Mozart Symphony No. 41

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mozart’s Symphony No. 41 was the first piece of classical music I ever liked. It continues to be one of my five favorites.

Why does it seem that Mozart’s Symphony No. 41 doesn’t get much respect? It seems like re-issue labels are not a big fan of this piece. I have not been able to find a tape with good provenance of this piece.

(I think my main recording of this is a King Cisco Super Analogue pressing from Japan.)

Why don’t we see debates about conductors/orchestras/performances/recordings concerning this piece? Why do you suppose this is?

How popular or unpopular is Mozart’s Symphony No. 41? Why don’t we hear about it very often?

General? Larry? What do you experts have to say on this matter?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After I posted the above I finished listening to the entire Mozart Symphony No. 41. This is without doubt my single most favorite piece of classical music.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think that the Symphony No. 41 known as the Jupiter symphony is very popular - in fact many people consider it as the masterpiece of Mozart. It is his most complex work and inspired the next generation of symphonists. Woody Allen is known to have said that Mozart's Symphony 41 proved the existence of God!

BTW, the 2017 Nobel Prize Concert included Mozart's Symphony No. 41 and Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't know why it hasn't seen more vinyl reissues... I believe I saw the Karl Bohm the other day.
I just quickly went through the versions I have on my server, and this one stood out:

It was reissued in hi-res a few years ago (that's the version I have), and it sounds pretty good.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mozart's Jupiter Symphony is one of Mozart's top symphonies. The final six symphonies are considered his finest symphonies - 35,36,38,39,40,41 (37 was not written by Mozart). Most people consider the last two symphonies, 40 in g minor, and 41 in in C major, the best of the best.

I have a bunch of copies of the Jupiter. The Klemperer SAX2486 in asiufy's post is one of them. Several of the great central European conductors have highly regarded performances, including Bruno Walter with the Columbia Symphony, Eugen Jochum with the Concertgebouw Orchestra, Karl Boehm with two sets, the Berlin Philharmonic and the Vienna Philharmonic. In addition there are several HIP (historically informed performance) recordings. The most famous was by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music.

Larry

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
IMG_3840.JPG

I've enjoyed the symphony for a long time. The Bohm Berlin Philharmonic recording from the early 70's is one of the first albums I ever purchased purchased. Unfortunately it suffers from the distant and ponderous DG sound. The Mackerras-Prague Chamber Orchestra recording is much more present and lively - even though it is all digital. I'm too cheap to buy reissues so I'm generally not on the lookout for them.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Mozart's Jupiter Symphony is one of Mozart's top symphonies. The final six symphonies are considered his finest symphonies - 35,36,38,39,40,41 (37 was not written by Mozart). Most people consider the last two symphonies, 40 in g minor, and 41 in in C major, the best of the best.

I have a bunch of copies of the Jupiter. The Klemperer SAX2486 in asiufy's post is one of them. Several of the great central European conductors have highly regarded performances, including Bruno Walter with the Columbia Symphony, Eugen Jochum with the Concertgebouw Orchestra, Karl Boehm with two sets, the Berlin Philharmonic and the Vienna Philharmonic. In addition there are several HIP (historically informed performance) recordings. The most famous was by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music.

Larry

Thank you, Larry!

Have you been able to find any good performances on tape?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
the final 6 Mozart Symphonies are regulars in my Sunday morning music listening. get's my mind right.

hard to have a bad Sunday after that. listening to the Bohm/Berlin #41 now (96/24).

Thank you, Mike! Which is your favorite vinyl version of this title?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thank you, Larry!

Have you been able to find any good performances on tape?

Ron, you need to PM me on that. I don't personally have a tape versions, but can point you toward 3. Larry

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ron,
I have an Arian Jansen Holographic Imaging tape of this performance you have to hear next time you're down. One of my favorites along with Requem and Oboe Concerto.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
I have an Arian Jansen Holographic Imaging tape of this performance you have to hear next time you're down. One of my favorites along with Requem and Oboe Concerto.

I would love to hear that!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I purchased it. Thank you very much General!:)

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Josef Krips recorded the last 20 symphonies with the Concertgebouw for Philips. It is one of the best box sets available. I prefer that one to the complete cycle by Bohm.

In historical recordings, I would need to mention Bruno Walter wth the Philharmonic-Symphony Orcherstra of New York (Philips) and with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra (Columbia Masterworks).

In the early 80ies, Colin Davis with the Staatskapelle Dresden (Philips) and Nikolous Harnoncourt with the Concertgebouw (Telefunken) made beautiful recordings but these are digital.

But to me what Hogwood achieved remains a reference. This is the cycle I listen the most.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Larry

Mozart Symphonies 40 and 41 are a great pairing. I also very much like Kubelík for the same but as Bruno Walter’s Mozart Symphonies 40 and 41 was my first ever Mozart recording so is still for me a sentimental favourite (I’d have Bruno Walter on any thing Mahler or Mozart)

Here’s the very great man driving the baton at the final turns of Mozart Symphony 40 in g minor. He is such an absolute joy in action. Wonderful to see these moments of extraordinary civility just a handful of years before the great madness began.

Bruno Walter Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 1930

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and jeff1225

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing