My First Sound Presence Deluxe III-Si 4.0 preamp with Paramount Special Edition upgrade

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
I never tried it in a power conditioner. How does it change the presentation?

I'm trading in my Cayman S for an all electric Macan when it comes out in 2 years.
Well, it works FANTASTIC with a Shunyata Everest power distributor. The massive QR/BB device in Everest really takes the dynamics, the immediacy, the "you-are-there" qualities of the First Sound to another level altogether.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
One of the things I'm going to do next week is send my power supplies back to Emmanuel as he now has the latest Shunyata CCI-X noise reduction filter technology. He'll upgrade the power supplies with these new CCI-X devices. My understanding is these are BIG upgrade over the existing specification, and knowing how Caelin Gabriel at Shunyata has broken new ground with this technology with Everest (and even the entry level Venom V16 power distributor), my expectation is will result in a notable improvement in the reduction of the noise floor (which already is really low...).

Reactions: longinc

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Do You have the SI version?

longinc

Nov 26, 2020
Emmanuel’s latest power supply is now the “SI-X”. That’s the power supply that comes with the current units.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Emmanuel said he is getting to me. It sucks to send my preamp out. All I can play is tape. Or use headphones via my DAC to the tape input, then out to my headphones.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Emmanuel’s latest power supply is now the “SI-X”. That’s the power supply that comes with the current units.
Yeah, Andrew, that sounds right, and would be consistent with the latest Shunyata Research "CCI-X" specification noise reduction functionality. I have to get my power supplies sent out to Emmanuel as well for these updates. I'll reach out to him tomorrow.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Hey guys, per Emmanuel's recommendation, I tried installing the Shunyata Research SSF-38 stainless steel footers under my First Sound preamp last night.

I noticed improved focus, resolution, and clarity compared to the stock feet that the preamp normally comes with.

I've used the Shunyata SSF-38 footers under Shunyta power distributors that normally come with the stock plastic footer, and the SSF-38s make notable improvement under those power distributors, as well.

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
Hey guys, per Emmanuel's recommendation, I tried installing the Shunyata Research SSF-38 stainless steel footers under my First Sound preamp last night.

I noticed improved focus, resolution, and clarity compared to the stock feet that the preamp normally comes with.

I've used the Shunyata SSF-38 footers under Shunyta power distributors that normally come with the stock plastic footer, and the SSF-38s make notable improvement under those power distributors, as well.
Hi, Nice to meet you all! This is my first post here! I have just bought a First Sound
Presence Deluxe 4.0 MkIII-SI-x w/ Paramount Upgrade lately and was really feel excited for its performance. It was now running in and i do think it may take some times for the fully burn in of the capacitors. Mine was the dual supplies version and i am just looking for the right pair of power cord! It seems shunyata research would be a better synergy with the machine. Could the Venom XC be the right choice? For budget wise, i 'd only consider a pair of more economical one for the moment!
Btw, may i know if the chassis has to be opened for the changing of Shunyata SSF-38s footers or just unscrew at the bottom only?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Hi, Nice to meet you all! This is my first post here! I have just bought a First Sound
Presence Deluxe 4.0 MkIII-SI-x w/ Paramount Upgrade lately and was really feel excited for its performance. It was now running in and i do think it may take some times for the fully burn in of the capacitors. Mine was the dual supplies version and i am just looking for the right pair of power cord! It seems shunyata research would be a better synergy with the machine. Could the Venom XC be the right choice? For budget wise, i 'd only consider a pair of more economical one for the moment!
Btw, may i know if the chassis has to be opened for the changing of Shunyata SSF-38s footers or just unscrew at the bottom only?
Thanks!
Congrats on getting your First Sound preamp! They're really pretty amazing. Regarding power cords, the Venom XC will work great for your First Sound''s exterrnal power supplies. I've used the First Sound with the lower-spec Venom HC v2 and it sounded great with those, and the Venom XC are a step up on that, so you'll be in good stead. When your budget allows, youc always upgrade to Delta XC or Alpha XC. As for the footers, all you need to do is unscrew the stock feet from the bottom of the control unit, and screw on the SSF-38s using the supplied screws. They'll go on just fine.

BTW, I'm getting ready to send my power supplies back to Emmanuel for upgrade to MkIII-Si-X specification.

If you have any other questions, let us know, and congrats again!

Reactions: 321Bach

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
Congrats on getting your First Sound preamp! They're really pretty amazing. Regarding power cords, the Venom XC will work great for your First Sound''s exterrnal power supplies. I've used the First Sound with the lower-spec Venom HC v2 and it sounded great with those, and the Venom XC are a step up on that, so you'll be in good stead. When your budget allows, youc always upgrade to Delta XC or Alpha XC. As for the footers, all you need to do is unscrew the stock feet from the bottom of the control unit, and screw on the SSF-38s using the supplied screws. They'll go on just fine.

BTW, I'm getting ready to send my power supplies back to Emmanuel for upgrade to MkIII-Si-X specification.

If you have any other questions, let us know, and congrats again
Thank you for your reply! Moreover, do you think if there would also has improvement if changing the footers of the two supplies as well in your opinion?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I know you are writing Puma. I have had my First Sound for many years. A couple points.
It does react to power cords but its not hyper sensitive to then. I found a basic 12 awg is a good cord. 14 is too small. 10 is really no gain. A basic cord like an Akiko can work well.
I find the 2 power supply are not much influenced by the stand. I have put them on the floor, stands, footers. I hear no difference.
The main chassis is reactive to the stand. Try different stuff. Stillpoint type footers will bring out clarity. Rubber type footers will smear the sound.
Don't screw with the glowing purple tube, but toss the stock 6922 and get a pair of Telefunken E88CC. Siemens is also good. But the Tele works wonders.
Don't waste your money on the Ifi tube. It is super clear but lacks life.
A Audioquest/Shunyata can make it sound very clean, but Puma is correct in that Emmanuel has an update in the works where the PSs will get a new filter. If yours does not have it, wait till you do have it before investing in a filter.

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
I know you are writing Puma. I have had my First Sound for many years. A couple points.
It does react to power cords but its not hyper sensitive to then. I found a basic 12 awg is a good cord. 14 is too small. 10 is really no gain. A basic cord like an Akiko can work well.
I find the 2 power supply are not much influenced by the stand. I have put them on the floor, stands, footers. I hear no difference.
The main chassis is reactive to the stand. Try different stuff. Stillpoint type footers will bring out clarity. Rubber type footers will smear the sound.
Don't screw with the glowing purple tube, but toss the stock 6922 and get a pair of Telefunken E88CC. Siemens is also good. But the Tele works wonders.
Don't waste your money on the Ifi tube. It is super clear but lacks life.
A Audioquest/Shunyata can make it sound very clean, but Puma is correct in that Emmanuel has an update in the works where the PSs will get a new filter. If yours does not have it, wait till you do have it before investing in a filter.

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
Hi Kingrex, I am using Isolation transformer & filters in my system and for the first sound, since it doesn't consume much power, I intend to have it powered by stromtank batteries supply which i won't need to consider any further regarding the power source. I did place them on my HRS M3X2 platform and i believe it would make great benefits on its performance.Not sure if changing footers would even get better results.

Last edited:

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
So can anyone do a review of the updated First Sound in comparison to other high end preamps they’ve owned? All the pro reviews are old. I was seriously thinking of buying about 8 years years ago, but there was no dealer to audition this preamp. The designer wasnt willing to send me a loaner for home audition, even after I offered to pay for shipping and insurance both ways. It’s hard to justify making a purchase of such an expensive preamp without an audition.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
So can anyone do a review of the updated First Sound in comparison to other high end preamps they’ve owned? All the pro reviews are old. I was seriously thinking of buying about 8 years years ago, but there was no dealer to audition this preamp. The designer wasnt willing to send me a loaner for home audition, even after I offered to pay for shipping and insurance both ways. It’s hard to justify making a purchase of such an expensive preamp without an audition.
I could do a review of my First Sound compared to my Conrad-Johnson CT-5, but it would not be the best use of my time because the First Sound just flat smokes it. So...there's that, FWIW.

Reactions: No Regrets and Gjo

321Bach

Jan 23, 2022
H
I could do a review of my First Sound compared to my Conrad-Johnson CT-5, but it would not be the best use of my time because the First Sound just flat smokes it. So...there's that, FWIW.
Hi Puma Cat, what do you mean about the First Sound? Do you still love it?

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Yes, of course! It's awesome! FWIW, I just sent the dual external power supplies back to Emmanuel for an update to the latest Shunyata CCI-X noise filter technology.
Let us know how the updated power supply improves the sound. I’ve found that some of these power supply filters can do more damage than good, especially if you already use a power conditioner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing