MSB UMT+ iPAD app

gilfachphil

Jan 4, 2014
Can anyone who owns the UMT+ tell me whether you can use the oppo iPAD app for the BD103 to navigate around stored music files on a USB stick or HDD connected to the player? I have seen that there is an MSB app for remote control of the DAC IV and UMT+,but that just seems to duplicate the functions of the remote control whereas I am interested in being able to navigate menus without the need to have a display attached to the player and think you can do this with a BD103.

Can anyone who owns the UMT+ tell me whether you can use the oppo iPAD app for the BD103 to navigate around stored music files on a USB stick or HDD connected to the player? I have seen that there is an MSB app for remote control of the DAC IV and UMT+,but that just seems to duplicate the functions of the remote control whereas I am interested in being able to navigate menus without the need to have a display attached to the player and think you can do this with a BD103.

Your best bet is running jriver on a server and use dlna streaming to the UMT over Ethernet, and controlling the library with jremote on an iPad.

I have it and you can navigate to any music server on your system. CPU,s external drives and any thing connected to
The UMT+. It's actually pretty cool. It found every server immediately with album art. And what art is missing it finds on the internet. It even found my KRELL connect. Great app.

Al. D

Why would you want to run another program. To me jriver is when you do not have a music servers the oppo does this already . Add to this the complexities of J river and now way for me. I have it but will not use that with the MSB stack I have. Please don't get me wrong what you suggested will work but simplicity is always best, and give the best sound.

Al. D

Why would you want to run another program. To me jriver is when you do not have a music servers the oppo does this already . Add to this the complexities of J river and now way for me. I have it but will not use that with the MSB stack I have. Please don't get me wrong what you suggested will work but simplicity is always best, and give the best sound.

Al. D

In streaming mode, Jriver is just managing the library (metadata - coverart, etc. not processing anything), with far more flexibility and function / features than the native Oppo interface, and Jremote as the gold standard in Ipad based remote control.

Not even sure you can have iPad based control using the Oppo interface, but may be you can.

Thanks both for these answers. I do not want to go the whole computer audio route, am more interested in physical media. At present I have a classic dCS stack which allows me to play SACDs of which my collection includes about 250, and an oppo BD93 and projector which I use to view mainly opera on Blu ray or DVD. I have played with dowloading the free 24 bit files from Linn before Christmas and can play these either from a USB stick or HDD attached to the oppo but need the projector on to navigate the menus which is silly. I have an ipad but the only oppo app which runs on that is for the 103/105 series of players (UMT+), for the earlier players there is an Android app which I hope to try out on a friends tablet soon. I can send up to 24bit/ 96kHz to the Elgar+ dac from the oppo but for some reason it will only play the sole Blu ray audio disc I have at 16/44, which is inferior to the same recording on SACD.

Phil.

Oh I understand your point now , that is a pain. Is there a small VGA output or coax for use with as small monitor you can use.
Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing