My Mola Mola Tambaqui Revuew

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I’m afraid this is a bit over my head. How would such a device be integrated into a system such as mine, and to what purpose? I frankly LOVE the way my 300 XD sounds. And I have owned at least three Krell amps over the years, including the iconic 400 FPBCX which is one of those iconic “muscle cars.” David Goodman worked his magic here and this latest offering actually sounds MORE musical then the mega heat generating predecessors.
I must have misunderstood when you said: "As for the mono blocks, a primary reason why I might consider is because their footprint is small enough such that I might be able to squeeze one of my REL 212/SX subs into the front rear corner where my stereo Krell resides. So there would be upside to 2 channel music listening to achieve stereo subs though a small downside to home theater. Something to ponder….." Not sure what you were saying...

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I must have misunderstood when you said: "As for the mono blocks, a primary reason why I might consider is because their footprint is small enough such that I might be able to squeeze one of my REL 212/SX subs into the front rear corner where my stereo Krell resides. So there would be upside to 2 channel music listening to achieve stereo subs though a small downside to home theater. Something to ponder….." Not sure what you were saying...
NP. It IS a remote possibility one day I consider the MM mono blocks but only bc it would enable me to deploy my REL subs as true stereo subs Most mono blocks simply wouldn’t fit in my limited space such that the area could accommodate a large double decker REL sub. But I’d wanna hear them first bc a class D amp represents a huge departure for me having been a Class A user most of my life.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
NP. It IS a remote possibility one day I consider the MM mono blocks but only bc it would enable me to deploy my REL subs as true stereo subs Most mono blocks simply wouldn’t fit in my limited space such that the area could accommodate a large double decker REL sub. But I’d wanna hear them first bc a class D amp represents a huge departure for me having been a Class A user most of my life.
Absolutely agree that an in-home trial is needed for any new piece of gear. Seems that many powered subs use class D amps. If that is correct, Bruno's latest high-powered module might fit your needs very well. Just one thing to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't use the Kaluga amps for that purpose, mostly because of budget but also a belief that for dedicated duty like a sub, less expensive amps will get you 95% of the performance. The Kaluga's casework is rather fancy and contributes to the higher cost of the amp. And they were designed to be the main amps in a system. Just my opinion.

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Absolutely agree that an in-home trial is needed for any new piece of gear. Seems that many powered subs use class D amps. If that is correct, Bruno's latest high-powered module might fit your needs very well. Just one thing to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't use the Kaluga amps for that purpose, mostly because of budget but also a belief that for dedicated duty like a sub, less expensive amps will get you 95% of the performance. The Kaluga's casework is rather fancy and contributes to the higher cost of the amp. And they were designed to be the main amps in a system. Just my opinion.
Good advice and well taken. Thx. Reviewing the protocol for connecting REL to high level which for stereo is optimal, I’m reminded that it can be problematic with respect to grounding issues as explained here by John Hunter. So I’m guessing I’ll likely stay put with my Class A Krell and look for minor improvements along the way such as cabling. I’m sure I could realize some decent SQ bump upgrading my balanced interconnects ….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5WTOu60hE

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Good advice and well taken. Thx. Reviewing the protocol for connecting REL to high level which for stereo is optimal, I’m reminded that it can be problematic with respect to grounding issues as explained here by John Hunter. So I’m guessing I’ll likely stay put with my Class A Krell and look for minor improvements along the way such as cabling. I’m sure I could realize some decent SQ bump upgrading my balanced interconnects ….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5WTOu60hE
helpful video. so much better than a drawing. Good luck with you further experiments.

Billy Bunter

Sep 20, 2021
………Now I want to get his mono blocks!

………

I have the Tambaquai (albeit integrated within the Makua preamp)

But I didn’t like the sound of the Mola Mola Class D amplifiers at all, so listen well before you decide to buy !

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I have the Tambaquai (albeit integrated within the Makua preamp)

But I didn’t like the sound of the Mola Mola Class D amplifiers at all, so listen well before you decide to buy !
Thank. You’re not the first to give me a heads up regarding this, and much appreciated. That ambition is, for now, shelved. And out of curiosity, is that integrated amp Class D or is it AB?

Billy Bunter

Sep 20, 2021
Thank. You’re not the first to give me a heads up regarding this, and much appreciated. That ambition is, for now, shelved. And out of curiosity, is that integrated amp Class D or is it AB?
do you mean mine ? Answer: it’s not integrated…
- my preamp is the Makua that includes the Tambaquai DAC module. The preamp section is a “switching network“ which I believe is Class A or B (don’t think it’s Class D but I’m not 100% sure…)
- my Poweramp is a Luxman that operates A and B.

Mola Mola do an integrated amp, called a Kula, that is Class D and I didn’t like it (hard, dry etc). Seemed to negate all the benefits of the Tambaquai. My previous Devialet had a nicer sound in my opinion.
They also do the Kaluga power amp separates. Never listened to them.. my Kula experience steered me in a different (non Class D) direction.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
- my preamp is the Makua that includes the Tambaquai DAC module. The preamp section is a “switching network“ which I believe is Class A or B (don’t think it’s Class D but I’m not 100% sure…)

Mola Mola do an integrated amp, called a Kula, that is Class D and I didn’t like it (hard, dry etc). Seemed to negate all the benefits of the Tambaquai. My previous Devialet had a nicer sound in my opinion.
They also do the Kaluga power amp separates. Never listened to them.. my Kula experience steered me in a different (non Class D) direction.
Right! My bad and the fact you didn't like the integrated amp would explain why you didn't like the mono blocks. Same topology I presume. I DO understand the preamplifier is KILLER, and it might be on my short list if I ever wanna upgrade from my Krell bc I hear GREAT things about it. You too seem to like it . :) It''s hard to keep all of these fish names straight! LOL

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

And nice system, BTW.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hi PVP, KrellFan1 and Billy Buntner, A have a bit of time with these components here. I love the Tambaqui; I have one stand alone with the Grimm mu1, and one inside the Makua pre amp. I did have the Kalugas with the Makua. so pretty. But then I got Audionet Max amps downstairs and brought them up to try with the Makua / tambaqui. Sooo much nicer. bye Bye Kalugas. The Makua w Tambaqui into Max amps is so resolving, fast dynamic, yet relaxing and much more spacious and subtle. I am an Audionet fanboy with Tambaqui DAC and now Grimm Streamer and Core. Waiting for Grimm update to add a second mu1 as a Roon endpoint only.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Hi PVP, KrellFan1 and Billy Buntner, A have a bit of time with these components here. I love the Tambaqui; I have one stand alone with the Grimm mu1, and one inside the Makua pre amp. I did have the Kalugas with the Makua. so pretty. But then I got Audionet Max amps downstairs and brought them up to try with the Makua / tambaqui. Sooo much nicer. bye Bye Kalugas. The Makua w Tambaqui into Max amps is so resolving, fast dynamic, yet relaxing and much more spacious and subtle. I am an Audionet fanboy with Tambaqui DAC and now Grimm Streamer and Core. Waiting for Grimm update to add a second mu1 as a Roon endpoint only.
I’m not really familiar with the Audionet amplifiers but checked out a few reviews and can appreciate why you’re so passionate about them. They look stunning and at more than 5 X the cost of the Kalugas, they should sound amazing. Congrats. It appears like you’ve audio nirvana!

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Sorry for going off-topic here, but what benefit does that provide? (I’m also using an MU1.)
Hi msimanyi, I have two nice systems. One has the Grimm mu1 where it is my Roon Core and Streamer. My other system must access Core over my network, so does not enjoy the upsampling magic of the MU1. It is the Grimm's upsampling and reclocking board which makes the difference with the Tambaqui. So I want a second MU1 if it can function as a Roon Endpoint (Streamer) only, and not as a Roon Core (server,) as it is designed. This update / change is coming from Grimm this year. then, one MU1 will be Roon Core and Streamer, while the second can be streamer (Roon Endpoint) only. Currently this is not quite possible.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Hi msimanyi, I have two nice systems. One has the Grimm mu1 where it is my Roon Core and Streamer. My other system must access Core over my network, so does not enjoy the upsampling magic of the MU1. It is the Grimm's upsampling and reclocking board which makes the difference with the Tambaqui. So I want a second MU1 if it can function as a Roon Endpoint (Streamer) only, and not as a Roon Core (server,) as it is designed. This update / change is coming from Grimm this year. then, one MU1 will be Roon Core and Streamer, while the second can be streamer (Roon Endpoint) only. Currently this is not quite possible.
I’ve heard great things about the Grimm and know they’re killing it. For my part I’m “married” to my Sonore Optical Rendu SE so my streamer is 100% optical. I have a fairly new Small Green Computer transporter which functions as my music server with a great LPS so all set.

Bill Parish, the USA Distributor for Mola Mola absolutely advises using a streamer rather than using the network streamer built within the Tamnaqui. Why? “It sounds better.” And it does.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Bill Parish, the USA Distributor for Mola Mola absolutely advises using a streamer rather than using the network streamer built within the Tamnaqui. Why? “It sounds better.” And it does.
If you use effective ethernet noise cleaners before the streamer in the Tambaqui, it can sound very good indeed. That was my setup of one year. The Grimm is much more musical in my setup, probably because it is also a DDC. Agree with Bill. He has excellent ears and knows how to bring the best out of the gear he sells.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
If you use effective ethernet noise cleaners before the streamer in the Tambaqui, it can sound very good indeed. That was my setup of one year. The Grimm is much more musical in my setup, probably because it is also a DDC. Agree with Bill. He has excellent ears and knows how to bring the best out of the gear he sells.
Bill os a tour de force in US audio to be sure. He was smart to get on the Grimm bandwagon as they’re absolutely doing so many things right , apparently. I’m not familiar with the MU1 other than recognizing the foothold they’ve grabbed in our community. But for my part I’m quite happy with my Rendu SE and in fact am waiting for the boys to roll out their latest firmware so I can send my unit back to the factory to have my power supply upgraded with a few other tweaks added. Adrian from Sonore told me that the new firmware is “beyond glorious.” Apparently there are a few DACS out there that need to be addressed for compatibility issues. I think they’re close ….

Reactions: PYP

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Do you anticipate any further upgrades after that, or does "completing the journey" mean you're done with that? :)
I actually proceeded to further upgrade my purchase having the Makua preamplifier. I haven't gotten around to writing a review but suffice to say I am MORE than a little impressed. The Krell is a spectacular preamp; the Makua operates at a significantly higher level. Truly state of the art.

Billy Bunter

Sep 20, 2021
I actually proceeded to further upgrade my purchase having the Makua preamplifier. I haven't gotten around to writing a review but suffice to say I am MORE than a little impressed. The Krell is a spectacular preamp; the Makua operates at a significantly higher level. Truly state of the art.
That’s where I am now…. I have a Makua with the Tambaquai module (& the phono module) (& with a Mu-1 !)

And I used to have a Krell pre- and power- !!

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That’s where I am now…. I have a Makua with the Tambaquai module (& the phono module) (& with a Mu-1 !)

And I used to have a Krell pre- and power- !!
Sweet... and what a coincidence! And I am told the Makua with the DAC card built tin actually sounds a wee bit better as the need for yet one more set of interconnects is left out of the chain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing