YG Acoustics to debut Reference 3 Series at Munich High End 2023

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Reference 3 debuts at Munich High End 2023 - YG Acoustics (yg-acoustics.com)

YG Acoustics is pleased to announce Reference 3, the third version of their Reference range, setting new standards in accuracy and musicality.

The Reference 3 models include a wide range of new technologies and design innovations based on novel theoretical models, detailed multi-domain simulations and thousands of hours of listening. The end result: loudspeakers which convey every nuance of emotion, each musical cue from the tiniest micro-detail through to the visceral impact of the most thunderous crescendo.

This release marks the first major revision by the new engineering team at YG Acoustics, and is the most comprehensive set of improvements yet for the US-based manufacturer.

Reference 3 benefits from YG’s industry-leading measurement and modeling capabilities, leveraging the full potential of cloud computing to run simultaneous multi-domain simulations which look beyond just the loudspeaker to the entire audio system.

High resolution finite element, fluid dynamic and electrodynamic models are run in parallel to understand the elaborate interplay of amplifier, crossover, drive units, cabinet and listening space. These simulations run with reference music recordings rather than just test tones.

This unique approach delivers exceptional real-world performance with a broad range of amplifiers and listening rooms, resulting in spine-tingling realism and imaging, not just at a tiny sweet spot, but across a broad listening area.

An entirely new, Lattice tweeter uses a novel airframe in an advanced aerospace alloy, precision machined by YG Acoustics. Based on extensive research and a huge campaign of simulation, this builds on the class-leading performance of YG’s original BilletDome, and delivers exceptionally low distortion over a huge bandwidth, with wide angular dispersion to support a large sweet-spot.

Groundbreaking, third-generation Ultracoherent crossovers utilize the deep understanding available from simulation to deliver performance never before possible: exceptional phase alignment between drivers over a huge frequency range, combined with end-to-end phase behavior which optimizes impulse and transient response, preserving the tiniest of spatial cues.

Beyond that, many other new technologies are included in Reference 3, including computationally optimized tweeter waveguides, custom YG metal foil capacitors and strategic constrained layer damping in cabinets.

Most importantly, across all genres of music, Reference 3 combines outstanding realism, fidelity and imaging with a spellbinding ability to convey the emotional content of music.

To showcase their latest innovations, YG Acoustics will be demonstrating the Reference 3 models at the Munich High End show, May 18-22.

"We are thrilled to announce Reference 3 and showcase our latest innovations at Munich High End," said YG Acoustics CEO, Dr. Matthew Webster. "We have had the pleasure of listening to prototypes through the entire development process and we cannot wait to share them with representatives of the media and our customers. Every Reference 3 model opens the clearest of windows yet into the musical performance."

Reference 3 models will begin shipping to dealers and distributors later this year. For more information on YG Acoustics and their products, please visit the company’s website at yg-acoustics.com.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ctydwn and etunes

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
What is people's impression about the new 3 models, especially YG sonja 3.3?

Reactions: ctydwn

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
YG Munchen 23

Attachments

• 20230520_124844.jpg
    20230520_124844.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230520_124851.jpg
    20230520_124851.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230520_124503.jpg
    20230520_124503.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230520_124525.jpg
    20230520_124525.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230520_124833.jpg
    20230520_124833.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230520_124840.jpg
    20230520_124840.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230520_124458.jpg
    20230520_124458.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230520_124531.jpg
    20230520_124531.jpg
    910.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230520_124827.jpg
    20230520_124827.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 33

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
What is people's impression about the new 3 models, especially YG sonja 3.3?
The latest issue No 119 has the first review that I have seen of the new YG Reference 3 loudspeakers which is the first full review that I have seen, but more than endorses the initial impressions that I read post Munich.
Reviews are reviews, but it does seem that YG have come up with something special.
Has anybody had the opportunity to hear them?

Jul 5, 2021
The latest issue No 119 has the first review that I have seen of the new YG Reference 3 loudspeakers which is the first full review that I have seen, but more than endorses the initial impressions that I read post Munich.
Reviews are reviews, but it does seem that YG have come up with something special.
Has anybody had the opportunity to hear them?
What publication? Thanks

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Friday night I attended an open house at Music for Pleasure, which represents many quality audio brands here in St Louis, Missouri USA.

A representative from YG Acoustics was in the room featuring the new Hailey, with the new Weiss Helios DAC feeding Boulder 2000-series preamp and amplifier. In another room, the YG Peak series Cairn standmounts were playing. I'm very familiar with the acoustics in both rooms from visiting the store over the years, and hearing several different top-level speakers in them.

I have loved my YG Carmels (original version) for the past 11 years, and have heard the 2-series of all of their speakers at audio shows over the past few years. I was lucky enough to have Yoav Geva (original founder and engineer) provide me a full tour of their factory several years ago while in Denver on business.

I have to say that the new 3-series is a step beyond anything they have done in the past. The Hailey's were simply outstanding int their dynamics, imaging and soundstage while retaining the (to me) uncolored YG sound. The Cairn's produced strong dynamics and performed beyond their price point.

Kudos to the new owners of YG Acoustics.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Friday night I attended an open house at Music for Pleasure, which represents many quality audio brands here in St Louis, Missouri USA.

A representative from YG Acoustics was in the room featuring the new Hailey, with the new Weiss Helios DAC feeding Boulder 2000-series preamp and amplifier. In another room, the YG Peak series Cairn standmounts were playing. I'm very familiar with the acoustics in both rooms from visiting the store over the years, and hearing several different top-level speakers in them.

I have loved my YG Carmels (original version) for the past 11 years, and have heard the 2-series of all of their speakers at audio shows over the past few years. I was lucky enough to have Yoav Geva (original founder and engineer) provide me a full tour of their factory several years ago while in Denver on business.

I have to say that the new 3-series is a step beyond anything they have done in the past. The Hailey's were simply outstanding int their dynamics, imaging and soundstage while retaining the (to me) uncolored YG sound. The Cairn's produced strong dynamics and performed beyond their price point.

Having heard both Sonja 3.2 and Carmel 3 in my store, I agree with your final sentence. Reference 3 is a clear step beyond what was already fantastic!
Carmel 3 in particular has seen the biggest jump, and it did attract a lot of attention at Capital Audio Fest this past weekend.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

Thank you
I wasn't able to get to Munich this year so missed the opportunity to hear the Reference 3 range.
I had a pair of the Carmel 1s for about three years and agree with you on how good they are.I then moved on to the YG Acoustics Kipod Signature passive which has been a great buy. The bigger scale of the sound together with other improvements has confirmed them over the years as a great buy.
At the 2022 Munich Show I heard the Peak series Summit and initially found it had a very attractive sound. but on further listening found it lacked the neutrality and resolution of my Kipods. That is not to say that it is not a good speaker at its price, but it does not compare with my Kipods IMHO
The Carmel 3s look interesting and any further feedback from those who have heard them would be welcome

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
As always YG offers to upgrade the Sonjas 2.2 and 2.2i to the current version 3. The upgrade comes in 3 stages - only the tweeter, tweeter plus crossover or the the complete upgrade with tweeter, crossover and new face plate.
Does anybody aready know the costs for the upgrades?

Additionally I've read in the following article, that "The Sonja speakers incorporate a lighter and stiffer cone design. Back wave damping and absorption inside the cabinet have been updated and a new constrained layer of damping material between layers of the cabinet walls has been integrated into the design."
https://www.ecoustics.com/products/yg-acoustics-reference-sonja-loudspeakers-2023/
I understand that these changes couldn't easily be upgraded, but if you do the offered complete upgrade you'll then have some kind of hybrid version - more than a 2.2, but not really a complete 3.2.

For a couple of years I have the Sonja 2.2 and I'm very happy with them. Still consider to upgrade them if it's worth the efforts, but depends on the upgrade costs too. If somebody already had a chance to listen to the new Sonja 3.2 and knows the 2.2 well, I'd be very interested to know about the main sound differences between the two versions.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
My YG dealer talked directly with YG - there's no change with the mid-woofer and woofer cones for the 3.2, these are the same like in the 2.2.
And the crossover upgrade is a change of the complete crossover.
The only thing I don't know is if YG upgraded the damping material between the layers of the cabinet. Besides that, if you do the complete upgrade package including the front baffle you'll get a complete Sonja 3.2.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That's what I currently have in the store (in VA), an upgraded 2.2i > 3.2.
The new crossovers are absolutely massive.
For Sonja 2.2, upgrade pricing is $7,200 for the tweeter only, $19,200 for the crossovers + tweeter, and finally $22,700 for the whole thing, including the new front baffle.
This is a speaker I'm very familiar with, and I was not expecting this level of improvement that I'm hearing.

Reactions: micro13

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
The YG Accoustics facebook page has links to the Hailey 3 Tone Audio review, first impressions of the Sonya 3.3 by David Robinson, and a factory tour by HomeTheater Hifi that includes a short bit on the Sonya 3.3. I briefly heard the Sonya 3.3 at the Colorado Audio Society meeting, in a very crowded room, but had to leave early to take care of my geriatric dog. :)

Just from looking at the specs, I think the Hailey 3 might be about 30 lbs heavier than the 2.2, so perhaps there are other changes in the cabinet?

The new YG team is doing amazing work and they seem very committed both to the science and getting the best possible sound quality.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
The new crossovers are really something, never saw anything like it. At Munich they had the Hailey 3 crossover (if I remembder it right) on display. I took pictures of it, here they are

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpg
    IMG_7992.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7991.jpg
    IMG_7991.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 29

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, the crossovers are bonkers! Specially if you consider that the Series 2.xx crossovers were *not* small nor light!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
We also got some good feedback from our room at Capital Audio Fest, with Carmel 3! Owners of Carmel 2s are in for a treat with the Reference 3 upgrade...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing