My First Sound Presence Deluxe III-Si 4.0 preamp with Paramount Special Edition upgrade

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
Last night I tried the Siemens E88CC which sounds so good too.

Attachments

• received_667369181040760.jpeg
    received_667369181040760.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 4

MarkusTubesNow

Oct 24, 2019
Dear First Sound owners -
Any current perspectives to share? Still staying with your FS unit?
I must say I'm surprised every once in a while to see a First Sound for sale anywhere. I know they are an end-game preamp - I just can't imagine what people are moving on to...

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Dear First Sound owners -
Any current perspectives to share? Still staying with your FS unit?
I must say I'm surprised every once in a while to see a First Sound for sale anywhere. I know they are an end-game preamp - I just can't imagine what people are moving on to...
I think my First Sound is the finest standalone preamp I've ever heard. I agree they are an end-game preamp.

That said, I also plan on selling mine, as I recently bought a really nice integrated amp, and I'm going to stay with that. It just allows for a much simpler set-up. I only need one PC and 1 pair of ICs to connect it to my source, a Lumin P1.

If anyone is interested, let me know, mine has all the latest updates and re-crafting of boards by Emmanuel Go.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets and Gjo

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
mine has all the latest updates and re-crafting of boards by Emmanuel Go.
Emmanuel Go is not only a true genius when it comes to designing excellent preamps, but he is a true gentleman in every sense of the word and an asset to the audiophile community :)

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Puma Cat

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I feel exactly the same way about my First Sound preamp! I can't imagine ever parting with mine.

Best wishes,
Don
Normally, I would never part with mine, but I've just gotten to a place where I really need to have the simplest system set-up possible. Part of this is due to the challenges I had with other components (e.g. my SOtM network bridge) that I was using in my system at the time and my network, where I was constantly having "connectivity" issues with the SOtM's "Eunhasu server", etc. There were many occasions where I literally could not connect to the SOtM on my home network to stream content from the music server computer, at all, and had to spin LPs.

That's when I decided to get the Lumin P1 and stream content from the music server via LC/LC optical fiber straight from ER to the Lumin P1 in the main rack. The nice thing is...it now ALWAYS works.

I live in a small home and a nice integrated and a Lumin P1 meet my requirements nicely for me. The system is far simpler now, and as a result, it always works.

If I was putting together an all-out "reference-level" system in a full-on "dedicated room" with monoblocks, etc., the my First Sound would definitely be the heart and control center of my system. It's just an AMAZING preamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Any First Sound owner ever audition their preamp before buying? I tried to audition one but the designer would not let me audition his. AFAIK there were no dealers at the time. Who would buy an expensive preamp with no dealer network without actually doing a home audition? I don’t understand the business strategy.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Any First Sound owner ever audition their preamp before buying? I tried to audition one but the designer would not let me audition his. AFAIK there were no dealers at the time. Who would buy an expensive preamp with no dealer network without actually doing a home audition? I don’t understand the business strategy.
Yes. A friend let me audition his for a couple months in my own system before I bought mine. It was that experience that led me to decide to buy one.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Yes. A friend let me audition his for a couple months in my own system before I bought mine. It was that experience that led me to decide to buy one.
Looks like a nice preamp.. Lots of them for sale on the used market, always a bad sign not mention the resale is abysmal if you want to sell it.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Looks like a nice preamp.. Lots of them for sale on the used market, always a bad sign not mention the resale is abysmal if you want to sell it.
Skids929 I don’t get this comment at all — I don’t see “lots of them for sale”. Have you ever heard one? Ever seen the build quality? Why diss on this component?

This pre has had many iterations over the years so one isn’t necessarily like another and also means a used unit might be many years old. While I have never owned one I know folks who have (still do) and they are indeed legendary sound and quality.

My only complaint about these is no remote — but purist designs always require certain compromises.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Skids929 I don’t get this comment at all — I don’t see “lots of them for sale”. Have you ever heard one? Ever seen the build quality? Why diss on this component?

This pre has had many iterations over the years so one isn’t necessarily like another and also means a used unit might be many years old. While I have never owned one I know folks who have (still do) and they are indeed legendary sound and quality.

My only complaint about these is no remote — but purist designs always require certain compromises.
Sorry I will be al sunshine and roses next time. Just looking on the used market has been alot for sale and they sell for half price or less. Probably a great component, thats the cost of "bespoke" I guess. I am sure it sounds just fine, the lack of remote definitely a deal breaker.

Bohemian

Mar 16, 2022
I am with Bobvin. Maybe a dozen sold/for sale worldwide over the last six years. Some are the early passive version 30+ years old. Can't comment on resale value, not enough data, and many different models.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I don’t understand the business strategy.
No dealers. No audition options. No remote. Answer is pretty obvious.

With so many other options without the above issues, why someone would buy a product like this is beyond me.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
It's very common behavior on male-dominated internet forums. We've all encountered it before, as you know, Bob. And, it doesn't matter if it's audio gear, cameras, sport bikes, sports cars...it's all the same behavior. If you stated "f=ma", some guy will give you an argument about it. I just ignore it as I have better things to do with my time.

Yes, I agree. It's by far the best-sounding preamp I've ever heard. You would know as well, Bob. For folks focused on real performance, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
It's an incredible preamp, the best I've ever heard. And, no, there are not a lot of them for sale on the used market. In point of fact, you hardly ever see them up for sale, and the reason is because their owners, like Bob, are very happy with them.

Those who know....know.
No dealers. No audition options. No remote. Answer is pretty obvious.

With so many other options without the above issues, why someone would buy a product like this is beyond me.
Thanks for the positive comments and your support.

Have a nice day, gents.

Reactions: Bohemian

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
It's an incredible preamp, the best I've ever heard. And, no, there are not a lot of them for sale on the used market. In point of fact, you hardly ever see them up for sale, and the reason is because their owners, like Bob, are very happy with them.

Those who know....know.

Thanks for the positive comments and your support.

Have a nice day, gents.
Sorry for my rant Puma. I should have said IMHO. My sincere apologies for my insensitive remarks. It is your money and if ihat is what you want, who am I to judge.

My second try. For many folks like me, it is difficult to justify buying a very expensive, limited edition product from a extremely small manufacturer with very limited resources from a personnel and dealer support perspective. Not trying to be an ahole but I do hope you can understand my viewpoint.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Last edited:

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Not sure why, Bonvin acting like I walked over his grave over a comment and then all the owners coming to a components defense. I said it looked like it was nice, resale is a turnoff but that can be said for alot of components like this. Looks like a nice preamp, but again lack of remote non starter for me.

Not sure why people gotta schill on this site so much. [Edited]

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
As I age, I feel like I can just say what I think and let the chips fall where they may. This is not appropriate behavior, at times, and I need to be more sensitive to what I say and who I say it to. This is definitely one of those times.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing