View attachment 131538

Pretty cool, but I'd rather see this mid instead of the Lowther:

View attachment 131539
And this instead of the cone tweet:
View attachment 131540
This would also work well, crossed >1800Hz:View attachment 131542

This new driver could be the best option:

View attachment 131551
In my other TQWT speaker I use an 8 inch Supravox with a Beyma CP-755Ti with wood Tractrix horn or Beyma CP350TI in Iwata 600 horn…both work fine at 1khz crossover.

Reactions: D.Duttilleux
View attachment 131538

Pretty cool, but I'd rather see this mid instead of the Lowther:

View attachment 131539
And this instead of the cone tweet:
View attachment 131540
This would also work well, crossed >1800Hz:View attachment 131542

This new driver could be the best option:

View attachment 131551
I have one model down from the huge Horning you picture above…mine is Eufrodite Ellipse with PM65a Lowther. The cone tweeter is not as good a tweeter as these Beymas BUT being paper and a cone it blends rather seamlessly with the Lowther. You can believe it that the Lowther as a midrange is pretty awesome…probably better than the Supravox.

Aren't you a bass reflex adept?

Very much so , the ripples is not where i had expected them to be , looking at the port saddle I'm really surprised as the drivers not being equidistant to the port mouth will couple them differently when sharing the same cavity ..!

It's not a port, its a horn. You have two paths of different lengths feeding the same mouth...it's actually a very good design and has excellent bass if designed with the right lengths of the two horns.

Its a ported cabinet with a flared exit , for outdoor power we used to use it in reverse but with an actually compression port to a Venturi, the extreme pressure at port exit creates tremendous power , where a flared port or horn port creates speed very little pressure better for indoors ..!

I have one model down from the huge Horning you picture above…mine is Eufrodite Ellipse with PM65a Lowther. The cone tweeter is not as good a tweeter as these Beymas BUT being paper and a cone it blends rather seamlessly with the Lowther. You can believe it that the Lowther as a midrange is pretty awesome…probably better than the Supravox.
Yeah I've listened to a number of Lowthers, both modern and vintage.
I'm sure the cone tweet is an excellent match, and these drivers undoubtedly exhibit many characteristics of 'natural sound'.

I prefer drivers that at least approximate or share the same basic characteristics, but in a modern package.
As a result, the raw purity of the original will undoubtedly be compromised in exchange for a number of qualities that I also appreciate.

Its a ported cabinet with a flared exit , for outdoor power we used to use it in reverse but with an actually compression port to a Venturi, the extreme pressure at port exit creates tremendous power , where a flared port or horn port creates speed very little pressure better for indoors ..!

The DTQWT includes both horn and port (TL) characteristics. That's why the concept is often referred to as 'something in between'.

I especially like the 'mutual coupling' between bass and mid section, because it potentially increases the homogeneity.
It's basically a more complex 'asymmetrical' variant of a straight or snail horn with dual throat, like the AC mid bass horn in Munich.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2
I was in the Gauder room at Munich High End 2024, we had to queue up for the session. I think the room with all the kit was over €600000, a few people left the room before the first track finished and by the time the session had finished most of the room was empty. Another room that did not live up to the billing, again another emperors new clothes or am I just too demanding?

John Marsh's conception:

"BTW, though Troels describes this as horn loaded, the physicist in me must disagree- it appears to be a reverse taper dual driver transmission line- the mouth dimensions are NO where near what would be necessary for a true horn. That doesn't change how you'll enjoy or not enjoy the system, of course.

This would be a fun sort of build- old school high efficiency with more modern drivers and materials, but still in the end it's a 40Hz to 16kHz kind of speaker that is actually what I would call a 2.5 way, not a thee way, as the two woofer systems work in parallel in the bottom end, and the big woofer pressurizes the small one and reduces it's excursion.

The things it sacrifices for efficiency are the bandwidth of the tweeter, due to the Audax and Seas's design- they are in a classic mold, and I bet the guys who love SET's would love a pair of these speakers, for producing a certain kind of sound. (I call it high end golden age HiFi- pleasurable, and not to be dismissed, but not without some limitations."

I was in the Gauder room at Munich High End 2024, we had to queue up for the session. I think the room with all the kit was over €600000, a few people left the room before the first track finished and by the time the session had finished most of the room was empty. Another room that did not live up to the billing, again another emperors new clothes or am I just too demanding?
I visited the Gauder room that was using their $250 000 model (as I later found out) at the Axpona 24, sat there for few different musical cuts , trying to enjoy what I was hearing, but in the end just decided the system was WAAAAYYYY overpriced , to be charitable, for what it was offering. A 10 grand Magnepan model sounded much more enjoyable and coherent to my ears. In fact, the Gauder room was one of the few major disappointments for me at the Axpona 24 show, another one being the new Zellaton Evo, as well as the new Goldmund active speakers at $100K.
So , you are NOT alone in your assessment of the Gauder speakers as presented at those shows. However I am sure some of the Absolute Sound reviewers probably climaxed in ecstasy over their sound, being "golden eared" as they are.

Last edited:
John Marsh's conception:

"BTW, though Troels describes this as horn loaded, the physicist in me must disagree- it appears to be a reverse taper dual driver transmission line- the mouth dimensions are NO where near what would be necessary for a true horn. That doesn't change how you'll enjoy or not enjoy the system, of course.

This would be a fun sort of build- old school high efficiency with more modern drivers and materials, but still in the end it's a 40Hz to 16kHz kind of speaker that is actually what I would call a 2.5 way, not a thee way, as the two woofer systems work in parallel in the bottom end, and the big woofer pressurizes the small one and reduces it's excursion.

The things it sacrifices for efficiency are the bandwidth of the tweeter, due to the Audax and Seas's design- they are in a classic mold, and I bet the guys who love SET's would love a pair of these speakers, for producing a certain kind of sound. (I call it high end golden age HiFi- pleasurable, and not to be dismissed, but not without some limitations."

Yep Sounds about right , except i don't see it in the impedance curve , the ripples are showing up higher up than i would have thought almost like a tuned single woofer..

Subjectively i would have expect some noticeable bass doubling , but comments seem flattering so i guess not ..

Yep Sounds about right , except i don't see it in the impedance curve , the ripples are showing up higher up than i would have thought almost like a tuned single woofer..

Subjectively i would have expect some noticeable bass doubling , but comments seem flattering so i guess not ..
And that makes sense, considering the coupling.
Troels' DTQWTs include several xo sections, whereas the Hørning contains a single hp.

As for John Marsh's remarks, especially wrt the mouth size: the mouths of at least 80% of all commercially available bass horns are undersized.

BTW, what do you think about BMS 5530ND?
It can be used from 1kHz up in a two-way with a 15“ :cool:
Yes, and I've highlighted this driver elsewhere when it was first announced.

I own a couple of BMS drivers of the 45.. series that could also be used from about 1 kHz.
Basically, it comes down to preferences, a.o.:
- BMS polyester diaphragms have a distinct sound signature.
- Some people may prefer a (larger) metal diaphragm <1000 Hz.
- 'Embedding' of the driver > horn/waveguide, characteristics of the (mid)woofer etc. (There's one BMS midwoofer that I consider suitable, but it's a 12").

- BMS polyester diaphragms have a distinct sound signature.
Please, can you elaborate on the BMS sound signature in comparison to a titanium dome compression driver for example of the same size.
Thx

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing