My kind of wagon :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Pretty cool.... the SLS AMG isn't bad either!! :D

I raced one with one of them in Italy in a M3. But he chickened out and backed off at 240kph.

This was on the same day. I filmed it with a big SLR camera so was hard to manage the road with this big camera. Then a guy wouldn't move out of the way. By the time he did a sharp turn came and I had to drop the camera or die at those speeds :)

[video=vimeo;153333558]https://vimeo.com/153333558[/video]

Then here's the guy in the SLS:

DSC_5138.jpg

Then you would never believe it. Cruising along side by side with the SLS guy and this little Fiat 500 comes hot on my ass like I was going backwards! Fly's by me, so I step on it. Get up to 280kph and he's still pulling away! Wife starts getting scared so I back off. Here he is. Wow must of had a mean tuning kit on that thing. I can't believe it didn't go airborne!

DSC_5140.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Unfortunately mine is limited at 300kph!!

I think that's enough on American roads. 280 gets pretty twitchy in a M3 trust me. You need a M6 or SL like you have if you want to set the cruise at 250+ while eating a cheeseburger and texting at the same time thats for sure :) Grand touring machines made for high speed motoring :)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
motion picture cells blend

Unfortunately mine is limited at 300kph!!

At 285 kph /177 mph the posts of the guard rail become a totally solid appearing wall like motion picture cells blend; personal experience - many times on the Autobahn during the 70s & 80s.

zz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
At 285 kph /177 mph the posts of the guard rail become a totally solid appearing wall like motion picture cells blend; personal experience - many times on the Autobahn during the 70s & 80s.

zz.
Fastest I did was about 250-260 kph in the same place. What an experience. You get this tunnel vision and scared of looking sideways for a moment.

To Blizzard's story, I was feeling really good in this black BMW going that fast and then would come a Porsche behind me, flip his lights and race past me as if I was just cruising at 50!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The fastest I've been is on a motorcycle at 251kph. That's scary enough.

You know this AMG is a beast when it has Lap Timers and a function called "RACE START"!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Fastest I did was about 250-260 kph in the same place. What an experience. You get this tunnel vision and scared of looking sideways for a moment.

To Blizzard's story, I was feeling really good in this black BMW going that fast and then would come a Porsche behind me, flip his lights and race past me as if I was just cruising at 50!

That happened to me all the time. First time I had the cruise set at 200, just getting used to the car shortly after picking it up from Sixt in Munich. Then another BMW came racing up behind me flashing his lights to move the hell out of the fast lane. So I moved over to the right and he flew by. I noticed when he went buy it was a base model BMW 320D! This was when I realized it was time to stop being a pussy! :)

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The fastest I've been is on a motorcycle at 251kph. That's scary enough.

You know this AMG is a beast when it has Lap Timers and a function called "RACE START"!

You should make a 0-180 mph video for us :)

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I raced one with one of them in Italy in a M3. But he chickened out and backed off at 240kph.

This was on the same day. I filmed it with a big SLR camera so was hard to manage the road with this big camera. Then a guy wouldn't move out of the way. By the time he did a sharp turn came and I had to drop the camera or die at those speeds :)

[video=vimeo;153333558]https://vimeo.com/153333558[/video]

Then here's the guy in the SLS:

View attachment 25398

Then you would never believe it. Cruising along side by side with the SLS guy and this little Fiat 500 comes hot on my ass like I was going backwards! Fly's by me, so I step on it. Get up to 280kph and he's still pulling away! Wife starts getting scared so I back off. Here he is. Wow must of had a mean tuning kit on that thing. I can't believe it didn't go airborne!

View attachment 25399
That a fiat 500 abarth probably not modified.
You guys are getting way too impressed with yourselfs, going fast in a straight line is easy :rolleyes:

Try some corners and report back from your hospital beds.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
That a fiat 500 abarth probably not modified.
You guys are getting way too impressed with yourselfs, going fast in a straight line is easy :rolleyes:

I know it was an Abarth, but there's no way a standard Abarth is that fast. I had my wife with me, so I had to take it easy :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well, the closest I have come to dying in a car accident came from something close to that. Was speeding at 250 kph on the Autobahn south of Munich and we got to the little road we have to take from there on. I go there and immediate get stuck behind this long farm tractor and such going 20-30 kph. Suffice it to say, after driving 10X faster, this was suffering of highest level! We are going uphill behind this thing and I figured I pass him.

This being a rental car, I downshift into first and floor it. The little engine in that BMW loved to rev and I was feeling great acceleration relative to the tractor and figured I am going to pass it while staying in first gear since I was going uphill. Then a nightmare scenario flashed in front of me. Another car was coming down toward me in my passing lane with zero intention of slowing down! I am scared but think it is not anything that a bit more pressure on the gas pedal would not solve. I push the thing to the floor and holy cow, the car suddenly slows down! I look at the dash and the RPM was nearly readline and the limiter had kicked in!!!

From the corner of my eye I look at my boss in the passenger seat and I see the look of, "we are going to die aren't we?" I look past him and I still have not cleared the tractor. Nothing in my car driving experience had prepared me for this. How this thought came to me I don't know but I put 2 and 2 together that if the limiter had kicked in, I had to go into second gear even that meant less torque and a pause to change gears. I shift to that, floor the gas again, and just turn to the right, figuring that if I did not clear the tractor and ran into it, it was better than the head on collision. By some miracle, my solution worked and I got in front of the tractor when the other car passed me going really fast. The son of the you know what still had not slowed down.

I looked down and I was near red line in the second gear. I slow down and look at my boss who was completely white knuckled! At the same time, he realized that while I had gotten us into that mess, I also got us out. So he didn't chew me out at all.

It is amazing that the whole thing was probably 4 to 6 seconds yet seemed like an eternity in slow motion with me remembering every detail down to milliseconds.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well, the closest I have come to dying in a car accident came from something close to that. Was speeding at 250 kph on the Autobahn south of Munich and we got to the little road we have to take from there on. I go there and immediate get stuck behind this long farm tractor and such going 20-30 kph. Suffice it to say, after driving 10X faster, this was suffering of highest level! We are going uphill behind this thing and I figured I pass him.

This being a rental car, I downshift into first and floor it. The little engine in that BMW loved to rev and I was feeling great acceleration relative to the tractor and figured I am going to pass it while staying in first gear since I was going uphill. Then a nightmare scenario flashed in front of me. Another car was coming down toward me in my passing lane with zero intention of slowing down! I am scared but think it is not anything that a bit more pressure on the gas pedal would not solve. I push the thing to the floor and holy cow, the car suddenly slows down! I look at the dash and the RPM was nearly readline and the limiter had kicked in!!!

From the corner of my eye I look at my boss in the passenger seat and I see the look of, "we are going to die aren't we?" I look past him and I still have not cleared the tractor. Nothing in my car driving experience had prepared me for this. How this thought came to me I don't know but I put 2 and 2 together that if the limiter had kicked in, I had to go into second gear even that meant less torque and a pause to change gears. I shift to that, floor the gas again, and just turn to the right, figuring that if I did not clear the tractor and ran into it, it was better than the head on collision. By some miracle, my solution worked and I got in front of the tractor when the other car passed me going really fast. The son of the you know what still had not slowed down.

I looked down and I was near red line in the second gear. I slow down and look at my boss who was completely white knuckled! At the same time, he realized that while I had gotten us into that mess, I also got us out. So he didn't chew me out at all.

It is amazing that the whole thing was probably 4 to 6 seconds yet seemed like an eternity in slow motion with me remembering every detail down to milliseconds.

Sounds like good times :) I was probably on the same road. Last time I was in Germany with that wagon, I spent 2 weeks just driving around checking out cool stuff. Started in Frankfurt, went to Munich for Oktoberfest, then to Stuttgart for Volksfest. Then to Koln, Berlin, Dresden, Then all the way to Luxembourg City to check out a 1962 Mercedes touring coach I was going to buy. Finally back to Frankfurt and home.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Here's an SL63 AMG pulling away from a Yamaha R1 sport bike!!

There wouldn't be much left of that guy if he bit the dust. Definitely wouldn't be an open casket funeral. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I lost my car keys...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing