most iconic song ever--- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Two musicians from Seattle who influenced music far more than Nirvana and the rest, in my opinion, are Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles. To have one legend from a single town is uncommon, but to have more than one is extraordinary!

Ray Charles grew up in Florida.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
always liked Alice in Chains over Nirvana, with Pearl Jam in third.

Layne Staley had an iconic voice and Jerry Cantrell is the best guitar player in all of grunge.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
are you over 50 years old?

you don't count even a little.

this song was basically the Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction' of the 90's. x100 since there was not much else going on at the time....as the 80's were mostly a nothing decade for pop music.

Cobain suggested he ripped off the main riff from “More Than A Feeling” by Boston, which rhymically speaking is pretty accurate. Cobain was a big pop fan, especially of the Beatles and the Pixies, and Butch Vig has mentioned Cobain had the sensibility of someone who simply loved writing hooky pop songs.

Mosin said:
A few very famous ones that you forgot come to mind...

Diana Krall, Avril Lavigne, and the legendary guitarist, Amos Garrett.

My favorite new Canadian singer is Serena Ryder.

Celine Dion is Canadian. Someone said that Canadians made her famous to get even with the United States for unleashing Cher.

What?! No love for Rush?!

Man, I must have played along to every Rush album they ever put out right up until “Test for Echo”. Not much love for anything after that admittedly, but c’mon Canada…!

*Special mention to Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Keith R said:
always liked Alice in Chains over Nirvana, with Pearl Jam in third.

Layne Staley had an iconic voice and Jerry Cantrell is the best guitar player in all of grunge.

I loved “Dirt”. Completely agree that Cantrell has monster tone and that he and Staley had that really spooky melody/harmony thing nailed that just got under your skin. But for me, Soundgarden comes first, and everyone else a distant second. Pretty much everything from “Ultramega OK” through to “Down on the Upside” has been played a couple of times a year, although I couldn’t quite gel with “King Animal”, Adam Kasper’s un-flashy production style notwithstanding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing