Munich show 2023 Hifideluxe and MOC .

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
And...AND...?!
Really very good Marc, there was an ease and flow to the music from this TT, genuinely a very engaging but relaxing experience which made this room a regular visit throughout the 4 days.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I certainly agree with the Luxury Brand element invading this market. Tidal closed their doors to consumers on Day 3, and on Day 4 they won't let mere consumers hear their flagship Bugatti (name!) offering, saving that for audio royalty only. So consciously cultivating exclusivity that it is offensive. It's a bad look, but they must have decided that it works for them. Weird to me.
I stated yesterday after the show , i more or less had it with the industry
If i wanna spend a lot of money on high tech performance / machined parts and carbon i ll go for a McLaren 720 s anytime

Reactions: djsina2

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
At the HiFi Deluxe venue there was an outstanding sounding speaker: the Marco Serri Design "Gladiator" speaker (ugh, to the name!). Huge, imposing, distinct looking (and ugly, to me) speaker of high efficiency and high impedance that sang full range and evenly. I heard almost nothing to quibble with on this new entrant! They were driven by a complete chain of electronics and cabling by the same company. SET amps. Truly lovely sound, and very impressive. Pretty f'ing expensive (I believe they said MSRP of 285k EUR). One to watch, though. ~750 lbs. and 7 feet high.

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3258.jpeg

It’s a 4 way with the 4th way running all the way from 600Hz to 20Khz+

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Really very good Marc, there was an ease and flow to the music from this TT, genuinely a very engaging but relaxing experience which made this room a regular visit throughout the 4 days.
I dread to ask if there was a price sticker.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I certainly agree with the Luxury Brand element invading this market. Tidal closed their doors to consumers on Day 3, and on Day 4 they won't let mere consumers hear their flagship Bugatti (name!) offering, saving that for audio royalty only. So consciously cultivating exclusivity that it is offensive. It's a bad look, but they must have decided that it works for them. Weird to me.
I thought exactly the same - very odd decision, and makes me think significantly less of a brand I previously held in pretty high regard. What they did demo on Sunday was set up so badly there was no way you could infer anything from it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I saw Fremers youtube videos on Munic 2023, and even if the different items are pretty nice and well-made, the prices are far through the roof.
This is prohibiting recrutement into hifi.
In the 70s and 80s, one could buy decent stuff when studying and dream realistically of being able to afford the expensive stuff once in a job. But now, 50-100k (€/$) per component is not unusual and even more for the most exclusive pieces.

The prices are a joke, and the way they are rising has nothing to do with inflation or quality. At Munich, it is like a peep show where people get their kinks wandering into high priced rooms, as it creates the curiosity to understand what the hell can this system do at such a price. The low priced ones get ignored. Just see how many 100k dacs, 100K+ TTs, 15k carts, etc have mushroomed, many with crazy retip prices. Unfortunately each audiophile wants to make a personal statement, and feel "included"

A fair no. of people on this forum seem to think price leads to quality, so it is easier to get sales hiking up prices. I really think audiophiles should discourage this because it is not coming at any investment into progress into sonics. Just fancy materials that do nothing for musical sonics. The only way to change this practice is if people discourage it, then in order to get sales the manufacturers will really need to do some work in understanding what makes good sonics, and spend time on that factor, instead of just putting up a sticker. And/Or the right manufacturers might get more credit than the wrong ones

Last edited:

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I saw Fremers youtube videos on Munic 2023, and even if the different items are pretty nice and well-made, the prices are far through the roof.
In the 70s and 80s, one could buy decent stuff when studying and dream realistically of being able to afford the expensive stuff once in a job. But now, 50-100k (€/$) per component is not unusual and even more for the most exclusive pieces.

Don't forget that this is the most important high-end show in Europe where many of the manufacturers wants to show the very best that they have to offer.

On the ultra high end level we're looking at extreme efforts and very limited volumes which will ultimately come at a very high price. There's no way around that.

All this being said, there are certainly brands that don't quality who puts a too high of a price tag on their offerings for sure.

There are many more affordable brands and products on the show as well though of course. Audio Solutions, Apertura, PMC, Odeon and many more.

/ Marcus. www.perfect-sense.se

Reactions: hogen and Bobvin

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I purchased Odeon Carneiges in poplar and a pair of Odeon Rigolettos. Rhapsody will now be adding Odeon to their product line up and representing Odeon in the US.

Welcome to the family - great choice.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Magazines/ reviewers do most of the filtering as to what is considered good standard .

May be Absolute sound Stereophile etc should hire experienced musicians and let them decide whats " good " for consumers.
Somebody with at least a recognized qualification

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
The prices are a joke, and the way they are rising has nothing to do with inflation or quality. At Munich, it is like a peep show where people get their kinks wandering into high priced rooms, as it creates the curiosity to understand what the hell can this system do at such a price. The low priced ones get ignored. Just see how many 100k dacs, 100K+ TTs, 15k carts, etc have mushroomed, many wait crazy retip prices. Unfortunately each audiophile wants to make a personal statement, and feel "included"

A fair no. of people on this forum seem to think price leads to quality, so it is easier to get sales hiking up prices. I really think audiophiles should discourage this because it is not coming at any investment into progress into sonics. Just fancy materials that do nothing for musical sonics. The only way to change this practice is if people discourage it, then in order to get sales the manufacturers will really need to do some work in understanding what makes good sonics, and spend time on that factor, instead of just putting up a sticker.
Definitely a ring of truth but I don't buy into this entirely. It seems to me a view from the point of view of the audiophile not necessarily the target audience for highend

All the manufacturers are businesses, most are looking to make a living from their business. The consistent theme I heard over the weekend from the trade was that there's some business at the entry level, very little demand in the mid-price and fairly solid demand at the highend.

If I'm a small manufacturer what would I do, go after the entry level mass market? No thanks, that's best left to those that can scale. Mid-price? Trying to sell to educated audiophiles who value price over service, you're biggest competitor is the secondhand market. Tough.

Then the really high-end. If you've a great idea it's much easier to implement (if you've the capital) in a cost no object exercise where a handful of sales might sustain the business for a year.

Munich Highend really does go to show that there are plenty of customers out there for product that pushes the boundary. The average price of a speaker may have gone up recently due to inflationary pressure but the transition from $25k as a top end speaker 10 years ago to more like $100k + is a reflection of demand as far as I can see.

I'd contend that from a material standpoint the new top end does by and large offer more than it did and is priced accordingly. Whether that translates into a desirable product for the audiophile is in the eye of the beholder.

Enjoyed the show, will share some thoughts and images shortly

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
The prices are a joke, and the way they are rising has nothing to do with inflation or quality. At Munich, it is like a peep show where people get their kinks wandering into high priced rooms, as it creates the curiosity to understand what the hell can this system do at such a price. The low priced ones get ignored. Just see how many 100k dacs, 100K+ TTs, 15k carts, etc have mushroomed, many with crazy retip prices. Unfortunately each audiophile wants to make a personal statement, and feel "included"

A fair no. of people on this forum seem to think price leads to quality, so it is easier to get sales hiking up prices. I really think audiophiles should discourage this because it is not coming at any investment into progress into sonics. Just fancy materials that do nothing for musical sonics. The only way to change this practice is if people discourage it, then in order to get sales the manufacturers will really need to do some work in understanding what makes good sonics, and spend time on that factor, instead of just putting up a sticker. And/Or the right manufacturers might get more credit than the wrong ones

IMG_3123.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

The “small” Cessaro I think is just over 30K Euro, and you can add a subwoofer for just over 8K

Add the new integrated triodefet from Aries Cerat at ~22K:

IMG_3309.jpeg

And you do have a somewhat reasonably priced “true high-end” system, IMHO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Definitely a ring of truth but I don't buy into this entirely. It seems to me a view from the point of view of the audiophile not necessarily the target audience for highend

All the manufacturers are businesses, most are looking to make a living from their business. The consistent theme I heard over the weekend from the trade was that there's some business at the entry level, very little demand in the mid-price and fairly solid demand at the highend

Yes but if they have to make a living they have to produce something worthwhile, not just charge a sticker. That was my point. If the job market is tough, and you charge a million for arranging appointments that one can at a receptionist's salary, no one is going to hire you. You have to justify your job and price ask. The fact that you have to earn a living is not an answer. The high prices at the moment in 99% of the cases are doing nothing, they are just stickers. What you are actually proposing is charity, we should feed the high prices because the industry is tough. If you are going to be so kind I will try to make up something soon that may not sound great, might break, but will have a high price.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Lovely design. Well done.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Thank you for your kind words. Even though I have not put my brand logo not to intrude with Rockport and Absolare I still got a lot of attention internationally. I will be providing two more rooms with my products soon, and one is a fellow wbf'er. There was distributor/dealer interest which is also good.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If i was a very busy rich guy with no time to actually listen i would want at least something ( loudspeaker / amp ) that looks good.

Great for show off parties

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
the prices are far through the roof.
I can't agree with you more.

While I was a student, I convinced my girlfriend to buy an affordable NAD&Mission-based audio system.
She then gradually became a genuine music-lover.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
If i was a very busy rich guy with no time to actually listen i would want at least something ( loudspeaker / amp ) that looks good.

Great for show off parties
if you are talking about D'Agostino, I am with you. It is exactly the opposite of what I want in my system.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing