More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Of course it's achieved nothing so far. An unholy alliance that makes up the radical right will do anything to stop change. You have Evangelicals that believe God will fix everything, industrialists like the Koch brothers that like their money too much, the no-nothing wing of the Republican party that denies all science, and the Greatest and Baby Boomer generations that can't conceive that their actions brought on this disaster.

Sadly, the climate crisis will only begin to be solved in 15-20 years when all of these people die.

Beautifully articulated!

Reactions: jeff1225

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Of course it's achieved nothing so far. An unholy alliance that makes up the radical right will do anything to stop change. You have Evangelicals that believe God will fix everything, industrialists like the Koch brothers that like their money too much, the no-nothing wing of the Republican party that denies all science, and the Greatest and Baby Boomer generations that can't conceive that their actions brought on this disaster.

Sadly, the climate crisis will only begin to be solved in 15-20 years when all of these people die.

How’s this going to work when AOC says mankind only has 12 years left to fix this (and Bernie and Tom say 8-9 years)?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
How’s this going to work when AOC says mankind only has 12 years left to fix this (and Bernie and Tom say 8-9 years)?

Who cares what politicians say? I care about what scientists say. And yes, they say we have just a few years to fix this.

This is not about "my tribe vs your tribe". We and especially our children will all be deeply affected by this, regardless if at this point we deny it or not. We are all on this planet together, and unfortunately there is no planet B.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Who cares what politicians say? I care about what scientists say. And yes, they say we have just a few years to fix this.

This is not about "my tribe vs your tribe". We and especially our children will all be deeply affected by this, regardless if at this point we deny it or not. We all on this planet together, and unfortunately there is no planet B.

Wow, now down to only a few years. How do you expect a planet of billions of people to change their habits in only a few years?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Wow, now down to only a few years.

Well, 'few' referred to your numbers.

How do you expect a planet of billions of people to change their habits in only a few years?

I don't. But future generations who will have to live with that catastrophe will ask themselves how we could be so stupid and such moral failures to let this happen. They will not care about our political tribalisms, they will think very badly of us. And who will blame them?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Well, 'few' referred to your numbers.

I don't. But future generations who will have to live with that catastrophe will ask themselves how we could be so stupid and such moral failures to let this happen. They will not care about our political tribalisms, they will think very badly of us. And who will blame them?

Let’s be honest here. We’re on a forum dedicated to the ultra high end playback of music. Talk about one of the most frivolous things imaginable as the world is ending. For anyone on here commenting about the end of mankind as they’re burning fossil fuels to listen to their music is pretty ridiculous (even better when vendors build gear to sell!). If I thought the world was ending I’d be doing everything possible not to add to the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe P

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Part of our evening news last night showed the decimation of Australia with the ongoing wild fires. For a second I thought I was watching the fires in California. I didn't realize how bad it is in Australia. There is not a person there who hasn't been affected in some way by these wild fires in Australia. Ours are hopefully gone until next year as our temperature has cooled considerably and we are now having a lot of rain. Here in California, the downside of having a rainy season follow a hot summer filled that was filled with fires all over the state is now the threat of devastating mudslides as there is nothing growing on the scorched hillsides which then give way to deadly mudslides. It's a terrible vicious circle

I would bet Ron that the higher state wide premiums about which you worry won't be as high as those policy holders of Chubb Insurance. Sure Chubb will insure anything.....but only "for the right price"
'Where I live there are homes that cannot sell because of where they are located and/or homes that have been sold but the new buyer cannot obtain fire insurance in his homeowners' policy and the house falls out of escrow as no mortgage underwriter will approve funding without fire insurance.

I am not a fan of our governor here in California but I do feel his move to do what he did was the right thing to do regarding insurance companies and fire insurance
Here in New South Wales there are currently over a million hectares of land on fire and it’s not even the worst of the current weather conditions yet. We have had months again way beyond seasonal levels of bush fire and the ocean and the beach yesterday were just full of black ash after the biggest continuous bushfire that I’ve seen in my life. The skies are at times quite yellow, the sun has often been a dark pink at the close of the day, a few days lately it’s been quite dark even in the mid afternoon just because of the smoke and ash.

The United Nations IPCC projections on impacts at various increased global temperatures identified even back a decade ago that even with just less than a degree C rise in global mean sea and surface temperature that increased extreme fire risk was projected. For years we have discussed the implications that changing climate could have in my work as part of landscape design training but when you start living it it’s much more immediate and profound. They stop just being ideas and words and come to life and start being experiences and reality and the level of impact to life in this new phase of the world and what it might actually be like brings reality to focus. All the implications start to surface. Poor land management and now increased bushfires have huge environmental impacts creating a bio feedback issue by then releasing sudden massive amounts of additional CO2.

With wildfires becoming more common even in Northern Europe even planned reforestation strategies as a way of now sequesting carbon like the massive reforestation of Siberia may not even be a good strategy until we can get the climate back into a safer less forest fire prone model from its current state of human modified behaviour and back down to within the normal parameters of peak atmospheric CO2 concentrations being (while naturally variable) always somewhere less than the 300ppm peaks that it has had over the last few hundred thousand years.

We are currently well over a third higher CO2 in the atmosphere than any measure in over 800,000 years and unfortunately on track to overshoot this and force greenhouse concentrations and heat impacts some ways further.

The recent discovery of increasing oxygen depletion and potential dead zones in great parts of the worlds oceans (due to sea temperature rise) is a whole new impact that has come to surface lately in scientific data and ocean oxygen depletion especially endangers the larger fish species (sharks, tuna etc) and is a separate additional threat to the threats of pollution and ocean acidification that already project increased potential for widespread species loss in the marine life throughout our oceans.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here in New South Wales there are currently over a million hectares of land on fire and it’s not even the worst of the current weather conditions yet. We have had months again way beyond seasonal levels of bush fire and the ocean and the beach yesterday were just full of black ash after the biggest continuous bushfire that I’ve seen in my life. The skies are at times quite yellow, the sun has often been a dark pink at the close of the day, a few days lately it’s been quite dark even in the mid afternoon just because of the smoke and ash.

The United Nations IPCC projections on impacts at various increased global temperatures identified even back a decade ago that even with just less than a degree C rise in global mean sea and surface temperature that increased extreme fire risk was projected. For years we have discussed the implications that changing climate could have in my work as part of landscape design training but when you start living it it’s much more immediate and profound. They stop just being ideas and words and come to life and start being experiences and reality and the level of impact to life in this new phase of the world and what it might actually be like brings reality to focus. All the implications start to surface. Poor land management and now increased bushfires have huge environmental impacts creating a bio feedback issue by then releasing sudden massive amounts of additional CO2.

With wildfires becoming more common even in Northern Europe even planned reforestation strategies as a way of now sequesting carbon like the massive reforestation of Siberia may not even be a good strategy until we can get the climate back into a safer less forest fire prone model from its current state of human modified behaviour and back down to within the normal parameters of peak atmospheric CO2 concentrations being (while naturally variable) always somewhere less than the 300ppm peaks that it has had over the last few hundred thousand years.

We are currently well over a third higher CO2 in the atmosphere than any measure in over 800,000 years and unfortunately on track to overshoot this and force greenhouse concentrations and heat impacts some ways further.

The recent discovery of increasing oxygen depletion and potential dead zones in great parts of the worlds oceans (due to sea temperature rise) is a whole new impact that has come to surface in scientific data that especially endangers larger fish species (sharks, tuna etc) and is a separate threat again to the threat of pollution and ocean acidification that already projects increased and widespread species loss in the marine life throughout our oceans. Our understanding of what this can actually be like is now growing with every year.

Tao

i can feel your pain and angst by the nature and gravity of your post.
Stay safe. I’ve lived through many fire seasons here in SoCal but none of the severity that is ravishing Australia

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tao

i can feel your pain and angst by the nature and gravity of your post.
Stay safe. I’ve lived through many fire seasons here in SoCal but none of the severity that is ravishing Australia
Thanks Steve, it’s getting to a different level of reality when the state’s fire services admit that they can’t really manage these wild fires and people do need to determine for themselves whether to stay with their homes or evacuate. Where we are is not even the worst of it by a long shot as the impacts of long term fire become obvious. People in many areas often unable to get to work, schools needing to be closed at times, environmental damage, the loss of life and homes as well as wild life from the fires... as the typical fire season extends the traditional short term impacts of these events turn into a much longer term attrition. Impacts on resilience in the system become more of a challenge. That’s socially, environmentally and economically more challenged, its across the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I had no idea there is so much hate out there. Let's stop blaming others and start respecting those with opposing views. Can we listen to each other without insults? WBF is not a college campus where one side shouts out the opposing points of view and starts to riot. Come on now!
Not that simple Peter. When those with opposing views ie the left are determined to take your money and your rights away then control your healthcare, food supply, education, religion, freedom of speech, how you live your life, nationality and don't even accept your right to vote for who want nor the democratic processes if they lose there's nothing to respect and climate change agenda is another way to control you through legislature. There's absolutely nothing to discuss when one side want to steal your life nor will we ever come together with that mindset, we can either live together or we don't depends on how far they want to push to run our lives. While this isn't a college campus a forum is where people congregate so such discussions are only natural.

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well you got that right. Wonder how much she’s making for being the puppet she is? They say Al Gore made $200M on his scam and fear tactics. With her starting so young she really has the potential to rake it in. I suppose her challenge will be maintaining her marketing appeal as she ages.

I'm not concerned about people making money, living wealthy.
I'm concerned about people making it alive, living healthy,

Climate change is not about Greta or Gore, it's about you and me, all of us.
Put our money into real actions, fly free, fly solar energy propelled propeller.
Drive free, drive no roof the wind in your face and hair, electric battery powered.
Put the roof on when it's hazy, air polluted, snowing, raining, freezing cold, hot air burning from Australian bush fires.

I don't need Greta, I don't need Gore, I don't need anyone to do what's right for me and what I believe in. It's my money, I work my butts off to earn it, I spend it clean free and play healthy the hardcore way. The rest...gas, oil, pollution, plastics, toxic wastes, nuclear plutonium, control of the Internet, 1984 George Orwell ... it's all cheap whiskey.
I put my money where my mouth is...in a better environment for a better world for our children's children ... I don't need any Greta or Gore to lead me where they're already, blinded behind a harsh reality that they cannot control. It's the people who have the power, not Greta, not Gore, but the voters with their own money, and the money from nobody else, zero money from nobody else.

See, we just need to see clear by removing all that polluted haze in front of us, by removing the pollutants, the polluters, the polluter's supporters, the charlatans, the corrupted, the moneymakers ego, the selfish crooks, the killers of our planet. Create jobs where it counts the most...bridges for electric transportation of goods and clean food and water where supply is scarce.

Greta and Gore we don't need them, we're old enough to see where we're going and make the right choice when it's time to spend our own money and vote with our own money. We don't tell anyone how to live, they'll catch up on their own when they're dead from cancer and under a fake mountain of bloody cash. They are expandable, we're not.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

NO POLITICS!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Not that simple Peter. When those with opposing views ie the left are determined to take your money and your rights away then control your healthcare, food supply, education, religion, freedom of speech, how you live your life, nationality and don't even accept your right to vote for who want nor the democratic processes if they lose there's nothing to respect and climate change agenda is another way to control you through legislature. There's absolutely nothing to discuss when one side want to steal your life nor will we ever come together with that mindset, we can either live together or we don't depends on how far they want to push to run our lives. While this isn't a college campus a forum is where people congregate so such discussions are only natural.

david

NO POLITICS!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Recently I've watched the skies over Australia, the people fighting on the ground, other countries flying over to help and sacrificing their Christmas holidays with their kids, firefighters from my own country, ...that, is reality.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

david

Oh boy, what a caricature of the 'left'. I won't bother with a rebuttal, also since I have just been reminded again to leave politics aside.

Edit: And again. Didn't see Ron's posts before replying.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Steve Williams

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Oh boy, what a caricature of the 'left'. I won't bother with a rebuttal, also since I have just been reminded again to leave politics aside.

Edit: And again. Didn't see Ron's posts before replying.
What you call a caricature is on public view daily for the past 11 years :mad:.
david

Reactions: djsina2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing