of Taiko and PF I am just wondering if it makes sense to squeeze the last drops of SQ out of USB or to leave USB behind and to enter a new path. Maybe we get some impressions about SQ and musicality at HE Munich. Both manufacturers are exhibitors.

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok
Many paths to audio Nirvana. I think there is space for all technologies and approaches to exist. And as a consumer, the more options to choose from the better!

But like you, I do I wonder how much further the USB technology can be pushed sound wise? My opinion is that it's not a stagnant technology, the standard is constantly being revised and is a proven solid high speed connection on an industrial scale. However the standard itself is not new nor a bespoke audiophile solution. Does this matter if it gets the job done well?

Well find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pink Faun

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Jord informs me that the card will be officially launched on their website before the Munich show in May.
@Pink Faun
What will be the Pink Faun set-up at High End Munich?
Thank you :cool:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I borrowed one of the protoypes for the Southwest Audio Show. I can say that it is definitively an improvement over the v2 card in just about every way. It is not subtle. There is a huge improvement and it is most noticeable in its dynamics and energy. The speakers are much more "driven" and it is very punchy in all of the FR. Everything hits harder in percussion and the body of instruments stand out in a way the v2 doesn't do.

I did a recording when I burnt in the card for 48 hours here

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@Pink Faun
I have a great wish for your new USB Bridge V2:
Please add support for MacOS.
For comparison the JCAT XE which uses the same ASM3142 chipset offers also MacOS support.
Thank you :cool:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
DA conversion and amplification is Aries Cerat, and so are the speakers.
According to the brand directory of HE Munich Pink Faun is together with Zellaton in F208.
Is this correct?

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

I had a chance to put my hands on one yesterday.

First impression - super heavy. The card has been milled from a single block of aluminum, around 5cm (2") thick.

It is my understanding that the card is offered as an upgrade for Pink Faun Ultra servers only - at least for the time beeing. One of the design limitations that I see is the fact that you would not be able to change the card bracket (short or full height). If they ever decide to sell it as a DIY solution, they will have to offer 2 versions of the card - with full size and short brackets.

Most of the aftermarket cases need full size brackets, so this version with short bracket AND double width, will not even fit.

Inside you will find a new single board design (the old USB Ultra used stacked design, with the clock sitting on a small doughter PCB on top of the main PCB) with OCXO clock integrated on a single board.

The card uses 5 new LDO voltage regulators from LT30xx family plus a bank of 5 Ultra Capacitors.

No idea how it sounds just yet, but certainly looks impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing