My experience with Frey2 speaker cable (help plz)

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
Hi everyone, recently I had the chance to demo the Nordost Red Dawn on my system. It was nice sounding with more life compared to Shunyata Venom.
The Red Dawn was more alive and has more air around instrument. I also asked my wife to help me to do AB blind comparison. Where she changed the cable randomly and invited me to listen without me knowing which cable was connected.
Every time I managed to distinguish which cable, my wife also (ZERO experience with music gear, cables..etc) managed to identify which cable is more live and airy.

After the demo I decided that I like Nordost's sound signature and tis is why I decided to get the Frey 2.

Got the cable and here is the shock.... it is too bright! Unbearable with female vocal!

My dealer claims that it needs burn in! My self I don't believe in cable burn in.

What should I expect from the Frey2 after 100 hours? Is it gonna get smother?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I own both the Nordost Red Dawn ( a fabulous cable for the money,BTW) and Frey. Frey is more resolving, as such...any upstream problems will be revealed.
That is almost certainly what you are hearing with the increased brightness. Look to another part of your system as the culprit. What is the rest of your cable loom?
BTW, hopefully your dealer told you that Nordost really has to matched up with other members of the Nordost line to sound its best. Numerous folks have mixed and matched Nordost with other brands....then complained of the result...or attributed something to the match up that was not anything but the mismatch in synergy. As you discovered, Nordost is highly resolved, more than just about any other cable IME. That aspect can fly both ways for you!

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
I own both the Nordost Red Dawn ( a fabulous cable for the money,BTW) and Frey. Frey is more resolving, as such...any upstream problems will be revealed.
That is almost certainly what you are hearing with the increased brightness. Look to another part of your system as the culprit. What is the rest of your cable loom?
BTW, hopefully your dealer told you that Nordost really has to matched up with other members of the Nordost line to sound its best. Numerous folks have mixed and matched Nordost with other brands....then complained of the result...or attributed something to the match up that was not anything but the mismatch in synergy. As you discovered, Nordost is highly resolved, more than just about any other cable IME. That aspect can fly both ways for you!

Currently I only have Frey 2 speaker cables and waiting to get all stock power cables replaced with AudioQuest Tornado power cables. I also will get the Niagara 1200 power conditioner. I am streaming directly from my integrated amp, so no interconnects...etc.

But will it get smother? Do you find cable break in works for real?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Currently I only have Frey 2 speaker cables and waiting to get all stock power cables replaced with AudioQuest Tornado power cables. I also will get the Niagara 1200 power conditioner. I am streaming directly from my integrated amp, so no interconnects...etc.

But will it get smother? Do you find cable break in works for real?
I think you need to look to the upstream gear.
Break in works, but that’s probably not your problem. Frey is not inherently bright.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing