Mozart Requiem recommendations?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for Mozart's Requiem. A specific vinyl pressing. Looking for a great performance, and high audio quality.

I have this one, and while it's generally nice, I'd say it's not as dynamic as I think it should be. This really needs to pop.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Exciting music. Thanks for intruducing.

Reactions: bazelio

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I see digital recommendation so I will also suggest a digital version you may enjoy. Mackerras with Scottish Chamber Orchestra. You can find it on sacd as well.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I would recommend two versions that are very different from each other: a classical interpretation and a more radical one: the first is from Colin Davis and the more recent one from Teodor Currentzis. The latter is a limited edition double 45 RPM from Alpha. There are still a few available.

724EC276-FF0E-42B0-9945-2185FA313380.jpeg

10A5B50B-6D65-46E8-AD6B-2CE6D852ED45.jpeg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
For performance it does seem hard to find a definitive Mozart Requiem... Marriner, Solti, Celibidache (perhaps too slow), Karajan, Mehta, Bohm, Giulini, Mackerras, all varying kinds of beautiful, haunting, grand, but the one that is stark and intense and on the doorway to the edge of life and death could be the Bruno Walter... intense and stripped bare of sentimentality and at times just with gravitas and an approaching fierceness...

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
For performance it does seem hard to find a definitive Mozart Requiem... Marriner, Solti, Celibidache (perhaps too slow), Karajan, Mehta, Bohm, Giulini, Mackerras, all varying kinds of beautiful, haunting, grand, but the one that is stark and intense and on the doorway to the edge of life and death could be the Bruno Walter... intense and stripped bare of sentimentality and at times just with gravitas and an approaching fierceness...
@zerostargeneral thank you, I'll look closer at that as I'd never seen it before.

@the sound of Tao - the Marriner sounds too hyper to me. I like the Solti but haven't found a great sounding LP. My Bohm pressing has great clarity but sounds dynamically restricted.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I would recommend two versions that are very different from each other: a classical interpretation and a more radical one: the first is from Colin Davis and the more recent one from Teodor Currentzis. The latter is a limited edition double 45 RPM from Alpha. There are still a few available.

View attachment 72693

View attachment 72696
Is your Colin Davis SAL3649? Just a few minutes on YouTube, and I'm loving this one.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Hi, I second the Currentzis / MusicAeterna as a contemporary interpretation on Alpha.
For dynamcis and good recording there is also the Karajan /BPO 1961 recording on DGG.

I agree that a definitive Requiem is a bit like Bach's Mass in B minor for me: it takes 3-4 different ones to make a "definitive collage":confused:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for Mozart's Requiem. A specific vinyl pressing. Looking for a great performance, and high audio quality.

I have this one, and while it's generally nice, I'd say it's not as dynamic as I think it should be. This really needs to
Hi all,

I have this one, and while it's generally nice, I'd say it's not as dynamic as I think it should be. This really needs to pop.

One of my favorites 31C814FA-FD75-4011-9C17-80A5E8ACD2FD.jpeg

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Although digital (available as SACD as well) I like Harnoncourt's interpretation:

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing