My Mola Mola Tambaqui Revuew

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Hi @PYP, I think they all just add.
Yes, I've experienced that. At this point, any change that further increases truthfulness of timbre would be reason for an upgrade.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Hello All, As an owner of two MM Tambaqui's, a Grimm MU1 and experience with different streamers and Roon Core, I can relay some thoughts.
First, the Tambaqui is amazing. I have a stand alone MMT with Audionet Stern and Heisenbergs in my reference system. I thought I had arrived when I replaced my PS Audio Direct Stream > Auralic Vega G2 > Tambaqui with it's internal streamer. Then added Auralic Aries G2 with much improvement. Then I modded its power with an expensive Sean Jacob's AR6 power supply. This was better but finicky on my network. All this time I was running roon core on a Nucleus + with a very optimized digital front end including JCAT M12 gold switch. NO fiber.

As my Aries kept loosing my network, and my Nucleus core also prone to hiccups, I bought a Grimm MU1. It is BETTER and more SIMPLE by far.
It eliminated my Roon Nucleus (as the MU1 runs Roon Core). It also sounds better, especially streaming any resolution of Qobuz. It eliminated 1) Roon Nucleus +, 2) power supply for same, 3) Power cord for same, 4) space in my office computer rack, and at least one network cable. And sounds BETTER.

My second Tambaqui is inside my MM Makua, which as stated here, is an amazing piece of audio, esthetics and synergy. Having the MMT inside the pre (a concept I do not easily choose) again saves space, power cord and interconnects. As this system is upstairs in our family room, it also qualifies as an amazing sounding 'lifestyle' piece that fits and looks good. I initially had it with the beautifully paired Kaluga amps. But having tried my Audionet (then Max's) with the Makua it was no contest. The Kalugas left and I moved the Audionet Max amps upstairs with the Makua. All cabling is Kubala Sonsa Elation or Realization.

So now I had a new issue; the system with the Grimm MU1 easily sounded better than the one using the Tambaqui's internal streamer. So I played with moving the Grimm back and forth, and EASILY appreciated its improvement to the Tambaqui internal streamer. Now I wanted another Grimm. Problem - the Grimm MU1 can NOT serve as a streamer only. It must run its own core to function, and I need the second one to be endpoint only. I have spoken with Grimm, and they say by years end there will be updates to MU1 to allow one to be endpoint only. We shall see.

So in the meantime I can not help but to explore other streamers. Aurender ? possibly the N30 but it as of yet does not run Roon ( I know why).
Antipodes? Just too out there for me. Pink Faun? Taiko - maybe!

So my lesson in Roon or no Roon:: I now have in on trial the S1 streamer from JCAT (XACT S1). It does not run Roon, as Marcin has designed this streamer to sound best and that is to not run Roon. His software is JPLAY which has been around a bit. Guess what? This XACT S1 streamer flat out sounds better than the Grimm running Roon. Blacker. Quieter. Better micro details. I have A-B'd the Grimm and the S1 many many times.
But no Roon. And I miss it. Some say they do not miss it but the versatility with my other two endpoints is fun and convenient. (sound in bedroom and bathroom). And the selections of songs that Roon picks after my songs is spot on. I have found much music I enjoy this way. No other software seems to be as good as this. I use no Roon post processing.

I now clearly understand why manufacturers say their software sounds better than roon. But I want my cake and to eat it too!
I think Taiko is the one for this, and I may go there in the future. And, as with the MU2, Taiko's future embedded DAC with the Extreme would simplify things much and again save (can you say save with an Extreme?) interconnects, power cords and space.

So today, the Grimm MU1 works in my system very easily and wonderfully, and the XACT S1 sounds amazing, even better than the Grimm, with the cost of no Roon.
“Antipodes? Just too out there for me.”

not sure what you mean by this statement. Lots of Antipodes owners on this site (including me) and dont recall anyone describing it this way

Reactions: KrellFan1

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello
Antipodes? Just too out there for me.”

not sure what you mean by this statement. Lots of Antipodes owners on this site (including me) and dont recall anyone describing it this way
Yeah that did not come across very well, sorry. I guess it is just a feeling, and I can not substantiate it. They seem less mainstream than several other big streamer companies. And yet I went with Grimm, which is a bit esoteric and am strongly considering a Taiko Extreme when the new DAC is out. I was also a very early owner of a Makua with internal DAC, when most thought MM was just a fish. Point taken. I would love to listen to a top Antipodes in my system.

Reactions: OLADRA and matthias

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Sadly yes @PVP. The volume on the Tambaqui is not the best, and I believe you loose resolution at lower volumes. ANY good preamp would be an improvement. But the Makua w onboard tambaqui is an elegant piece. That is my set up (mostly) the Grimm and the Makua.
@fast.freight , Did you happen to compare Makua w onboard Tambaqui vs. Makua w outboard Tambaqui with the same amps?

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
@fast.freight , Did you happen to compare Makua w onboard Tambaqui vs. Makua w outboard Tambaqui with the same amps?
Hello PYP. Yes I have compared, but not with all identical equipment. It was the amps I was changing: At the time system 1 had Audionet Pre G2, Audioinet Max amps, Tambaqui and YG Hailey speakers. System 2 had Makua w onboard Tambaqui, MM Kaluga amps, Revel Salon 2 speakers. Both had K-S Elation interconnects but the Hailey's had better speaker wires. I liked system 1 so I brought the Max amps upstairs to try in place of the Kalugas. Huge improvement. The Audionet Max amps are special, so much more lifelike, better resolution and sparkle, and easy to love. The onboard Tambaqui in the Makua was certainly not the bottleneck! The onboard streamer in either Tambaqui is however. Better sound was had first with the Auralic G2, and now the Grimm MU1 which seems a great match for the Tambaqui. I am demoing the XACT S! and it is easily better still in sound, but at the (?cost) of not running Roon. Seems the XACT S1 and the Taiko Extreme get better sound by NOT running roon. I have not heard the Taiko, but listeners state it achieves the best roon they have ever heard.

Reactions: PYP

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I found out Tambaqui plays the best straight without digital volume to the amps with its own volume reg. So much better then with NAT Magnetic preamp or any other pramp I tried so far. Now with Horning Agalme wow, never heard anything like that in my life, maybe very strong statement but that what it is

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Unfortunately I like to try Lampizator Pacific so I will let it go, if Im a sorry I can always get it back, we shall see

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I found out Tambaqui plays the best straight without digital volume to the amps with its own volume reg. So much better then with NAT Magnetic preamp or any other pramp I tried so far. Now with Horning Agalme wow, never heard anything like that in my life, maybe very strong statement but that what it is
I have never tried any DAC without a preamp. Most every "expert" has advised a good DAC always sounds better with a preamp, provided, of course that it is an excellent preamplifier. I use the Makua preamp and it's fantastic.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have never tried any DAC without a preamp. Most every "expert" has advised a good DAC always sounds better with a preamp, provided, of course that it is an excellent preamplifier. I use the Makua preamp and it's fantastic.
Makua I had at home, But I did not have so revealing spekers as Horning now, i also tried makua with internal Tambaqui before and it was better then Tambaqui itself then

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Makua I had at home, But I did not have so revealing spekers as Horning now, i also tried makua with internal Tambaqui before and it was better then Tambaqui itself then
Interesting. Did you have it long before making this determination? I ask only because at first I didn't like the sound of the Makua. It took a LONG time to break in, but eventually revealed its true majesty.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Interesting. Did you have it long before making this determination? I ask only because at first I didn't like the sound of the Makua. It took a LONG time to break in, but eventually revealed its true majesty.
Long as in, say, four months? Or was it longer?

I ask because I'm considering the Makua but really don't like long break-in periods. I would most likely trade in the Tambaqui for a Makua with the built-in Tambaqui (since my preference is few cords and less space taken), so the built-in DAC would probably take a few months for its own break in (if my memory is correct about the Tambaqui).

Last edited:
Reactions: msimanyi

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Long as in, say, four months? Or was it longer?

I ask because I'm considering the Makua but really don't like long break-in periods. I would most likely trade in the Tambaqui for a Makua with the built-in Makua (since my preference is few cords and less space taken), so the built-in DAC would probably take a few months for its own break in (if my memory is correct about the Tambaqui).
No, nothing at all like that. I'd say a week to 10 days at most. Even after 3 days it sounded considerably better than it did out of the box. I had two dealer friends - not even dealers for Mola Mola - who know the piece well and both feel it punches at 3 times its weight, price wise. One said it easily competes with 30K preamps. I find it to be a top shelf piece on every level. Sublime

Reactions: msimanyi and PYP

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
How about Lampi Pacific going to Makua pre/Tambaqui combo just for fun to try time to time to switch Tambaqui/Lampi?

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
No, nothing at all like that. I'd say a week to 10 days at most. Even after 3 days it sounded considerably better than it did out of the box. I had two dealer friends - not even dealers for Mola Mola - who know the piece well and both feel it punches at 3 times its weight, price wise. One said it easily competes with 30K preamps. I find it to be a top shelf piece on every level. Sublime
Thank you for commenting about this. I'm seriously considering the Makua, possibly with the internal DAC just for a backup (and the fun of comparing it with my Lampizator), as well as some other contenders... but I keep thinking the Makua "feels" right to me.

VTL's TL6.5 Series II is also a contender. I've read owner complaints about having to send their VTL hardware back to the factory for minor issues, but they're about 25 minutes away from me so that's not a hindrance *unless* they won't allow me to drop it off personally.

Reactions: PYP and KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for commenting about this. I'm seriously considering the Makua, possibly with the internal DAC just for a backup (and the fun of comparing it with my Lampizator), as well as some other contenders... but I keep thinking the Makua "feels" right to me.

VTL's TL6.5 Series II is also a contender. I've read owner complaints about having to send their VTL hardware back to the factory for minor issues, but they're about 25 minutes away from me so that's not a hindrance *unless* they won't allow me to drop it off personally.
The Makua is a true, hi-fi piece of art and built at industrial grade.level. I've not heard of anything ever "breaking down," as their units are built like tanks. Ultra reliable and some reviewers/critics have said of the Tmbaqui that one can spend 100K and not get a better sound. So for sure it is a value even at 13.5K US. That said, I have also heard fantastic things about Lampizator. Clearly each will sound very different - one being tube based and the other solid state. It will come down to personal preference of course.

Reactions: msimanyi

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
The ability to switch between the Makua's DAC (which is a Tambaqui) and another DAC like the Lampizator is such a great option. If budget and rack space allows, having two different DACs (tubes and not) seems like the perfect setup if your streamer has two outputs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing